Quantum LM Fireball @ 33DMA Not 66DMA!

philMac

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Okay I had an old PII350, I needed more space about a year ago bought the fireball, it was ok, the seek times was a bit slower than i thought it should be. The MB only supported ATA/DMA 33 so i ran an app from from quantum that changed my drive from ATA/DMA 666 to ATA/DMA 33 so it would run better.

Now i have a new machine, I'm running a Soltec DRV4 Mobo, which supports ATA/DMA 133. I'm using the IDE cabale that. I have ran the same app changing the drive mode back (several times). Yet it is still running at ATA/DMA 33.

Also it sounds like it is hemridgeing quite alot. it didn't used to be that loud?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Do you have it on an ATA33 or ATA66 cable?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Have you checked your DMA setting in your BIOS and your OS? Set your DMA in your BIOS to AUTO, and in your OS enable DMA if available. You may need to install/reinstall your mobo's IDE/DMA drivers to enabe UDMA for that drive. Although I would get a new HD if I were you, as they are cheap and fast, and it's a shame to see that pretty 133 running a slow HD.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.