Is this Gigabyte gtx670 faulty?

jdb264c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hi, I'm putting together a computer but have ran into a problem. The PSU is a FractalDesign Newton R3 800W, the motherboard a Asus mikroATX Maximus Gene V and the graphics card a Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce 3x. I've put all the pieces together and the gpu gets its power both with an eightpin as well as with a sixpin. When I start the computer I get no picture. Also, the fans on the gigabyte are completely still.
I hope I've just done something stupid, but could this be a falty Gigabyte?

did you plug in the 4/8 pin atx power plug for the pci power??
make sure with the onboard video when it posts..update the bios on the mb there some bug fixes needed for some nvidia card and post issues.

jdb264c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Yes, I'm using one of the fixed cables from the PSU (although it also has modular) and I've really pressed both contacts as far on as they go.

jdb264c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Yes, it's in (for me personally that's a classic to forget :) ) I get absolutely nothing on my display, having tried both DVI and HDMI.

jdb264c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I have now tried it with the 6+2pin/6pin (just leaving the additional 2pins off) from the PSU, the same from adding a modular cable to the PSU and then using the 2 Molex cables that came with the graphics card. None of the three combinations did anything to help :(

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well it sounds like 1 of 2 possabilities.
Your power supply is faulty or that card is dead....
Try a borrowed psu if you can or try your card in another system..friends perhaps...

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
have u ever tried plugging your monitor cord into the video card itself.....if it was faulty the PC would say it faulty by errors. Unplug your PC and check your motherboard to see if you properly put in the video card, auxiliary power from the PSU to video card, and the VGA cord to video card and monitor(if VGA cord don't fit, add DVI convertor to the VGA cord to the video card). If none of this works then your GPU is officially dead.

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
have u ever tried plugging your monitor cord into the video card itself.....if it was faulty the PC would say it faulty by errors. Unplug your PC and check your motherboard to see if you properly put in the video card, auxiliary power from the PSU to video card, and the VGA cord to video card and monitor(if VGA cord don't fit, add DVI convertor to the VGA cord to the video card). If none of this works then your GPU is officially dead.

jdb264c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Good idea! I tried my old graphic card in the new system and its fan powered up just fine so I guess it's the Gigabyte after all. Will return it to the store...

^+1. When I picked up my Gigabyte GTX670OC Windforce 3 I had to go into the BIOS and change my graphic adapter to PCI-E to get it to boot with the card. The fans not working though is another issue entirely and when my computer boots up it does spin up.

DSCN0183_zpse3950836.jpg

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Sorry for your card not working I ahev the exact same card and its sooo cool and fast even with MSAAx8 Everything Ultra on Crysis 3 it doesn't break a sweat. Get a replacement if you can if not check your connections. Be sure you card is fully snapped into the PCI E port and locked

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
You got a bad card. The red flag for me is the fans are not even turning on. That usually means the Card is not getting power. Return/exchange it.