3D gaming is it worth it???

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hello,

I was looking into upgrading my monitor and I saw some decent deals on 3d monitors. I am curious if any offer a worthwhile experience, or if its largely just a gimmick. Another concern would be if long time use will cause headaches or other adverse effects. Does anybody game like this? If so recommended setups would be appreciated. Any monitor recommends I would like to see in the 27" and above range. My most frequent games are skyrim sleeping dogs two worlds and Far Cry 3. Bioshock when it comes out!!

Current Computer Specs
gigabyte radeon 7870
fx8350
AsRock 990 fx extreme3
ocz vertex4 128 gb SSD
WD caviar 500 GB

Thanks for any help. :)

Solution
Alot of misinformed crap in this thread.

3D is truely amazing, it has its downsides, like unavoidable crosstalk, some games not working, expense, performance hit etc. But, it will draw you into the game like nothing else can. Since your on an AMD card, it might not be ideal, the Tridef software is good, but the performance loss over the Nvidia 3D is substantially higher, and its more of a headache to setup. Your card, whilst beastly for 2D, will suffer in 3D, as you often drop more than half your framerate.

If your wanting to do 3D, I personally would wait until you feel the need to upgrade, and then buy an Nvidia card.

-3D Vision 2 doesn't give headaches at all
-The 'No Center' point a poster brought up applies only to broken games...

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I don't even game on my 3d TV, while it looks nice ;comfort wise I couldn't play it more than 30 minutes at a time. So I didn't invest in 3d monitors for the PC as I didn't feel it was worth the trouble. While its fun to see a movie in the theater in 3d. For some reason the home experience leaves a lot to desire. The 3d works like its suppose to but you gotta put the glasses on and make the switches, just to much of hassle to game at half the frame rate.

i have a 3d monitor
http://www.aronsky.ru/wp-content/uploads/samsung-950-a.jpg

my main reason for buying it wasnt the 3d but the 120hz, 3d is just a bonus.
do i use it for 3d gaming? sometimes. i only play ssf4:ea, i do try other games from time to time. but side scrolling for me is less of a head ache.
but i do watch 3d movies, avengers very nice.

is it worth is? the 3d, no. the other stuff, yes. esp if you will get IPS or PLS.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
3D for movies is fine and pretty awesome on some movies (The Avengers especially) but I've tried gaming in 3D and it sucked. You don't get the same detail, and since you have a left and a right view only, you have NO CENTER VIEW of anything!!! so, if you try to say, make a precise shot in a shooter, you will either go left or right. you won't hit. 3D is ok for racing and run through a room w/ a shotgun, but if you are trying to be a good gamer in anything, it's going to hinder you.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

I went a somewhat unique route in solving this 3D [strike]problem [/strike]want:
My 3D solution is NVidia, not AMD/ATI. I bought a Pansonic Viera TV (2012 edition) and a copy of the NVidia 3DTV Play.
With the 2012 version of the Panasonic TV, they use bluetooth active shutter glasses, and you can get some cheapo, around $20 glasses from Samsung, SSG-4100GB, that let you do this. When I want to 3D game, I don't use the 3D monitor setup, just push it over to the plasma TV via 3DTV play. It seems pretty solid to me.

Alot of misinformed crap in this thread.

3D is truely amazing, it has its downsides, like unavoidable crosstalk, some games not working, expense, performance hit etc. But, it will draw you into the game like nothing else can. Since your on an AMD card, it might not be ideal, the Tridef software is good, but the performance loss over the Nvidia 3D is substantially higher, and its more of a headache to setup. Your card, whilst beastly for 2D, will suffer in 3D, as you often drop more than half your framerate.

If your wanting to do 3D, I personally would wait until you feel the need to upgrade, and then buy an Nvidia card.

-3D Vision 2 doesn't give headaches at all
-The 'No Center' point a poster brought up applies only to broken games
-Remember to crank the convergence up (a setting Nvidia stupidly hides from you)
-If you get a 3D setup, use the site HelixMods, it has fixes for a hell of alot of games. No support on the AMD side sadly.

Solution

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for all the info (and opinions). I was looking into it myself as well and it definitely seems that if you want to do a 3d gaming setup Nvidia is far superior. The 3dtv looks better for this kind of thing as well. Alas I suppose since it would be painful to try to buy an Nvidia card at this point I guess I will have to stick with 2d for now.