Solved

XFX HD 6970 GPU stuttering (single card)

I've read about the crossfire setups and stuttering problems, but how about single cards?

My Questions:
1) Is the GPU I bought on Ebay bad? Do I need to update it's software? or firmware? or whatever. This card has a lifetime warranty so I will try to RMA it.

2) Now that I know what I'm looking for, I noticed my card is micro-stuttering but not on the level as the Ebay card. This card, I can't RMA. It only has a 1 year warranty and it is out of warranty now. Purchased it from Newegg. They went from lifetime warranty to 1-year? wow.
---------------------------

I already own a XFX HD6970. I purchased a 2nd XFX 6970 on ebay with plans to crossfire. Everything seemed to work okay with my card. I removed it and installed the one I purchased on ebay just to make sure it was working (single card setup).
(both cards are same revision)

I also upgraded my cpu from I5 2500k to I7 2700k as well as my PSU.

Issue #1:
I started my pc and and everything seemed fine until I started watching any video and/or gaming. There was "crackling" and "stuttering" in all audio. It sounded like a wavering cassette tape (for those who used those ;) ). When I tried to play games, terrible stuttering and freezing. Not micro-stutter. Worse.
I removed the GPU I bought from Ebay and put my GPU back in. Problem went away.

------------------------------------
Issue #2:
I never noticed any stuttering or micro-stuttering with my original GPU until I started playing Codemasters F-1 game. When you're talking about tenths, hundredths or thousandths of a second determining pole position, the stuttering can be an aggravating problem. What it looks like to me is a car driving down the track...instantly, the graphics makes the car stop and go back a few yards...then the video continues again.
-----------------------------------

I've posed my questions above.

Again, this is a single card setup. I haven't tried to crossfire them yet.
I play my F-1 game in eyefinity. The video settings are windowed mode and auto detect graphics level.

Using speedfan controls, I keep my GPU temps at or below 70C when gaming. So, I don't think it's a temperature issue.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

CPU: I7 2700K
Mobo: P8P67
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (blue)
HDD: WD Black
GPU: XFX HD 6970
PSU: 1050W Seasonic
Monitors: 3 x 23" Asus gaming monitors
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6970 stuttering single card
  1. Best answer
    Sounds like there may have been some degredation in the card you bought, possibly from ESD.
  2. Best answer selected by d4nny97.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs Graphics