Extreme Hot Laptop GPU? Nearly Boiling Point.

Byamba3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
My GPU has been running fantastic although the idle temp was around 55 Celsius, and when in game it could go from 70-90 Celsius.

Now it's far worse, it has bypassed 100 C couple of times where it would just shut itself down, but never came to the point where it burned itself. I am really guessing it's because of the fan which collected lot of dust and causing my gpu to run far slower than it was at first.
My laptop case feels so hot, and I still wonder why it hasn't melted yet.
For example, 5 min in the game when the temp is at around 80C it would have good FPS, then 5 min later it would drop down about 10 fps, and when I check the temp its over 90 celcius.

It has been like this for half a year, I do gaming pretty much all the time on my laptop, I still wonder how it hasn't burned itself yet.

One thing I have to say is Acer Aspire's fanning system really sucks. The graphics card is 540m, can run latest games on medium.

I wanted to open up my laptop and clean the fan, but that's way too much work and bit risky. Would have to involve removing the monitor and keyboard to get to the fan.

4745454b

Titan
But you might not have any other choice. The fan must get cleaned.

Most laptops I've seen allow you fan access by removing the back. Just a bunch of screws and you should be looking at the cooling assembly. Read the manual, pay someone if you need to. But you need to get it done.

4745454b

Titan
Need to be careful with air compressor. I think some of them can blow hard enough to damage the fans. A shot from an air can should be ok. Problem is without the casing open to allow the dirt/dust to escape it won't be long before its back in the sink/fan blades. Opening it really is the best way.