Sign in with
Your question

Erratic Wireless Speed

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 29, 2012 2:49:52 PM

Hello all my name is Brett. I'd like to first introduce myself because I've been browsing the forums for years never needing to post. But, I've just about had it with these hp's I work on from time to time.

The issue at hand is with an older nx9010. The specs are:

Windows XP Professional
Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz
512MB RAM
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

I am running a SBC 12 mbps fiber optic line with a 3600HGV 2WIRE Gateway. I've set the security from wep open, shared, wpa-psk and wpa2-psk. Just about everything except leaving the network unsecured.

The problem I am having is with very erratic download speeds. while downloading through IE or Chrome the download starts slow and may go up to 100 to 200 kB/s.

I tested with a torrent last night and the download ranged anywhere from 10 kB/s to 1.3 MB/s but never staying at a consistent speed. It would fluctuate from these numbers very quickly never keeping that solid speed. I know torrents can be this way but this as a very healthy torrent I was using and know this was not due to the torrent.

I have tested with different drivers, disabled antivirus and firewall. Do not know where to go from here.

Also, I have never seen this before. When I go to check the wireless connection in Network connections or in the task bar usually the speed of the network is at 1 Mbps and I can watch it go to 1.1, 2.0, 5.5 and sometimes 11.0 Mbps. When I was very close to the gateway it briefly jumped to 54 Mbps. The laptop was inches away from the gateway. As I write this the network speed is at 1.0 Mbps and I am about 15 feet from the gateway.

More about : erratic wireless speed

February 29, 2012 5:43:36 PM

I'm leaning towards the idea that the issue is the wireless gateway. Setting the laptop right next to the gateway I get a solid connection up to 54 Mbps which is what the gateway is broadcasting. Moving 5-10' away I get a substantial drop to 5.5 Mbps and the Xbox a few rooms over does have issues dropping from xbox live when connecting wireless.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I be phoning ATT?
m
l
February 29, 2012 7:47:24 PM

check your access point settings, look for auto frequency swapping or something like that.
most of the time, it's set default to hop between 20MHz - 40MHz.
also, check the signal type output - is it b/g/n signal output? maybe set it to output g only and see if that helps.

however, if you're in the same room, 15ft away and you only get 1Mbps connection, you have a hardware problem, either in the AP or the laptop wifi card.
i would replace (or get an additional) wi-fi access point
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 8:18:59 PM

I'll check on the auto frequency. Should it be set for the default 20MHz - 40MHz? The AP was set to b/g but i changed it to only output g while waiting for a response to this thread and it did seem to help a bit. I also changed the channel because most of the networks around me seem to be 2WIRE networks. I am going on the hunch that they are all set to the same default and nobody would have any reason to change them. ( assuming they are not technically inclined).
m
l
March 1, 2012 1:34:00 AM

So basically it's the hardware? I've been trying setting after setting with no success unless the laptop is sitting right next to the AP.
m
l
!