Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose a graphics card (~$100-$300)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2013 9:25:42 AM

So I'm pretty sure my old Radeon HD 5830 is dying on me. The fan is making a LOT of noise and occasionally (maybe once a month) my display will look screwed up for about a second.

(if you know a solution to the above, then that would be better than buying a new card ;)  )

I bought the card about 3 years ago and I don't really know anything about graphics cards anymore.

The 5830 met all my needs, I think. Money is not really a problem for me, but I would prefer to spend <$100 if I can. If a good card for my needs is $300, then sure I can spend that. But I'm guessing I'll be able to get what I need for $100 or less.

System specs:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (has two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots)
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366
Power Supply: 750W
RAM: 16GB

System use:
I'm mostly a developer these days (hence 16GB of RAM). Not much of a gamer. I do play some indie games, but I imagine the craziest I'd ever get is something like Skyrim. However, I do have a dual display. So I will need 2x DVI ports. EDIT: I would also prefer a card that runs quietly.

Let me know if you need to know anything else. Thanks for your help.
February 6, 2013 9:47:00 AM

Xttony said:
Get a HD7770ghz edition for about $100 since you are not much of a gamer.
Some hd 7770 cards feature two dvi ports. That card can handle skyrim at medium/high settings delivering 40+ fps.
Go for this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the advice.

However, I don't think the card you linked to will work. It's PCI Express 3.0 x16.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 10:12:42 AM

Yes it will work the card is backward compatible with pcie x16 2.0. I'm using hd7970 on a pcie x16 2.0 slot right now. Also the pcie 2.0 slots has enough bandwidth to support the fastest card of desktop till date.
Also if you are planning to game on two monitors then you'll need something better than that card. If you will be playing on one monitor then you'll be fine.
You can get HD7870 or GTX 660TI for playing games on two monitors.
m
l
February 6, 2013 10:29:20 AM

Xttony said:
Yes it will work the card is backward compatible with pcie x16 2.0. I'm using hd7970 on a pcie x16 2.0 slot right now. Also the pcie 2.0 slots has enough bandwidth to support the fastest card of desktop till date.
Also if you are planning to game on two monitors then you'll need something better than that card. If you will be playing on one monitor then you'll be fine.
You can get HD7870 or GTX 660TI for playing games on two monitors.

Ah ok, cool. I didn't know that PCIe was back/forwards compatible.

What do you mean by gaming on two monitors? Do you mean if I run Skyrim on one monitor and Crysis on the other? Haha. Or maybe there are games that need two monitors? :o 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 10:44:08 AM

hungryman123 said:
Ah ok, cool. I didn't know that PCIe was back/forwards compatible.

What do you mean by gaming on two monitors? Do you mean if I run Skyrim on one monitor and Crysis on the other? Haha. Or maybe there are games that need two monitors? :o 

There are some games that can be played on multiple monitors. The best example of such a game that I can think of now is dirt 3.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 5:49:22 PM

It will outperform the 7770 by a wide margin. Do you do anything that will utilize gpu compute performance? Also the HD7850 is a great card as well. Little more affordable.
-Bruce
m
l
!