Unable to record streaming audio

Last response: in Home Audio
August 9, 2004 9:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
recording program to work.

Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
any sense.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 4:59:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Bob,

It's been years since I owned an AWE model card, so I'm not sure of its
capabilities. You need to find the place in the Windows or AWE mixer program
that lets you select the Record Source. Try Wave output or WhatUHear. As I
recall you should be able to do what you want.

--Ethan
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 5:23:20 PM

"Bob Jones" <questionz_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
> recording program to work.
>
> Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
> I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
> any sense.

Try Total Recorder

http://www.highcriteria.com/
August 11, 2004 2:01:09 PM

questionz_99@yahoo.com (Bob Jones) wrote in message news:<4396eabe.0408091601.5d42727a@posting.google.com>...
> My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
> recording program to work.
>
> Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
> I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
> any sense.
>
> Any suggestions?

Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
"what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
streaming audio.

CD
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
> "what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
> any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
> streaming audio.

That would be great, except no "what you hear" option appears under
sound cards in Control Panel. SoundBlaster does not provide XP
drivers, so the AWE 64 uses built-in XP support.
August 13, 2004 5:28:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Buy TotalRecorder for $12. Works great.

> > Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
> > "what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
> > any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
> > streaming audio.
>
> That would be great, except no "what you hear" option appears under
> sound cards in Control Panel. SoundBlaster does not provide XP
> drivers, so the AWE 64 uses built-in XP support.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:21:39 AM

Bob Jones wrote:
>>Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
>>"what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
>>any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
>>streaming audio.
>

> That would be great, except no "what you hear" option appears under
> sound cards in Control Panel. SoundBlaster does not provide XP
> drivers, so the AWE 64 uses built-in XP support.
Well, if they have a Win2000 driver, that should work. WinXP and 2000
aren't dramatically different OSes. EVen NT 4.0 drivers might work, but
admittedly, that's a bit of a stretch.

CD
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
lets you record using almost any sound card.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.replay-radio.com/enhanced_sound_card_driver....

questionz_99@yahoo.com (Bob Jones) wrote in message news:<4396eabe.0408091601.5d42727a@posting.google.com>...
> My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
> recording program to work.
>
> Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
> I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
> any sense.
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:55:14 AM

bill@applian.com (Applian) wrote in message news:<63e84665.0408171443.f736043@posting.google.com>...
> Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
> lets you record using almost any sound card.

Thanks. Tried it, and it didn't work.

The SB AWE64 Value is supposed to be capable of full-duplex, as long
as you don't try to compress the audio. I've tried several programs,
including the much-recommended Total Recorder, without any success.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems with this card?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:02:28 PM

Bob Jones wrote:
> bill@applian.com (Applian) wrote in message news:<63e84665.0408171443.f736043@posting.google.com>...
>
>>Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
>>lets you record using almost any sound card.
>

> Thanks. Tried it, and it didn't work.
>
> The SB AWE64 Value is supposed to be capable of full-duplex, as long
> as you don't try to compress the audio. I've tried several programs,
> including the much-recommended Total Recorder, without any success.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems with this card?
I had a similar duplex issue with my Santa Cruz, and it turned out to be
the driver. The card was full duplex. I called tech support to get it
working and just kept getting answers which I knew to try, like giving
the card it's own IRQ, re-installing into a different slot etc. The card
did not work full duplex with Windows 98. When I upgraded the same
machine to Win XP and used the 2000 drivers instead of the 98 drivers
from before, voila, full duplex on the first install.

Same card, same PC, but different OS.

CD
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:05:09 PM

Bob Jones wrote:

> bill@applian.com (Applian) wrote in message news:<63e84665.0408171443.f736043@posting.google.com>...
>
>>Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
>>lets you record using almost any sound card.
>

> Thanks. Tried it, and it didn't work.
>
> The SB AWE64 Value is supposed to be capable of full-duplex, as long
> as you don't try to compress the audio. I've tried several programs,
> including the much-recommended Total Recorder, without any success.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems with this card?
Oh, and by the way, when the card finally started working full duplex I
was also able to record streaming audio using the turtle beach control
panel software, which I wasn't able to do before.

CD
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 5:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On 20 Aug 2004 23:55:14 -0700, questionz_99@yahoo.com (Bob Jones)
wrote:

>bill@applian.com (Applian) wrote in message news:<63e84665.0408171443.f736043@posting.google.com>...
>> Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
>> lets you record using almost any sound card.
>
>Thanks. Tried it, and it didn't work.
>
>The SB AWE64 Value is supposed to be capable of full-duplex, as long
>as you don't try to compress the audio. I've tried several programs,
>including the much-recommended Total Recorder, without any success.
>
>I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems with this card?

If you have the ISA-bus AWE64, please note that its full-duplex
operation requires one direction to be 8-bits and one to be 16-bits.
This is due to the dedicated use of high and low DMA channels
for transfers. As far as I know, the only ISA-bus Sound Blaster
cards that can do full-duplex with 16-bits in both directions are
the ViBRA 16X series CT4170, 4171, etc. These use the
decidedly-strange approach of using two 8-bit DMA channels
and doing double transfers to get 16-bit operation. It's a
special mode just for this series; other models don't allow it.

However, I think there are also PCI cards that reused the
AWE64 name. I don't know if they have the the same
limitations as the ISA-bus models. Creative Labs has
always been a little over-the-top with model names and
features, so you can never infer too much from the names.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:51:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> However, I think there are also PCI cards that reused the
> AWE64 name.

Mine is the AWE64 Value PCI card. Remember, SB no longer provides
updated drivers or software for this card, so no mixer or control
panel or anything of that kind is available. It either works with the
XP drivers or it doesn't.

It seems to me that it's time to try a different card.
!