Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Replacing Thermal Paste on MSI N560GTX OC Twin Forzer II

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 5, 2013 6:54:17 PM

Hi all. I have an MSI N560GTX OC Twin Forzer II graphic card ( http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Twin-Frozr-II-OC.... ) that seems to be running warmer than it used to. I would like to clean and replace the thermal paste. I've done this before on CPUs, but never on a card. Does anyone know of a dis-assembly video or article that shows exactly how to take apart the card and get down to the GPU... without ruining something?
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 7:06:46 PM

well every card is different. It's a little harder, but just about the same thing. Unscrew everything and then just pull the heat sink off.
Score
0

Best solution

February 5, 2013 7:12:22 PM

box o rocks said:
Hi all. I have an MSI N560GTX OC Twin Forzer II graphic card ( http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Twin-Frozr-II-OC.... ) that seems to be running warmer than it used to. I would like to clean and replace the thermal paste. I've done this before on CPUs, but never on a card. Does anyone know of a dis-assembly video or article that shows exactly how to take apart the card and get down to the GPU... without ruining something?


Hi dont know how similar the older design cooler is and its a totally different card but ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExfK6_zZRU

Thats a Twin frozr III but it might help you get the gist of it :) 

EDIT oops just noticed he uses toilet paper to clean, I would recommend a lint free cloth/coffee filter
Share
Related resources
February 5, 2013 7:35:31 PM

shADy81 said:
Hi dont know how similar the older design cooler is and its a totally different card but ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExfK6_zZRU

Thats a Twin frozr III but it might help you get the gist of it :) 

EDIT oops just noticed he uses toilet paper to clean, I would recommend a lint free cloth/coffee filter

Darn! I didn't know it was that easy. I thought I'd have to start taking apart the cover, fans, and heat sync to get to it. It all comes apart from the 4 bolts on the back! Also, I was afraid there might be several thermal pads on the VRMs, etc. that I'd have to deal with. Excellent video. Thank you. I have been searching for a half hour and couldn't find one.

Yes, I always use coffee filters too for my CPU/cooler. And I see he used MX-4 in the video. That's what I was planning on using too.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 7:35:37 PM

You can also yea cue tips and use rubbing alcohol there is more then likely not a lot of gunk.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 7:39:07 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You can also yea cue tips and use rubbing alcohol there is more then likely not a lot of gunk.

I've got some Arctic Cleaner and some Arctic Purifier I use for CPUs. I was planning on using that for cleaning. ??
Score
0
February 5, 2013 7:43:35 PM

Thats what I used on mine, worked fine. Also Bigshootr, you would be surprised how much gunk MSI put on my card, looked like the applied it with a building trowel :p  and I know i'm not the only one. You may find your temps drop quite a lot.

Good luck :) 
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 7:46:38 PM

Nice box I have that solution as well its really nice. My family doesn't like it though because it does leave a very noticeable smell throughout the house.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised I would either thing with companies they would put to little or too much.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 7:59:31 PM

Thanks everyone. Ohh, one last question...
In that video, did it look like he used a bit too little MX-4? I always use a pea size dab on my CPUs. And just a dot in the middle, huh? No spreading? Just wondering.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 8:11:22 PM

I think your method is just fine. I think people get a little antsy about whether it will spread or not proportionally.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 8:13:44 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I think your method is just fine. I think people get a little antsy about whether it will spread or not proportionally.

I agree. I like to let pressure and heat spread it where it needs to go.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 8:31:53 PM

Agreed at least then you don't worry about over doing it.
Score
0
February 7, 2013 1:57:58 AM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Score
0
!