Gtx 580 overclock help

D

Deleted member 362816

So my stock settings are 797/1594/2025 on my evga gtx 580 watercooled

i can use these settings stable

825/1650/2050 and vcore 1.138 speed 955/1910/2200

I get higher fps in all games and benchmarks with my stock settings wtf?

Anyway all my monitoring programs show everything correct so what is the issue here specs are in sig

Solution
Even watercooled, GPUs fail at a much greater failure rate than overclocking your CPU does, what program or game would you possibly need to overclock a 580GTX for?

That's such an unnecessary risk for a 500+ dollar computer component and with water cooling a 600+ dollar GPU, all it takes is one memory chip not making good enough contact and your GPU is a crippled lost performer.

I stopped OCing my GPUs some time back, they were just getting too expensive to risk damaging them, and I cannot imagine any of todays programs that would require overclocking a 580GTX anyway.

Maybe for bragging rights, but that's a high price to pay to satisfy your own curiosity, because no one else really cares!

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
With a GPU overclock you should have higher performance..

Maybe decrease in performance was caused by having some extra program running in the background.

While you are trying to fix the issue, I would suggest tightening your system RAM timings. Set your timings to 9-9-9-24.

D

Deleted member 362816

That part is all good to go running evga oc scanner i get much better fps with the stock then overclock that even on the oc scanner benchmark. I really dont get it at all.

Even watercooled, GPUs fail at a much greater failure rate than overclocking your CPU does, what program or game would you possibly need to overclock a 580GTX for?

That's such an unnecessary risk for a 500+ dollar computer component and with water cooling a 600+ dollar GPU, all it takes is one memory chip not making good enough contact and your GPU is a crippled lost performer.

I stopped OCing my GPUs some time back, they were just getting too expensive to risk damaging them, and I cannot imagine any of todays programs that would require overclocking a 580GTX anyway.

Maybe for bragging rights, but that's a high price to pay to satisfy your own curiosity, because no one else really cares!

Solution