New to Overclock and dont want to damage

sucho14

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I have a few questions about this overclock cpu business.

whats a good temperature range for a core i7 930 to be at?

how does the voltages play in to over clocking?

whats my multiplier and do i change that or is it just set?

I kinda figured out that ur clock is ur BLCK frequency times your multiplier but when i overclock my cpu gets hot which im assuming is bad. is looking into like a 50$ cooler with the performance boost?

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
increase the voltage on your cpu and see what's stable for you..not every cpu is the same..some can overclock higher then others...just cause someone hit 4ghz on there i7 930 doesn't mean yours can...Try to shoot for 3.8ghz and increase the voltage on your cpu...run prime 95 on it and see if it's stable....Also the Sythe Mugen is a damn good air cooler i would suggest that one especially for $40...It can compete with the best air cooler for half the price...

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
What you need to do is read a whole lot of articles on overclocking I7's! You need to find out what is the max voltage that you cpu can handle without damaging it. Basically start googleing and start reading. Download prime 95 which is software that pushes your system to check stability. Also you need to download real temp so you can see what temperature your cores are running at. Also before you start overclocking make sure you get a good cpu cooler I recommend the thermaltake frio. So there is no easy answer to your question you need to do a lot of reading a stable oc is accomplished after days of testing and failures. Your computer might get a lot of blue screens buy keep going that is all relative to overclocking. You might need to reset your cmos or pull your battery of the motherboard but this is all the things that are included with overclocking. Read the overclocking guide in the tomshardware section it is very helpful. Start reading and good luck!