GTX460 misbehaving

poumpouris

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hi guys,

i have a problem with my graphics card and i would like your opinions on the matter. You can see my PC specs below. The problem is that when i power my PC on, one of my two graphics cards (gigabyte GTX460) does not work. I'm using the word "work" because i can see inside my PC that its fans work which means that power goes to it. Ive tried removing the other card and trying the faulty one on both PCI-E slots and i get the same results. This card has 5 led lights on top of it which used to light up when i started my PC, now they only light up for half a second right when push the power button and then stay off and the graphics card is not recognized by the system. Keep in mind that before i had this problem it used to work just fine. I didn't make any changes to my hardware , this happened after formatting my hard drive to reinstall windows. It used work once in a while but now it has been over a month since it last worked. Something else u should know is that i never overclocked any of my hardware.

Thank you

PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus III Gene (1156 Socket)
CPU: i5 760 @2.8 GHz
Ram: 4x2gb Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
Psu: Corsair TX750
HD: Kingston SSDNow 128gb
Graphics card: Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB
Graphics Card(faulty): Gigabyte GTX460 Super Overclock 1GB

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
If you have just formatted the drives and reinstalled, you need to install drivers in windows (just once, it will detect both cards) for the video cards, then if you are doing multi-monitoring or SLI, you need to go into the windows desktop properties and Nvidia control panel to enable either or both. Without the card enabled explicitly for multi-monitor or SLI, it will just render and do nothing.

poumpouris

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
The system was working in SLI but not multi-monitor before the format, drivers installed and everything, it has worked a few times after the format as well but not anymore. Nvidia control panel does not show the card in its menus and neither does the device manager.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, in that case, try taking the working card out, and plugging in the non-working (yet) 460 into the slot the working card was in. See if you can get the card to work properly by itself.