Routers NOT made in China?

I refuse to buy products manufactured in China. I've been able to do this for over a year now. My router has died, and I'm looking for one manufactured outside of China. A non-communist country. Taiwan, Indonesia, etc are fine. Does anyone have a suggestion for brand and model? If I'm unable to find one, then I will will no longer use wireless.

Thank you,
Kirt
Reply to Kirtc1
10 answers Last reply
More about routers made china
  1. Good luck with that.

Every model that I've seen has a significant number of parts made in mainland China, although the same is true of probably all computer products so none of them would meet your standard. At least some parts in all computers and cellular phones are made in China, exceptions to that rule are rare.

Personally, I am happy to see the rare company like Intel building new fabs in the US. Unfortunately, it costs far less to manufacture in China. (example all Apple products are principally made in China -- many by Foxconn's Chinese factories)
    Reply to RealBeast
  2. Realbeast is right. Almost most of the electronics and gadgets are completely or partially manufactured in either China or Taiwan. I guess, its a wrong perception that all the brands made in China or Taiwan are bad. You should have a broad view while selecting a product based on its company reputation and reviews. One example, I would like to give here.

There is a company called Securifi who has invented world's first wireless touch screen router. Its industry's first. Company is from Taiwan and product name is Almond and its really getting a huge positive response from across the world. I checked its review and decided to buy of them.....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57383805-1/securifi-almond-a-wireless-router-for-the-post-pc-era/
    Reply to Routersforhumans
  3. Thanks guys. They are out there. You just have to look. Search for something such as "Wireless Router" "Made in X" where X is a country. Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, etc.

Side note... My original question has nothing to do with quality or lack thereof. Lots of people bitch and moan about all kinds of products no longer being made in "pick your country of choice", but they make scapegoats out of politicians and CEOs. You're ultimately responsible for what you buy, not them. Sometimes doing what you claim to believe isn't easy. For me, that's not even the main issue. The main issue is China's complete disregard for human rights, etc. You buy stuff from China and you're supporting the Chinese government, which I do not.

Now, this will probably all get deleted because someone doesn't like it, but C'est la vie.
    Reply to Kirtc1
  4. I understand your motive and that seems rational, but no matter where it says its made it has Chinese parts, which are assembled elsewhere.
    Reply to RealBeast
  5. Even if you find something made elsewhere, it is most likely that 90% of the internal parts were made in China. Technically, parts can be made in China, shipped to the US, then assembled here with a "Made in the USA" stamp. That's often how cars are made in the US, for example, Toyota may ship parts forged in Japan to their US factories, then the cars are assembled in a US plant which then gives the buyer the satisfaction of purchasing a car "made" in America - when technically it wasn't.

The reality is that the majority of electronics are made in China, so there really is no way of avoiding buying anything electronic that didn't have some part of it made in China. I typically prefer to purchase products made in friendly democratic countries, but when it comes to electronics I don't even bother because China pretty much has that market cornered.
    Reply to aaron88_7
  6. Kirtc1 said:
    Thanks guys. They are out there. You just have to look. Search for something such as "Wireless Router" "Made in X" where X is a country. Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, etc.

Side note... My original question has nothing to do with quality or lack thereof. Lots of people bitch and moan about all kinds of products no longer being made in "pick your country of choice", but they make scapegoats out of politicians and CEOs. You're ultimately responsible for what you buy, not them. Sometimes doing what you claim to believe isn't easy. For me, that's not even the main issue. The main issue is China's complete disregard for human rights, etc. You buy stuff from China and you're supporting the Chinese government, which I do not.

Now, this will probably all get deleted because someone doesn't like it, but C'est la vie.

so glad some others see what we see & are making a statement, even if it's a small one. Buying "not made in China" stuff has really been a boon for my budget. With rare exceptions, if we can't find it made some where besides China, we just live without it. Did just find a desktop made primarily in Mx. True that much tech stuff is manuf'd in China, but if we continue to demand different, companies will respond, consumers do have the power, if only they would realize it!!
    C & B
    Reply to sanuzdar
  7. As far as I know, there are practically no routers not made in China. The other issue is that even if there are, manufactures change locations depending on the series and revision, so what may hold true now may not next shipment.
    Reply to sk1939
  8. Just note that any router manufactured or assembled in the United States will arrive at your door with specialized NSA tracking devises. Thank you for the enlightenment Edward Snowden.
    Reply to MK Eggbert
  9. I do not buy Chinese products neither! Actually it's not easy to find Not-made in China products but always do my best.
    Reasons:
    - Quality: the only thing in Cnese producers' mind is profit. No room for humanity. They do not care that their products can harm people, even their people. They have motivation, capability and their traditional way to do business is to cheat the law. See Baby Milk scandal in CN (more than 100 babies died and unable to know how many have long-term effects), poisoned kid toys, foods, etc.
    - Profit is not for CNese people. CNese people still have to work hard for very low income (labor cost is the key of CNese products' low price). A huge part of the profit come to Gov's budget and being used for CN gov's ambition - A Great China. See Huawei scandal, GM Deal, etc.

Nowadays, phones, modems, routers and many other communication devices are nearly 100% made in CN. Just added a code line in these devices, who know what they can do?

I never buy CNese products if I have one other choice. Unfortunately, no Not-made in CN modems.
    Reply to X2014
  10. X2014 said:
    I do not buy Chinese products neither! Actually it's not easy to find Not-made in China products but always do my best.
    Reasons:
    - Quality: the only thing in Cnese producers' mind is profit. No room for humanity. They do not care that their products can harm people, even their people. They have motivation, capability and their traditional way to do business is to cheat the law. See Baby Milk scandal in CN (more than 100 babies died and unable to know how many have long-term effects), poisoned kid toys, foods, etc.
    - Profit is not for CNese people. CNese people still have to work hard for very low income (labor cost is the key of CNese products' low price). A huge part of the profit come to Gov's budget and being used for CN gov's ambition - A Great China. See Huawei scandal, GM Deal, etc.

Nowadays, phones, modems, routers and many other communication devices are nearly 100% made in CN. Just added a code line in these devices, who know what they can do?

I never buy CNese products if I have one other choice. Unfortunately, no Not-made in CN modems.

Hey man I am living in China and about what you said is 100% true,but just one thing I think you may dont know, Do you know how many percent of profit would Chinese people get from semiconductor stuffs?And how many percent of profit would foreign companies to get? Its about 1% for Chinese people ,80% for foreign companies.So do you start to understand why most of foreign companies wanna build factory in China right ?

So what CNese people have getton with the 1%profit? Pollution? polluted air? polluted warter? milk? and polluted heart absolutely!!!
    When I was a Kid, the sky of my hometown was bule, I can count star at night. People were very kind with their neighbor, on the bus its always too crowed but always there were people let old guys or pregnant women to seat their sit.
    After 20 years everything have been changed, I saw a pregnant woman with a big belly stand on a train in a subway for a long time, but nobody to let her to sit down a few days ago.

Why those things change so fast ? just 20 years, still same people,may be add some young guys, but the environment totally changed. So please shut off your prejudice and pride mouth and really think what the really problem is.

Communism of couse!!! That is the first word jump out from your mind right? Come on, dont be ridiculous. If you had ever been China, you would know there is no communism in China any more, may be just in some body's mouth or their mind. Now a day its absolutely capitalism,but just initial stage. Just like western country did in their initial stage. Different thing is your guys’ ancestor took advantage from black people, indian and Chinese people. But Chinese people are taking advantage from their own people.
    In Capital , its called Exploitation.Have you ever read Capital or Das Kapital?

About Capitalism Karl Mark are correct at lots of place.Have you ever read Capital or Bible?
    James3:8 But no human can tame the tongue.It is unruly and injurious, full of deadly poison.
    So please read more, think more, judge less.
    Reply to Homepeople
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Routers Products Networking