Screen Goes black but computer still responsive.

lltmasll

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
So basically my problem likes to show up only when it wants to. I have gone months to even a few days before it arises. Basically when i am playing a game i will get program is not responding then my computer screen will go black but the tower and everything is still running i can still hear everything and i can still play the game i just can see anything. First i thought maybe the monitor i tested 4 different monitors and the problem still persists. Then i thought Video card checked the drivers made sure everything up to date problem happens again. So then i buy a new video card dont see problem for several months then randomly happens so i checked the driver happens again so i buy a new video basically i tested 3 video and still have the issue so i don't think its my video cards. Now whats weird from time to time when it happens like i said its random it wont happen for months or it will do it for a few days straight. When the screen goes black i have to turn off the computer by holding the power button and it wont turn back on the tower starts i can hear all fans starting up but nothing on screen. If i unplug the power cord for like a hour or 2 then plug back in it turns on and is normal. So then i thought ok maybe the power supply....I buy and test 2 more power supply's problem happens again....Very rarely after i leave it off for a while i will get a warning That says Warning !!! The previous overclocking had failed. and system will restore its default settings. After seeing this I checked my video card settings and made sure i wasn't over clocking it but yet i still see that error very rarely. I could be overclocking my cpu but idk how to do that or even check if i am so i am not sure on that one i have completely wiped the pc and reloaded everything multiple times to see if that would help and it does for a few months but then randomly happens once or twice then goes away. My only thinking that could be causing a problem would be my mobo but is possible but my mobo is kinda old and if i replace it i have to replace my cpu for the most part since they dont make compatible cpus that fit. nor can i find a newer motherboard that will fit my cpu. SO i am not 100% sure if my mobo would be randomly shutting off my display but its and idea. I am just confused why its acting so weird and nothing i do solves it permanently so i am coming here after googling the problem and reading through 100s of forums with similar problems and trying what they did and yet problem persists. Any help would be appreciated.
Specs:
Cpu-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mobo-MSI ms-7380
Video Card i want to use-Amd Radeon hd 7700 series
Ram- 1x1g ddr2 crucial technology part# ct12864AA667.k8f
2x2g ddr2 corsair part #cm2x2048-6400c5
Windows 7 64 bit

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
If i were you, i'd upgrade the motherboard cpu and ram... those mosy likely chances are either overheating(cleans heatsink and blow dust out your case) or bad hardware... Just upgrade those systems or at least get a motherboard(one that's for LGA 775) with DDR3 support and buy DDR3 memory...

lltmasll

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Yeah i want to and plan on upgrading my mobo and cpu just gotta get some money saved up i was just wondering if there was a solution to my problem right now since i have no idea why its doing what its doing lol i had the problem last night so this morning i been switching out the video cards trying to recreate the problem from last night but i cant get it to do it so i am so very very confused lol

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Just upgrade your mobo with DDR3 support and get DDR3 RAM, you can OC CPU to 4GHz or so with a aftermarket cooler and it should be fast enough to handle a 690 without bottleneck....

lltmasll

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
is there any specific reason i should overclock my cpu? idk how overclocking works i just dont want to mess up my cpu

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
CPU will bottleneck a 690 at stock CPU clock speed because it's too slow for games like FarCry3 for example, GPU is able to max it but your CPU is running 100% usage so it's bottleneck the GPU, overclocking can improve performance of CPU and it wont damage your CPU as long as you dont go over 1.4v vCore and have it Stable... You dont have to do anything but just get a new computer

TRENDING THREADS