Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PLEASE HELP CANNOT DECIDE ON GPU!! !! ! ! !

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 3:02:50 AM

Link doesn't work?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 3:09:29 AM

Ah man link don't work, someone else help? plz
Score
February 6, 2013 4:06:06 AM

Look at the end of his link, take note of the number, and compare them to the numbers on your 2 links. :) 

I personally love XFX, never had an issue with them, have owned 2 cards through that manufacturer.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 4:08:19 AM

So you think the XFX is the better choice too? And after some research I've concluded the same, especially with a lifetime warranty
Score
February 6, 2013 4:10:51 AM

I would personally go with the XFX card. As I don't know as much on that particular series of chipsets though, just think of it as simply an opinion, not an educated answer.
Score
February 6, 2013 6:46:29 AM

I know nothing about HIS, but I do know that XFX is good quality, so yes, id go with XFX
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 6:55:47 AM

HIS has better cooling by a notable margin. This is coming from a guy whom owns a XFX 7950. At the time this was cheaper so i jumped but i would go with that HIS over the XFX.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 6:58:13 AM

Also HIS is a bran name gpu manufacturer with a unique cooler that exhausts about 80% of the heat it generates outside of the case instead of inside the case allowing for better ambient temps for cpu overclocking if you care to do so with an air cooled setup.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:14:55 AM

I really like the XFX Lifetime warranty though, is the HIS cooling really that superior to the XFX? Does it make a big difference in performance? My case has amazing airflow, 2x230mm fans and 3x120mm fans.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:23:44 AM

My case has similar airflow via 4x200mm fans and a 140mm fan and i idle at around 37c with one monitor and with 3 i idle at 48c load temps never go past 68c granted i dont use eyefinity and have not overclocked at all. With the HIS i would expect, and have seen on benchmarks, not going over 60c on load with eyefinity and heavily oced not over 70c on eyefinity. Go with the HIS and the rebates are always a hassle except from coolermaster, the only company i always get my rebate from without fail (over 9 rebates).
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:25:03 AM

Yes, the HIS cooling is just about the best blower-style cooler you can get. Very good thing.

It makes a HUGE difference in performance in this case, because if you're going for a 7950, it's assumed that you're overclocking the hell out of it, because it can easily overclock very high... better cooling means the overclock is easier and higher.

EDIT: Also, while the lifetime warranty is good, it's really only a three year warranty or so, as you're going to sell it to upgrade after that. (EVGA's double lifetime warranty, on the other hand, actually adds value.)
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:29:42 AM

DarkSable said:
Yes, the HIS cooling is just about the best blower-style cooler you can get. Very good thing.

It makes a HUGE difference in performance in this case, because if you're going for a 7950, it's assumed that you're overclocking the hell out of it, because it can easily overclock very high... better cooling means the overclock is easier and higher.

EDIT: Also, while the lifetime warranty is good, it's really only a three year warranty or so, as you're going to sell it to upgrade after that. (EVGA's double lifetime warranty, on the other hand, actually adds value.)

Wow, something i actually didnt know about a graphics card manufacturer's warranty +1 =O.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:30:22 AM

Alright so anyone know what the max overclock is on the HIS without getting too hot?
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:34:01 AM

patrick47018 said:
Alright so anyone know what the max overclock is on the HIS without getting too hot?

Overclocks are going to be different with every one card because of GPU binning processes. The average 7950 gets to about 1190 mghz core and 1650 mghz memory. The average as a percent is 45% core 30% mem.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:35:25 AM

Basically you will have a stock ghz edition 7970 and/or stock 680.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:36:11 AM

helper800 said:
Basically you will have a stock ghz edition 7970 and/or stock 680.

Like a boss ;) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:37:45 AM

patrick47018 said:
Like a boss ;) 

Remember to pick a best answer for the thread!!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:38:43 AM

Best answer selected by patrick47018.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:43:54 AM

helper800 said:
Remember to pick a best answer for the thread!!!

There you are sir, us regulars (a.k.a. "semi-noobs") need to stick together. I think that will be a great component to finish up my gaming build its all done except the graphics card but the Intel HD 4000 still plays games like Age of Empires III and Dear Esther, so it hasn't been too bad. Thoughts on my build??

i5-3570k
Azza Solano 1000R Case
16 GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz RAM
1TB Toshiba HDD
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H Motherboard
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W Power Supply
Assorted Razer Gaming Products(Keyboard, Controller, etc.)
Coming Soon: HIS IceQ 7950 Boost Clock ;) 

Oh yeah and my E-3lue Cobra mouse which is lovely and was only 18 dollars
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:49:15 AM

Very similar to my build just click my profile or the cpu-z verification in my signiture and theres your comparison. I have had a very nice experience with my build (my first solo). Although my A+ comp tia certification knowledge made the experience smooth as butter =). Very solid build.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 7:53:20 AM

I also A+ and Net+. But not my first rodeo lol, though the first for myself which is why I am a little more precarious with this one. But I really like how the HIS IceQ is made for Crossfire where it doesn't blow air on the card beside it. Once I get this one and see how it is and when it hits its barrier where a game defeats it, a.k.a. Crysis 3 Ultra Settings, I may need to Crossfire. Wonder if my boards PCIe 3.0 will help with performance, think it will?
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:05:53 AM

patrick47018 said:
I also A+ and Net+. But not my first rodeo lol, though the first for myself which is why I am a little more precarious with this one. But I really like how the HIS IceQ is made for Crossfire where it doesn't blow air on the card beside it. Once I get this one and see how it is and when it hits its barrier where a game defeats it, a.k.a. Crysis 3 Ultra Settings, I may need to Crossfire. Wonder if my boards PCIe 3.0 will help with performance, think it will?

To answer your question even PCI-e 2.1 DOES over saturate the need for bandwidth. But i think there will be slight performance gains over all. Lol and btw im running the stock Intel cooler on my oced CPU because im broke and i have NEVER seen it over 70c, but i think thats because my cases' insane airflow. The ambient temp in m case has not gone over 25c.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:07:53 AM

Really ?? I have mine OC'd to 3.5ghz lol. I was afraid the stock cooler wouldn't be able to handle it. with my case my CPU stays at 24 degrees C which is crazy haha
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:08:30 AM

My CPU is cooler than my cases temp, lol. However that works
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:09:58 AM

patrick47018 said:
Really ?? I have mine OC'd to 3.5ghz lol. I was afraid the stock cooler wouldn't be able to handle it. with my case my CPU stays at 24 degrees C which is crazy haha

Yeah, one day i saw bottle necking on my CPU's end and i said screw it and got it to 4.2 ghz stable without going into the 70c range on the temps.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:11:48 AM

Overclocking the CPU do I need to manually change voltage and multiplier and such? Or can I leave it on auto?
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:12:10 AM

Ima noob to overclocking if you cant tell
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:13:58 AM

Here's what my case looks like http://i.imgur.com/NxQSx.jpg

Also do you know anything about Crucial Ballastix Tracer RAM? The Tracer is supposed to have light up DIMMs
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:15:12 AM

You can leave the voltage on auto but i would rather have a consistent voltage and yeah you can manually change the multiplier. All i did was spend a couple minutes reading a guide here and there for a couple weeks. Always read guides first though. Dont trust people like me with your awesome hardware (not that i am not trustworthy, its just id rather be safe then sorry).
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:17:31 AM

patrick47018 said:
Here's what my case looks like http://i.imgur.com/NxQSx.jpg

Also do you know anything about Crucial Ballastix Tracer RAM? The Tracer is supposed to have light up DIMMs

Awesome case btw! And for your question no im sorry. The extent of my knowledge is displays, graphics cards, CPU's, SSD's and operating OS's.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:22:20 AM

Yeah alright I'll look it up and go ahead up to 3.8ghz and just watch my temps for any change. If you ever wanna talk or anything message me, later man and thanks I really like my case being a full tower and only 119 dollars, I am a stickler for a deal like my mouse here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EfXKnP91L._SL50...

I hope HIS makes another IceQ for the Radeon 8000 series, I know they've been making them for quite a while at least back to the 6000 series. And what are your thoughts on the monster that is Powercolor's Radeon HD 7990 Devil13?

But anyways thanks again
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:27:34 AM

patrick47018 said:
Yeah alright I'll look it up and go ahead up to 3.8ghz and just watch my temps for any change. If you ever wanna talk or anything message me, later man and thanks I really like my case being a full tower and only 119 dollars, I am a stickler for a deal like my mouse here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EfXKnP91L._SL50...

I hope HIS makes another IceQ for the Radeon 8000 series, I know they've been making them for quite a while at least back to the 6000 series. And what are your thoughts on the monster that is Powercolor's Radeon HD 7990 Devil13?

But anyways thanks again

I think that the HIS 7970X2 is better in everyway =). Here's a Tom's link that show 690 vs. 7990 devil13 vs. HIS 7970X2 (its a dual GPU card) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi... . By the way what games do you play online? I'm a long time player of League of Legends, World of tanks, and am playing Farcry 3 online a lot these days.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:41:56 AM

I will end up being a HIS Fanboy before its all said and done, haha. And I play LoL we should play together sometime
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:47:01 AM

HIS 7970X2 beats a 690 in a lot of things
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:48:46 AM

patrick47018 said:
HIS 7970X2 beats a 690 in a lot of things

Yes, yes it does =D. My LoL name is "chaosficsation" no caps or spaces add me when ever.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 8:52:26 AM

Alright I'll add you. Getting Crysis 3?
Score
!