Graphics card preventing system from booting

Doegewoon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hey everyone,

A couple of days ago my PC suddenly lost power. Attempting to power it only results in a CPU fan twitch. At first I thought it was a faulty PSU, but hooking the system up to a new one gave me the exact same problem. Unplugging the graphics card from the PSU allows the system to boot just fine. Does anyone know a way get my card working again, or should I just repair/replace it it?

Thanks guys.

Doegewoon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
My PSU is an XFX Core Edition 550W, and yeah, the replacement was the same model. Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD7950.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Sounds like your system doesn't have enough power. Chances are your first PSU just fell over and died, and the second one just doesn't have enough juice to power everything.

[Edit] Never mind, looked up your PSU and it has Seasonic internals. Definitely not a low quality unit. Do you have another GPU you could test with, or another computer to test the GPU in?

if you arent on a surge etc your psu might have not stopped a surge to your card and fried it but not likely. i would try another pcie slot first and if still nothing hope you still have a warranty and rma it

Doegewoon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Tried another pcie slot: no succes. Think I'll try to see if I can find another PC to test my card or otherwise just claim warranty.

yologelo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
So when the graphics card in theres no display but the fan onit spins?

Try taking the battery thing on ur computer for a few sec then put it back in it should work :D

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

It is likely, but not assured. Hardware failures can be deceptive, that's why we tell people to test things to be sure before they go and burn hundreds of dollars on something they don't need.

I don't know for sure but in a scenario where a modern card like a 7950 was not getting the power it needed I would expect the card to throttle down or just not run at all. The days when a card would pull and pull resulting in a dead card or PSU should be behind us.

looks like an RMA to me if possible.

Mactronix :)

jomari29

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
wow

Its the Graphics Card,
this happened mine 2 days ago, yes, blame the PSU, brought it to the store, tested and it works, decided to unplug GPU,
Tada boot up!!!

Changed PCIe slot no luck...

GPU is dead...