LAST NEWS ON IBM 120GXP

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
From the IBM technical support I received explanation about the "333 hours/month" They say :" the specification
represents typical desktop PC usage" and "It is not an indication of the maximum number of power-on hours. The drive can and has been used successfully in
24x7 operations"
I already use the drive in 24x7 operations, well cooled, it remains below 30 °C (IBM HDD tools).
So, I believe the question, at the moment, is closed.

FatBurger

Illustrious
What was the question?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Speaking about the transfer rate of the GXP I also asked about the 333/hours limit that make such drive not suitable for all that application a user, that buy a 120 GB HDD for
about 390 EURO (about 340 US$), needs from such HDD.
In the e-mail, the technical reference (that reports about the 333 hours limit) for the hard disk have been not mentioned.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm-
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
mmmmmm.................-

(using the Star Trek 'Checkov' accent)

Weary, Weary In-tor-esting...

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not comprehending here... (???)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
You too? Good, I thought maybe it was just me and ej.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
ASK AND YOU'LL BE ANSWERED.
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/sources/tsc.htm
I hope so.
I will try to be clearer
During a technical discussion with Mr. Adrian Cutler - IBM Technology Group, he assured me that the 8/11 hours a day limit is just an indication, but the drive has no problem to work 24/7.
A drive could be wearied by too frequent stop and go cycles and by too high temperature inside the box.
It was not an answer to a question but a clarification about something that is worryng many "potential" buyers (he knows about the technical forum discussing on this matter) .
Now, the question is : this clarification has been made to explain a not clear indication reported on technical specification or it is a risky indication with the aim to increase the hdd selling ?
Personally I believe in the first hypothesis

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by unoc on 03/16/02 04:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Bottom line. IBM doesn't know what the longevity will be.
Buyer beware.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
IBM could be worried about the life span of those drives if constantly powered on. There is something there not telling us....something only they know... Could be a glich or something... it's like ..they want to make damn sure your out of warranty when these count less drives die... i wouldn't buy one...........SNiFF ....SNiFF.. I smell a rat

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I smell a rat,
It's not a rat,,
It's a IBM mole,,,

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>