SUBWOOFER DESIGN

Last response: in Home Audio
August 15, 2004 3:37:23 PM

Hi

I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
.....say 25Hz.

Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
amplifier for this purpose.

Thanks in advance

Suraj

More about : subwoofer design

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:59:58 PM

"Suraj" <suraj@stendekrnd.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
> Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
> handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
> parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
> making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
> sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
> designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
> to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
> ....say 25Hz.
>
> Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
> this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
> amplifier for this purpose.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Suraj

It's just a box.
Stuff it dense and modes won't bother you.
Don't make it more complictated that it has to be.
Be sure you get UL approval.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:23:07 PM

"Suraj" <suraj@stendekrnd.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
> Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
> handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
> parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
> making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
> sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
> designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
> to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
> ....say 25Hz.
>
> Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
> this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
> amplifier for this purpose.

Here's some articles about measuring T/S paramters for yourself:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-27663.html

http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/measure.html

http://www.purebits.com/appnote16.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumbe...

I would not attempt a bandpass design without T/S parameters that I believed
in, and a good low-velocity vent.
August 18, 2004 8:25:26 AM

Try adire audio website, they have a software for designing subs.

> "Suraj" <suraj@stendekrnd.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
> > Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
> > handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
> > parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
> > making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
> > sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
> > designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
> > to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
> > ....say 25Hz.
> >
> > Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
> > this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
> > amplifier for this purpose.
>
> Here's some articles about measuring T/S paramters for yourself:
>
> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-27663.html
>
> http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/measure.html
>
> http://www.purebits.com/appnote16.html
>
> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumbe...
>
> I would not attempt a bandpass design without T/S parameters that I
believed
> in, and a good low-velocity vent.

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:52:39 AM

"Sugarite" wrote
> "Suraj" <suraj@stendekrnd.com> wrote

[...]
> > Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure
> > for this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
> > amplifier for this purpose.
> It's just a box.
> Stuff it dense and modes won't bother you.

No, I woudn't do that.
What _bass_ modes are there in about 2' by 2' by 3'?

> Don't make it more complictated that it has to be.

Yeah, life can be easy, and sometimes even more
than _you_ think...;-)

Rudi Fischer
--
....and may good music always be with you
!