G

HI,

My system has currently a SCSI HD of 18 GB, now I want to install an secondary IDE HD (80 GB). Is it ok if I do the following: I set the jumper of the IDE to slave, connect it to the mobo, start up the system and use fdisk (in win xp) to format my HD and to make sure it has an name (D:\). Is this enough to get te system working?. Thanks for paying attention to this question, any suggestions are welcome.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can install it on the primary IDE as well, doesn't have to be the secondary. If you set your board's bios to boot first from the SCSI drive instead of the IDE drive, it won't look at that 80GB hard drive for a boot sector, only your 18GB SCSI.

I would also recommend setting it as master if it's the only drive on the IDE chain.

Now, how are you going to use FDISK on XP? Are you using a Win9x boot disk? If you are, MAKE SURE YOU FDISK the 80GB drive, not your 18GB SCSI (actually, it probably won't see the SCSI drive if you don't load the card drivers on the boot disk). If not, using Computer Management -> Drive management through your administrative tools should allow you to partition and format that drive and allow you to use whatever drive letter you like.

Did Weird Al write "It's all about the Pentiums" about me?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If your system is now SCSI and you and an IDE HDD, the IDE must be the bootable drive, because the IDE controller on the M/B will take precedence as the boot device. You will need to jumper the IDE (master), then fdisk, format, and create an active primary partition on the IDE HDD and install an OS to boot into. Your SCSI will then become your D:\ drive. SCSI and IDE can exist compatibly together. You should have no problems.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not neccesarily, as long as he adds the IDE drive after the Os is installed on the SCSI drive he should be ok. The OS should then first look to the IDE drive for the MBR find none and then go onto the SCSI drive. You are correct however if he had two blank drives installed then the OS install would place the MBR on the IDE drive.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ncogneto on 03/15/02 06:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Is that right? hmm...never done that before. Most of my builds have been from scratch. Thanks, learn something new everyday.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>