Value of 5060

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
April 18, 2005 5:09:37 AM

How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
not have the lifetime subscription.

More about : 5060

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:09:38 AM

In article <lND8e.72664$QB6.3339609@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.

$200.

If you don't want it, I'll take it.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:11:32 AM

mcp6453 wrote:

> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.

It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig. They go about $200-250. If the
unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.
April 18, 2005 5:40:43 AM

going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
side.

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:40:44 AM

Joseph Wind wrote:

> going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
> side.

Which eBay? eBay France???

In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.
April 18, 2005 10:34:44 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:09:37 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
>not have the lifetime subscription.

I would say, if it's like new, you should pay no more than $150
without lifetime subscription. That is tops.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:49:31 AM

Dude, what's your problem? I picked up a 5040, with no activation for $79
plus $20 shipping a few months back on eBay. It was listed as a 5504, but
it turned out to be a 5040 when I opened the box, no complaint from me. :-)
The guy had copied a similar ad and forgot to change the description. There
seem to be more ReplayTVs offered before Christmas than there are now.
Supplies must be getting short. Sort of reminds me of the DTV H cards.

Funny you say, France. I was in Asia recently and saw a couple Tivos in a
Surplus Outlet that gets stuff from the States regularly. I was thinking to
myself, "What the heck are they selling Tivos here?", one heck of LD call.
They wanted the equivalent of $100 for it.

BTW got any dead 3Ks? LOL ;-)

"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Joseph Wind wrote:
>
> > going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
> > side.
> >

> Which eBay? eBay France???
>
> In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
> year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
> would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.
April 18, 2005 5:00:18 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:49:31 GMT, "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote:

>Dude, what's your problem? I picked up a 5040, with no activation for $79
>plus $20 shipping a few months back on eBay. It was listed as a 5504, but
>it turned out to be a 5040 when I opened the box, no complaint from me. :-)
>The guy had copied a similar ad and forgot to change the description. There
>seem to be more ReplayTVs offered before Christmas than there are now.
>Supplies must be getting short. Sort of reminds me of the DTV H cards.

I have a couple of those. Also about 13 HU cards (all still work).

>Funny you say, France. I was in Asia recently and saw a couple Tivos in a
>Surplus Outlet that gets stuff from the States regularly. I was thinking to
>myself, "What the heck are they selling Tivos here?", one heck of LD call.
>They wanted the equivalent of $100 for it.

Internet connection? Maybe TiVo has something like WiRNS for guides.

>BTW got any dead 3Ks? LOL ;-)

I've got the ghost of a Showstopper :-)

>"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Joseph Wind wrote:
>>
>> > going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
>> > side.
>> >

>> Which eBay? eBay France???
>>
>> In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
>> year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
>> would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:00:53 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
>> not have the lifetime subscription.
>
>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.

I just did that to my 5060.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

still fall for that scam."
April 19, 2005 12:24:07 AM

Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>mcp6453 wrote:
>>
>>> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It
does
>>> not have the lifetime subscription.
>>
>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can
run
>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>
> I just did that to my 5060.
>
>>They go about $200-250. If the
>>unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.

I personally never saw any 5060's advertised anyplace except Costco.
The 5060's at Costco were indeed 80GB drives formatted for 60.

Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:24:08 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:24:07 GMT, Steph
<CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

>does
>>>
>>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can
>run
>>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>>
>> I just did that to my 5060.
>>
>>>They go about $200-250. If the
>>>unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.
>>

>I personally never saw any 5060's advertised anyplace except Costco.
>The 5060's at Costco were indeed 80GB drives formatted for 60.

My 5060 was ordered from amazon.com, and contained the same drive
model as my 5080 (from Circuit City).

>Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:50:55 AM

That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
transfer the lifetime activation.

Regards,

Margaret

"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>
> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

April 19, 2005 2:42:26 AM

You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>transfer the lifetime activation.
>
>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>
>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>
>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:07:50 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:42:26 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:

>You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
>ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.

This gets back to that flash chip doesn't it? If they are the same
hardware wise and only have the chip to identify them you could swap
the chip and the drive and effectivey swap the ID. In fact you could
just load a clean imaged drive as long as the flash is still good.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:32:43 PM

one@atime.com wrote:
> You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
> ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

Wrong. You can transfer lifetime from ANY Replay branded unit,even a 5
yr old 3K.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:25:09 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV.

I always consider that a sort of lying. The price you pay would be
$129 and that's the one that should be advertised.

> You can buy one from
>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>transfer the lifetime activation.

I could use that extra remote.

>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>
>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>
>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:26:34 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:42:26 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:

>You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
>ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.

That would make that (the ability to transfer activation) rather
useless.

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
><twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
>>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>>transfer the lifetime activation.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Margaret
>>
>>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>>
>>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:36:05 PM

"Sam" <big@black.dog> wrote in message

> Internet connection? Maybe TiVo has something like WiRNS for guides.

It was one of the early units, 30 hr, I think. Who knows? The shop
probably did not know what it was.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:41:48 PM

Most ads do say "after rebate" so it's not lying and it is your final
cost if you apply for the rebate. I've found that over the last year or
so the rebates have become far more reliable and I've gotten every one
I've applied for. One purchase I made at CompUSA netted me $450 in
rebates. As rebates get larger, I wonder if the IRS is going to look at
those. If you buy a $1500 PC bundle under your company name you can
write it off meaning there's no tax on the $1500. When you get the $450
rebate sent to you in your own name you get it tax free.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV.
>
> I always consider that a sort of lying. The price you pay would be
> $129 and that's the one that should be advertised.
>
>> You can buy one from
>> Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20
>> bucks. I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and
>> remote ... and to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and
>> ReplayTV lets me transfer the lifetime activation.
>>

> I could use that extra remote.
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>> "Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>>
>>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA)
>>> listed a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that?
>>> Nope.
>>>

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
> created and still runs this old universe is so
> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
> still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:41:49 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:41:48 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Most ads do say "after rebate" so it's not lying and it is your final
>cost if you apply for the rebate.

While not teclnically lying, it's EFFECTIVELY lying. Particularly when
you want to know how much you're paying for that thing.

Also, they're MUCH TOO SLOW with rebates. I once bought a Replay
(offerring a $100 rebate). It was shipped and arrived here in 3 days.
I sent in the material required for the rebate. It took more than 3
MONTHS.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:01:51 AM

The problem I have with "After Rebate" pricing is that it forgets sometihng

Say you have an item makred 199.95, now you and I know you are not
getting out of the store for 199.95, Perhaps 211.95 but not 199.95

Now, let's say they offer a $100 rebate, so the tag says $99.95 (After
rebate) well, if they simply marked it down that would be 105.95 but
alas, due to the fact you pay tax on the BEFORE REBATE price it's 111.95
and you just got cheated out of six dollars by the state.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:01:51 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>The problem I have with "After Rebate" pricing is that it forgets sometihng
>
>Say you have an item makred 199.95, now you and I know you are not
>getting out of the store for 199.95, Perhaps 211.95 but not 199.95

True.

>Now, let's say they offer a $100 rebate, so the tag says $99.95 (After
>rebate) well, if they simply marked it down that would be 105.95 but
>alas, due to the fact you pay tax on the BEFORE REBATE price it's 111.95
> and you just got cheated out of six dollars by the state.

Maybe they should include tax in the rebate (that is make that $100
rebate check for $106).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:27:12 PM

Yes, I agree, they should, or alternatively you should be able to enter
the amount of rebate checks you got on your income tax form (state
form only) since it's your money coming back to you it would not count
as income, but you would then multiply by 0.06 (six percent) and take
the result as a TAX CREDIT. Of course this also assumes you are honest
and pay USE TAX on all that stuff you bought out of state and had mailed in

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:49:02 PM

Of course that varies by state with sales tax rates ranging from 0% to
over 10% and even varies by city & county in some states making it a
nightmare for whoever would refund it. Only the retailer who collected
the tax is in a position to refund it as the rebate processor or
manufacturer cannot get it back from the state.I suppose that you could
apply to your state for a refund if you showed them that you received a
partial refund on the purchase but it seems hardly worth the time. That
being said, some states have laws that do not allow rebating sales tax
on rebates.
In any case, even without a rebate, the "out-the-door" price is never
posted since tax is always extra unless otherwise noted.
There is some pending discussion about laws mandating that all rebates
be paid within 60 days and streamlining the submission process. It's
already gotten better with some processors offering online registration.
I don't think we'll see an alternative to mailing in the UPC code
anytime soon though.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:01:51 GMT, John in Detroit
> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> The problem I have with "After Rebate" pricing is that it forgets
>> sometihng
>>
>> Say you have an item makred 199.95, now you and I know you are not
>> getting out of the store for 199.95, Perhaps 211.95 but not 199.95
>>

> True.
>
>> Now, let's say they offer a $100 rebate, so the tag says $99.95
>> (After rebate) well, if they simply marked it down that would be
>> 105.95 but
>> alas, due to the fact you pay tax on the BEFORE REBATE price it's
>> 111.95 and you just got cheated out of six dollars by the state.
>>

> Maybe they should include tax in the rebate (that is make that $100
> rebate check for $106).
>
>> Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>> While not teclnically lying, it's EFFECTIVELY lying. Particularly
>>> when you want to know how much you're paying for that thing.
>>>
>>> Also, they're MUCH TOO SLOW with rebates. I once bought a Replay
>>> (offerring a $100 rebate). It was shipped and arrived here in 3
>>> days. I sent in the material required for the rebate. It took more
>>> than 3 MONTHS.

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
> created and still runs this old universe is so
> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
> still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:49:03 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:49:02 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Of course that varies by state with sales tax rates ranging from 0% to
>over 10% and even varies by city & county in some states making it a
>nightmare for whoever would refund it. Only the retailer who collected
>the tax is in a position to refund it as the rebate processor or
>manufacturer cannot get it back from the state.I suppose that you could
>apply to your state for a refund if you showed them that you received a
>partial refund on the purchase but it seems hardly worth the time. That
>being said, some states have laws that do not allow rebating sales tax
>on rebates.
>In any case, even without a rebate, the "out-the-door" price is never
>posted since tax is always extra unless otherwise noted.

Although when you're shopping you usually have a good idea of about
how much it'll be with the tax. That's considerably different from the
suprise you get when the posted price is just "after rebate".

> There is some pending discussion about laws mandating that all rebates
>be paid within 60 days and streamlining the submission process.

It shouldn't take more than 8 to 16 days (that's considering the mail
delivery time, doubling it since it's going both ways, and adding a
couple of days for processing) for domestic (within the US) rebates.

>It's
>already gotten better with some processors offering online registration.
>I don't think we'll see an alternative to mailing in the UPC code
>anytime soon though.

It makes no sense to require that stuff when you bought direct from
the company and they ALREADY know what they need to know.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:46:58 AM

Actually this makes more sense than you may think.

You see, there are 4 kinds of customers

1: Buys the product, fills out the paper, sends in the rebate form with
all documentation attached, gets rebate

2: Ah, forget it

3: Sends it in,,, but late and thus is denied

4: Looses one of the required items (Receipt, box, etc)

So,,, in the example we are using (199.95 less 100 rebate) the company
gets the full 199.95 and never pays the rebate on types 2, 3 and 4, and
there are a lot of 2,3 and 4's out there

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> It makes no sense to require that stuff when you bought direct from
> the company and they ALREADY know what they need to know.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:42:00 AM

On a $100 rebate, surely one of the larger ones, the tax is typically
less than $10. Since most things offering a rebate that large will cost
several hundred dollars it's trivial.

8-16 days just isn't enough time. They process thousands of these things
and it just takes more time to open examine, keypunch and process a
check. Also, payments are usually made at the end of the promotion once
all items are processed. With a total in hand the manufacturer then
funds the rebate account.

They have to have not only proof that you bought it but some way to make
you deface the box (removal of UPC) to prevent you from buying it,
applying for the rebate and returning it. If the box were left intact
you could return the product and still get the rebate.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:49:02 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Of course that varies by state with sales tax rates ranging from 0%
>> to over 10% and even varies by city & county in some states making
>> it a nightmare for whoever would refund it. Only the retailer who
>> collected the tax is in a position to refund it as the rebate
>> processor or manufacturer cannot get it back from the state.I
>> suppose that you could apply to your state for a refund if you
>> showed them that you received a partial refund on the purchase but
>> it seems hardly worth the time. That being said, some states have
>> laws that do not allow rebating sales tax on rebates.
>> In any case, even without a rebate, the "out-the-door" price is never
>> posted since tax is always extra unless otherwise noted.
>
> Although when you're shopping you usually have a good idea of about
> how much it'll be with the tax. That's considerably different from the
> suprise you get when the posted price is just "after rebate".
>
>> There is some pending discussion about laws mandating that all
>> rebates be paid within 60 days and streamlining the submission
>> process.
>
> It shouldn't take more than 8 to 16 days (that's considering the mail
> delivery time, doubling it since it's going both ways, and adding a
> couple of days for processing) for domestic (within the US) rebates.
>
>> It's
>> already gotten better with some processors offering online
>> registration. I don't think we'll see an alternative to mailing in
>> the UPC code anytime soon though.
>>

> It makes no sense to require that stuff when you bought direct from
> the company and they ALREADY know what they need to know.
>
>> From:Mark Lloyd
>> mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

>>> True.

>>> Maybe they should include tax in the rebate (that is make that $100
>>> rebate check for $106).

>>> --
>>> Mark Lloyd
>>> has a Replay 5xxx
>>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>>
>>> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
>>> created and still runs this old universe is so
>>> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
>>> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
>>> still fall for that scam."
>>

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
> created and still runs this old universe is so
> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
> still fall for that scam."
April 21, 2005 12:37:04 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:46:58 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Actually this makes more sense than you may think.
>
>You see, there are 4 kinds of customers
>
>1: Buys the product, fills out the paper, sends in the rebate form with
>all documentation attached, gets rebate
>
>2: Ah, forget it
>
>3: Sends it in,,, but late and thus is denied
>
>4: Looses one of the required items (Receipt, box, etc)

Notice the VERY common use of the wrong word above. You mean LOSE,
which has only one of those circular letters.

>So,,, in the example we are using (199.95 less 100 rebate) the company
>gets the full 199.95 and never pays the rebate on types 2, 3 and 4, and
>there are a lot of 2,3 and 4's out there
>
>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> It makes no sense to require that stuff when you bought direct from
>> the company and they ALREADY know what they need to know.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:41:01 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:46:58 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Actually this makes more sense than you may think.
>
>You see, there are 4 kinds of customers
>
>1: Buys the product, fills out the paper, sends in the rebate form with
>all documentation attached, gets rebate

Don't forget:

1a. Buys the product, fills out the paper, sends in the rebate form
with all documentation attached, gets NOTHING. I've applied for 3
rebates form Replay and got all of them (after too much time for
each). Other companies don't do so well.

>2: Ah, forget it
>
>3: Sends it in,,, but late and thus is denied
>
>4: Looses one of the required items (Receipt, box, etc)

True. Considiring the way companies don't care about individuals but
masses, there's considerable savings from 2-4 above.

>So,,, in the example we are using (199.95 less 100 rebate) the company
>gets the full 199.95 and never pays the rebate on types 2, 3 and 4, and
>there are a lot of 2,3 and 4's out there
>
>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> It makes no sense to require that stuff when you bought direct from
>> the company and they ALREADY know what they need to know.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:37:32 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>mcp6453 wrote:
>>

>>>How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
>>>not have the lifetime subscription.
>>
>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>

> I just did that to my 5060.

What is the procedure for doing so? Doesn't the hard drive have to be
removed from the RTV and installed into a computer running RTVPatch?
I've never done it before but will certainly give this a try.

Great information from this newsgroup!
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:37:33 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:37:32 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
>>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>>

>> I just did that to my 5060.
>

>What is the procedure for doing so? Doesn't the hard drive have to be
>removed from the RTV and installed into a computer running RTVPatch?

Yes. Then just use the "patch drive" option.

Note that if you do it right, the drive may not need to be physically
removed from the Replay (just remove the Replay cover). Connect the
IDE cable from a computer and use the Replay itself to provide power
(be careful around the exposed power supply). This even works when
replacing the Replay software. I tested it with enabling IVS on a 55xx
(a more complex operation).

>I've never done it before but will certainly give this a try.
>
>Great information from this newsgroup!

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:15:09 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:37:32 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>I just did that to my 5060.
>>

>>What is the procedure for doing so? Doesn't the hard drive have to be
>>removed from the RTV and installed into a computer running RTVPatch?
>

> Yes. Then just use the "patch drive" option.
>
> Note that if you do it right, the drive may not need to be physically
> removed from the Replay (just remove the Replay cover). Connect the
> IDE cable from a computer and use the Replay itself to provide power
> (be careful around the exposed power supply). This even works when
> replacing the Replay software. I tested it with enabling IVS on a 55xx
> (a more complex operation).

I just patched it without removing it from the unit. The drive is, in
fact, an 80GB drive.

This unit is my second one. My first is a 5040 that has a bad Ethernet
port. It uses the telephone line for updates. Obviously I want the new
one to connect through my broadband connection. How is ReplayTV going to
be able to confirm that both units are in the same household and
therefore eligble for the multiple user discount? Will there be a problem?

And on that note, should I be hesistant to purchase lifetime
subscriptions? I have not done so because of my concern that the company
will go out of business or eliminate commercial skip with a firmware
update or some such.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:15:10 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:15:09 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:37:32 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:

>>>What is the procedure for doing so? Doesn't the hard drive have to be
>>>removed from the RTV and installed into a computer running RTVPatch?
>>

>> Yes. Then just use the "patch drive" option.
>>
>> Note that if you do it right, the drive may not need to be physically
>> removed from the Replay (just remove the Replay cover). Connect the
>> IDE cable from a computer and use the Replay itself to provide power
>> (be careful around the exposed power supply). This even works when
>> replacing the Replay software. I tested it with enabling IVS on a 55xx
>> (a more complex operation).
>
>I just patched it without removing it from the unit. The drive is, in
>fact, an 80GB drive.

Most are.

>This unit is my second one. My first is a 5040 that has a bad Ethernet
>port. It uses the telephone line for updates. Obviously I want the new
>one to connect through my broadband connection. How is ReplayTV going to
>be able to confirm that both units are in the same household and
>therefore eligble for the multiple user discount? Will there be a problem?

I suppose it uses the serial number of the Replay and checks a
database of registered users. This would have nothing to do with the
connection method.

>And on that note, should I be hesistant to purchase lifetime
>subscriptions?

If the company stays in business (or some company honors the
subscriptions) for 2 years, the lifetime subscription will have saved
you money. They have already been around longer than this, and are
likely to continue to do so.

> I have not done so because of my concern that the company
>will go out of business or eliminate commercial skip with a firmware
>update or some such.

Do you mean you wouldn't want a Replay if commercial skip didn't work?
Notice that you don't have this feature on a reguar TV.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:37:55 PM

In article <ht5o615lmq4nakcecq48t014p92f1n1tnb@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> > I have not done so because of my concern that the company
> >will go out of business or eliminate commercial skip with a firmware
> >update or some such.
>
> Do you mean you wouldn't want a Replay if commercial skip didn't work?
> Notice that you don't have this feature on a reguar TV.

I would be PISSED OFF if automatic commercial advance stopped working.
You're right, that's not available on a regular TV--and please note I
quit watching regular TV many years ago. It was only with Replay that I
started watching it again, and only because I could take my life back
and tell Hollywood what they could do with their 20+ minutes of
commercials per hour.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:14:02 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <ht5o615lmq4nakcecq48t014p92f1n1tnb@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>

>>>I have not done so because of my concern that the company
>>>will go out of business or eliminate commercial skip with a firmware
>>>update or some such.
>>
>>Do you mean you wouldn't want a Replay if commercial skip didn't work?
>>Notice that you don't have this feature on a reguar TV.
>

> I would be PISSED OFF if automatic commercial advance stopped working.
> You're right, that's not available on a regular TV--and please note I
> quit watching regular TV many years ago. It was only with Replay that I
> started watching it again, and only because I could take my life back
> and tell Hollywood what they could do with their 20+ minutes of
> commercials per hour.

Just what he said. The reason I bought the RTV was for commercial skip.
A VCR works just fine for time shifting, which is all I use RTV for.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:13:00 PM

Question for anyone here who knows.

I use a bunch of players.. one is "Video Lan" which plays replay files
w/o any additional codecs or anything like that.

However I'm told there is a plug in for it that will make it do either
auto-commercial advance or honor the EVENT file, Need to know how to do
that... I finally found a computer where it works nicely (It's not so
nice on my laptop, and on my "main" which can run it, there is no point
since there is a very nice TV on the shelf above the replay next to it)

Nice picture on this flat screen monitor where I"m at just now though

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:56:33 PM

In article <Mo3be.319$Ne7.171@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I use a bunch of players.. one is "Video Lan" which plays replay files
> w/o any additional codecs or anything like that.
>
> However I'm told there is a plug in for it that will make it do either
> auto-commercial advance or honor the EVENT file, Need to know how to do
> that...

There is a ReplayTV-specific version of VLC which honors the event
information.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:21:44 AM

Where does one find the replay specific version?

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:21:45 AM

In article <Ibdbe.528$Jp5.519@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Where does one find the replay specific version?

well, you know that it's vlc and that it's for replaytv...

a quick google search shows......drum roll, please....

http://tinyurl.com/86p9g
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:21:45 AM

John in Detroit wrote:
> Where does one find the replay specific version?

Anything Replay happens first on the Replay forum at AVSForum.com. The
people who write all of these programs hang there, DNNA uses the members
for Beta testers and has employees who post there.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:45:33 PM

I'll give that a try.... The version I have won't work on my laptop, but
it sure works on the main computer in the office (it is downloading as I
type)

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:46:50 PM

Thanks, I got pointed there by another and am downloading while I type

Tony D wrote:
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> Where does one find the replay specific version?
>>
> Anything Replay happens first on the Replay forum at AVSForum.com. The
> people who write all of these programs hang there, DNNA uses the members
> for Beta testers and has employees who post there.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:44:04 AM

Now that DNNA has reduced the monthly fee to $6.95 (for additional units),
that raises the "break even" point to ~43 months instead of 23.... I'm
thinking of picking up a 5504 cheap to keep around in case one of my two
5040s with lifetime activation dies. That is, since DNNA now seems to be
willing to transfer lifetime activation to new units.

Regards,

Margaret

!