Sign in with
Your question

ViewSonic VSD220

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2013 8:20:35 PM

My monitor is over three years old and is starting to show age a little. It's bot a couple stuck pixels. I am planning on getting two or three 27" monitors to replace it in the near future (it is a 23"). I haven't decided if I want to go with 1920x1080, or 2560x1440. I am shying towards 1440, but like I said, I'm still deciding. It will all likely be running on my Radeon 6950 until the 8000 series comes out and I upgrade.

At the same time, I want to get a touchscreen. I draw from time to time, and I also like to chill-out on my bed while using my desktop. I have an Intuos4 medium that I have been using between my laptop and desktop, but switching is annoying, and I would like to have a screen to draw directly on (scaling from a real tablet to a multi-monitor setup is a nuisance as well). The Cintiq would be the optimal choice, but plainly that is a very expensive option. So I found this ViewSonic VSD220. It looks fairly decent, particularly the idea that it can switch from a monitor to a tablet PC on Android. I'm thinking I may even consider forgetting about a full laptop replacement.

Does anyone know of similar devices, or have used this one specifically? Any concerns? Warnings? Precautions?

More about : viewsonic vsd220

February 7, 2013 5:08:22 AM

DRosencraft said:
My monitor is over three years old and is starting to show age a little. It's bot a couple stuck pixels. I am planning on getting two or three 27" monitors to replace it in the near future (it is a 23"). I haven't decided if I want to go with 1920x1080, or 2560x1440. I am shying towards 1440, but like I said, I'm still deciding. It will all likely be running on my Radeon 6950 until the 8000 series comes out and I upgrade.

At the same time, I want to get a touchscreen. I draw from time to time, and I also like to chill-out on my bed while using my desktop. I have an Intuos4 medium that I have been using between my laptop and desktop, but switching is annoying, and I would like to have a screen to draw directly on (scaling from a real tablet to a multi-monitor setup is a nuisance as well). The Cintiq would be the optimal choice, but plainly that is a very expensive option. So I found this ViewSonic VSD220. It looks fairly decent, particularly the idea that it can switch from a monitor to a tablet PC on Android. I'm thinking I may even consider forgetting about a full laptop replacement.

Does anyone know of similar devices, or have used this one specifically? Any concerns? Warnings? Precautions?

Hello - I noticed your question, and thought I could provide some information. I actually work for ViewSonic as a product manager, and recently purchased the VSD220 for my own personal usage. I really wanted the coming 24" model VSD241, but decided I couldn't wait until June ;-) I don't use the VSD220 for drawing much, but the touch sensitivity and accuracy is surprisingly good for an optical touch technology.

In terms of drawbacks or limitations, really the only ones I can think of are as follows ... 1. The integrated web cam is only available in Android mode, meaning the web cam is not available when teh VSD220 is used in display mode together with a connected Windows PC. I believe there is a solution in the works for this coming with ViewSonic's 2nd geenration of Smart Displays though. 2. While the VSD220 is Google GMS certified, it will not be compatible for every single app available on the Google Play Store. There are several reasons for this, including the fact that some apps require tablet features such as GPS, battery, and/or portrait capabilities in order to download and run.

Other than that, I am very pleased with the VSD220. It is an excellent device overall, and an idea that was way overdue in the market. I am still looking forward to getting a VSD241 when it releases in June!

February 7, 2013 7:41:25 PM

I wasn't planning on using the webcam anyway, so that isn't a problem for me. The same can mostly be said about the Apps. I wasn't planning to use many apps beyond a MS Office or similar type programs, and a web browser. I do most of my more heavy-duty work on my desktop, and use my laptop, and would use a tablet, mainly for word processing, light media consumption, and light bits of art-related stuff. I don't know that I'd want to go any bigger than the 22", but I might think about it again.
Related resources
February 8, 2013 3:29:49 AM

DRosencraft said:
I wasn't planning on using the webcam anyway, so that isn't a problem for me. The same can mostly be said about the Apps. I wasn't planning to use many apps beyond a MS Office or similar type programs, and a web browser. I do most of my more heavy-duty work on my desktop, and use my laptop, and would use a tablet, mainly for word processing, light media consumption, and light bits of art-related stuff. I don't know that I'd want to go any bigger than the 22", but I might think about it again.

It sounds like the VSD220 should be perfect for your needs then, and there are lots of good word processing apps, like Kingsoft office available on the Play Store. Best regards, Erik
February 14, 2013 8:56:13 PM

I just signed up because I found this thread while searching for VSD220...

All I have to say is if you like having a warranty STAY AWAY FROM VIEWSONIC. I ordered the VSD220 2 weeks ago thinking it would be a great tablet/touchscreen computer combo. I received it last week, and the touchscreen didn't work properly. I emailed Viewsonic tech support, and they suggested I "Reset the smart display", even though it wasn't working properly from the moment I turned it on.

I plugged in a mouse and keyboard, and everything worked with those, I did as suggested, and "reset" it through the settings menu. Still broken. Then I read their warranty policy. If you require warranty work, YOU HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING.

This unit was broken FROM THE FACTORY, and I have to pay for shipping, to get it replaced, or repaired. They don't even have a authorized repair facility in my city of over a million people. So my two options are 1) Pay $25 to have it shipped to the nearest authorized repair facility (and likely have to pay for shipping BACK to me), or 2) Pay $30 shipping to reurn it to the online retailer I purchased it from, and get a refund.

I think I'll be opting for #2, and never buying a Viewsonic again. Please keep my experience in mind before purchasing one, and make sure there's a service repair center somewhere close to you.
!