Routers NOT made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirtc1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I refuse to buy products manufactured in China. I've been able to do this for over a year now. My router has died, and I'm looking for one manufactured outside of China. A non-communist country. Taiwan, Indonesia, etc are fine. Does anyone have a suggestion for brand and model? If I'm unable to find one, then I will will no longer use wireless.

Thank you,
Kirt

Reactions: lllwalker

RealBeast

Titan
Good luck with that.

Every model that I've seen has a significant number of parts made in mainland China, although the same is true of probably all computer products so none of them would meet your standard. At least some parts in all computers and cellular phones are made in China, exceptions to that rule are rare.

Personally, I am happy to see the rare company like Intel building new fabs in the US. Unfortunately, it costs far less to manufacture in China. (example all Apple products are principally made in China -- many by Foxconn's Chinese factories)

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Realbeast is right. Almost most of the electronics and gadgets are completely or partially manufactured in either China or Taiwan. I guess, its a wrong perception that all the brands made in China or Taiwan are bad. You should have a broad view while selecting a product based on its company reputation and reviews. One example, I would like to give here.

There is a company called Securifi who has invented world's first wireless touch screen router. Its industry's first. Company is from Taiwan and product name is Almond and its really getting a huge positive response from across the world. I checked its review and decided to buy of them.....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57383805-1/securifi-almond-a-wireless-router-for-the-post-pc-era/

Kirtc1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks guys. They are out there. You just have to look. Search for something such as "Wireless Router" "Made in X" where X is a country. Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, etc.

Side note... My original question has nothing to do with quality or lack thereof. Lots of people bitch and moan about all kinds of products no longer being made in "pick your country of choice", but they make scapegoats out of politicians and CEOs. You're ultimately responsible for what you buy, not them. Sometimes doing what you claim to believe isn't easy. For me, that's not even the main issue. The main issue is China's complete disregard for human rights, etc. You buy stuff from China and you're supporting the Chinese government, which I do not.

Now, this will probably all get deleted because someone doesn't like it, but C'est la vie.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Even if you find something made elsewhere, it is most likely that 90% of the internal parts were made in China. Technically, parts can be made in China, shipped to the US, then assembled here with a "Made in the USA" stamp. That's often how cars are made in the US, for example, Toyota may ship parts forged in Japan to their US factories, then the cars are assembled in a US plant which then gives the buyer the satisfaction of purchasing a car "made" in America - when technically it wasn't.

The reality is that the majority of electronics are made in China, so there really is no way of avoiding buying anything electronic that didn't have some part of it made in China. I typically prefer to purchase products made in friendly democratic countries, but when it comes to electronics I don't even bother because China pretty much has that market cornered.

sanuzdar

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

so glad some others see what we see & are making a statement, even if it's a small one. Buying "not made in China" stuff has really been a boon for my budget. With rare exceptions, if we can't find it made some where besides China, we just live without it. Did just find a desktop made primarily in Mx. True that much tech stuff is manuf'd in China, but if we continue to demand different, companies will respond, consumers do have the power, if only they would realize it!!
C & B

Reactions: lllwalker

sk1939

Distinguished
As far as I know, there are practically no routers not made in China. The other issue is that even if there are, manufactures change locations depending on the series and revision, so what may hold true now may not next shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.