Which speekers should I get??

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I was thinking about getting a Soundblaster Live 5.1 or maybe a Hercules Muse XL sound card...which speekers would you suggest I get for them? I'm thinking about getting a surround system with 5 or 6 speekers...but don't want to spend more than $150.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The best spe<i>a</i>kers in that range would be the Logitech z560. They're 4.1, and around $140. I'd recommend the Muse XL over the Live, since the Live sucks.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I've never read one bad Z560 review, however I didn't buy them because they cost so much here in Australia (about $200USD). So, I bought the Altec ATP5s which I am very happy with.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
2 WORDS.... "KLIPSCH PROMEDIA" OMG.... I have the Promedia 2.1 they are god damn AMAZING... I Am scared to put them more then Half WAY!!! 200 Watts.. 179$ alittle pricy but the god dam performance is Unbelievable... and i like how there is a HeadPhone Jack and a Mp3 jack..that's a nice little feature

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Thanks for the info. I just ordered some Z560 speakers. Can't wait to see what these babies can do!

"Don't be fooled by this clever signature..."

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
if your not going to get a sound card with dolby digital decoding, the speakers i use are altec lansing ada885 (ada890 also available) which i picked up for 180 shipped new. they come with a wireless remote, 5 different settings, and a dolby digital decoder built in if you watch DVDs or for games that have 5.1 surround.

they are good, not as loud as the z560s but definitly worth 180bucks shipped! very loud and the sucessors the ada890 have been billed as the most versatile speaker system available (both the ada885 and ada890 can be converted to either a 5.1 setup or a 2.1 if you dont have enough space, they sit on top and plug in the front speakers and work together!!!), and have the most balanced sound of any computer speaker systems.

worth a look.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
altec 885 and 890 speaker sets are nice but dicontinued due to extreme incompatibility issues with base in quad mode for gaming. That speaker set is officially announced by Creative and Altec as imcompatitible with all LIVE and AUDIGY sound cards as well as the Herculees and Santa Cruz.

The Z-560's however work great and definitely are the best for their price of 140 online to 200 retail. I use the Z-560's with a SB Audigy and i've never heard better sound for games come out of a pc period. I've heard klipsh sets, altec sets, creative sets, and Logitech....logitech is best to my ears.

For a good sound card to use with them....some people hate creative....i've only had good experiences with my live 5.1 and audigy cards though..