win98 raid and bad sectors

jim8o8

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
I've just set up a raid mirror with a 5400 seagate drive and a 7200 IBM drive (replacement sent for a 75 model that lost _everything_)

I'm getting some bad sectors in scandisk and some boot problems, when Windoze 98 runs scandisk is is checking both disks and fixing bad setors on both? Does defrag recognise that it's sorting tow disks too?

I'm also having problems with the raid array on boot-up, it usually stalls after recognising the seagate on ide 1 and take several attempts to see the ibm drive. I'm using a kt7-raid board with the onboard controller

Anyone any the wiser?

Thanks

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
You really shouldn't mix drives for RAID, even if the manufacturer says you can. I don't know if that would cause the problem, but it's still good advice imo.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I agree! You shouldn't mix different speeds and that is why you are probably having problems. It's alright to mix different sizes because it will run all the drives at the size of the smallest drive in the array.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>