3 Monitor Setup GTX 680

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I need some advice on a triple monitor setup.

I don't have a thousand to spend on monitors and if I understand correctly i can use 3 of the same monitor without using the display port.

I say without the display port because i don't have like 2,000 to spend on high end monitors.

So if possible i would love to be able to buy 3 monitors that are 100-150 each and run nvidia surround.

Any help and monitor recommendations would be sweet.

Solution
According to the nvidia website you can use any 3 of the 4 connections for surround.

"Special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use any
connector for the Accessory Display.
"

badam

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I am not familiar with using nvidia surround but a quick search says that your motherboard needs to be sli compatible, unless you have the gtx 295, 590 or 690.
Unless you are referring the the 3D surround which would require 3d compatible monitors.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements

As for using 3 monitors it really is up to you, I have to 660ti and have 2 hooked up to dvi ports then the third (a tv) to the hdmi port. What size monitors are you looking for? By watching sales I have found 23" monitors in that range. Microcenter.com and newegg.com both have them for around $130

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Pleade list your computer specs.
If you have a 600 series card, you can use 3 monitors with dvi and an active displayport adapter. You dont have to buy monitors that have displayport.

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Intel i5 2400 3.4 ghz
8 gb ddr3 ram
GTX 680 4gb
Z77X-UD3H

On the nvidia website it said that with the 680 you can have up to 4 monitors with 3 setup in nvidia surround and 1 as an auxiliary monitor. But I don't know if i need a monitor with a display port on it or not because with previous cards you need sli and HAD to use a display port. But nvidia confused me.

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I use a 670 with 4 monitors. The 3 monitors in surround use DVI (I use an active DP adapter on one of them) and then a 4th on hdmi.
So yes you have to use the displayport port, but you can use an adapter.

I have mine setup with a displayPort and two DVI in surround and my forth monitor using HDMI. But to tell the truth I never tried hooking up 3 of my monitors without DisplayPort since all of my Asus 27" monitors support it so I can't really say if it would have worked without one of them being on DisplayPort or not. This setup worked correctly for Windows 8 and Hackintosh 10.8.2 so I have not messed with it.

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
According to the nvidia website you can use any 3 of the 4 connections for surround.

"Special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use any
connector for the Accessory Display.
"

Solution

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks you for clarifying this :D