A Heads Up to Radeon HD Owners

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 6, 2013 11:29:29 PM

As of this post, AMD's Catalyst 13.1 and 13.2 beta drivers are causing me issues with Firefox, creating graphical anomalies on certain sites. For exmaple, Facebook's chat side panel was displaying black bars all over it.

Reverting to 12.10 fixed the issue. I reported the issue to AMD, so hopefully it will be addressed before 13.2 goes live.

I also encountered trouble while trying to remove the drivers and revert to the old ones. There must have been leftover registry errors or something, because the reinstalled 12.10 CCC kept crashing. I used a program called Driver Sweeper to fix the issue, by uninstalling the drivers, running Driver Sweeper for AMD / ATI display drivers, and restarting. It is now error-free on 12.10.

I'm not sure if this issue applies to the entire 7XXX line, or just my particular rig, so here are my specs:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 (usually overclocked, dropped to stock for driver installation and to see if that was the problem)
i5-3570k @ 4.5GHz
8GB DDR3 1600
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I am 100% malware-free, all drivers updated, all involved programs updated

Programs running during errors:
Avast! Antivirus
Fraps
Stardock WindowsFX 5
Razer Anansi Software
Razer Synapse 2.0
Steam
Firefox

Anyway, hopefully this will help anyone having similar issues.

More about : heads radeon owners

February 6, 2013 11:41:28 PM

I've always preferred chrome but thanks anyways.
m
l
February 6, 2013 11:52:48 PM

13.2 BETA has been working well for me. It seems to have resolved some very annoying issues including crashes that I've had with previous drivers. Another issue was with monitor sleep.

Not sure what BETA they're up to now but I'm using 13.2 BETA 3 and staying with it until the release since it has resolved those annoying issues.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 11:55:52 PM

TidalWaveOne said:
13.2 BETA has been working well for me. It seems to have resolved some very annoying issues including crashes that I've had with previous drivers. Another issue was with monitor sleep.

Not sure what BETA they're up to now but I'm using 13.2 BETA 3 and staying with it until the release since it has resolved those annoying issues.

13.2 B5. Also, are you using Firefox? Which graphics card model?
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:02:04 AM

jrgray93 said:
13.2 B5. Also, are you using Firefox? Which graphics card model?

Yes, using Firefox. I have dual 7850's and running 5 monitors.
m
l
February 7, 2013 11:15:25 AM

TidalWaveOne said:
Yes, using Firefox. I have dual 7850's and running 5 monitors.

Oooo nice.

It seems like there are a ton of variables that could be playing into these issues, but I figure somebody might Google their problem and find this thread and it might help them, so I thought I would post about it. Although all of my hardware is healthy, very few, if any people will have their systems set up the same as mine, down to the running software. I just hope AMD fixes it so I can stay up to date.
m
l
February 7, 2013 11:33:47 AM

jrgray93 said:
I just hope AMD fixes it so I can stay up to date.

I have been REALLY disappointed with the quality of AMD's drivers since I got my 7850's (and paid a nice chunk of $$$$). My old 5770's were very stable but for months after upgrading to dual 7850's I suffered with random system crashes, monitor sleep issues, and other strange behaviors. It finally seems the 13.2 BETA 3 drivers resolved the issue as I haven't had the crashes or sleep issues since. It took them far too long and who knows what bugs they will re-introduce. I wish they would concentrate more on stability rather than performance, at least make stability & bugs a priority over performance.
m
l