Sign in with
Your question

What are the negatives of a second GPU in SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2013 7:18:14 AM

I've had this computer for ~4 months now.

Computer as it is now:

Corsair HX850
Intel Core i5-3570K
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
Samsung 830 Series 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC SSD
Western Digital WD Black1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner

Planning to add:

Another EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB for SLI
An Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card

Are there any negatives to having a second GTX 680 in SLI? Will it cause any problems with my above setup? I've heard about things like latency(?) issues? I'm not really sure. Any advice and elaboration on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)  .

More about : negatives gpu sli

a c 132 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 7:41:35 PM

There are a few actually.

1. Heat
2. Power
3. Scaling even though Nvidia does a good job with SLi.
4. Not everything uses it a good amount of things do however for the investment you have to ask a few things.
1. If you are using multiple screens in your configuration as well as spanning over multiple monitors.
2. If you are doing 3D?
3. Running something higher then 1200p

4b. If you aren't doing any of the following 3 things you are throwing money away in my opinion.

By the way I like that soundcard however I'd be certain you have a headset that can plug into it.
February 6, 2013 7:19:14 AM

bigshootr8 said:
There are a few actually.

1. Heat
2. Power
3. Scaling even though Nvidia does a good job with SLi.
4. Not everything uses it a good amount of things do however for the investment you have to ask a few things.
1. If you are using multiple screens in your configuration as well as spanning over multiple monitors.
2. If you are doing 3D?
3. Running something higher then 1200p

4b. If you aren't doing any of the following 3 things you are throwing money away in my opinion.

By the way I like that soundcard however I'd be certain you have a headset that can plug into it.

Can you describe to me what scaling is? Thanks.
a c 132 U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:04:38 AM

Scaling is how well something does together. So in this case graphic cards don't equal a 100 % percent scaling meaning that when you put to cards in your computer you don't get 2x the ram and you don't get double the performance you get a decent increase in performance but you don't get double. Also, depending on the application you may not see any benefit at all from using a multi gpu configuration. So in other words 1 card plus 1 card equals >2.
!