Sign in with
Your question

His 7970 ghz ed crossfire or a single gtx 690?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2013 4:50:12 AM

I'm doing a new build in about a week and I can't decide on which to go with
I don't know if I should go with His 7970ghz ed 3gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or a gtx 690.
Any opinions or recommendations will help Thanks!!!
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 4:56:12 AM

Well, in regards to pure performance, you should go with the crossfire 7970's.

Going with the GTX 690 will not give you the same performance. It has only 2x2gb vram (as opposed to the 2x3gb vram from the 7970's). However, the GTX 690 will save space, use much less power, and produce far less heat.

It might be easier to compare the 7970 and 680 first, and see which one you like more. What holds true for the 7970 v 680 comparison holds true for the 7970x2 v 690 comparison.

Edit: I should also mention that you'll save like $100 going with the crossfire 7970's (the one's you picked) vs the cheapest gtx 690.
m
l
February 7, 2013 6:01:07 AM

Performance of hd7970 ghz cf is on par with every other graphic cards in sli or dual gpu but as fudoka said the heat,power and space issues dont bother you go for it.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2013 1:29:00 PM

Yeah I was aware of the heat problem and I'm going with a cooler master haf xm and I'll be putting a side fan to blow directly over them. I also will go with a seasonic x 1050w 80plus gold psu. I just read a review on Anandtech that compares a single 7970 with other gpu and it gets pretty hot so I can only imagine having two.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 1:43:21 PM

gloo69 said:
I'm doing a new build in about a week and I can't decide on which to go with
I don't know if I should go with His 7970ghz ed 3gb
Or a gtx 690.
Any opinions or recommendations will help Thanks!!!

Might be worth it to you to wait a couple of weeks Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a single GPU "Titan" that will perform close to the same as the GTX 690 for ~$900. Last I heard it was going to be release by the end of this month... Just something you might want to think about.

Edit: Oh yea They say it will have 6gb of ram and a 384 bit bus as well.
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:08:34 PM

Damn I just looked into that and yup its suppose to be one hell of a card!
This sucks theres always something new around the corner but I think I might just wait to see what this card has to offer.
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:51:55 PM

fudoka711 said:
Well, in regards to pure performance, you should go with the crossfire 7970's.

Going with the GTX 690 will not give you the same performance. It has only 2x2gb vram (as opposed to the 2x3gb vram from the 7970's). However, the GTX 690 will save space, use much less power, and produce far less heat.

It might be easier to compare the 7970 and 680 first, and see which one you like more. What holds true for the 7970 v 680 comparison holds true for the 7970x2 v 690 comparison.

Edit: I should also mention that you'll save like $100 going with the crossfire 7970's (the one's you picked) vs the cheapest gtx 690.

What about two 680's superclocked signature 2?
I don't think they'll be as power hungry as two 7970's.
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:12:54 PM

Will this "Titan" out perform 2 7970's in crossfire? Or two 680's in SLI?

Cause as I see it right now... isn't it something along these lines..

7970 CF > 680 SLI > GTX 690 > Nvidia Titan

As for the 7790.. i"m not too sure where that fits into the mix up. I don't know if it's better than the 690, or the titan, but surely it it's not better than 7970 cf or 680 sli
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 1:40:58 PM

Well the difference in the Titan vs all the other setups you listed is the fact that the titan is a single card so it will work in all games and you will have far less microstuttering - It also has 6 gb of ram.
m
l
February 11, 2013 9:53:36 PM

What do you mean by "all games"? Like how certain games don't have an sli profile?
I'm waiting too see how this card is but I'm getting tired of waiting haha This is going to be my first build and I'm might upgrade in the next two years after I finish my undergraduate degree well thats if all goes well and graphics cards prices aren't through the roof by then but I'm pretty sure they will be.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 3:04:34 PM

gloo69 said:
What do you mean by "all games"? Like how certain games don't have an sli profile?
I'm waiting too see how this card is but I'm getting tired of waiting haha This is going to be my first build and I'm might upgrade in the next two years after I finish my undergraduate degree well thats if all goes well and graphics cards prices aren't through the roof by then but I'm pretty sure they will be.

Yea i mean that not all game support crossfire/sli... Won't be an issue with the titan. It should only be 2 weeks till its out, you can do it!
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:27:10 PM

Let's say, hypothetically, that price isn't a concern.

If you have crossfired 7970's which do indeed outperform a single 690, you're taking up both your PCI-e slots. Future upgrades will have to be an entirely new setup.

If you have a single 690 (dual-core) which is still a beastly card and nips right behind the 7970's in crossfire (and outperforms in some games due to driver issues), you can throw another one in down the road for Quad-SLI.

If you wait for Titan, which is roughly 85% performance of a 690 (recently released benchmarks support this figure), but yet is a SINGLE GPU, you won't have the problems that SLI introduces for almost the same power, and assuming the Titan will be available on shelves down the road, you can throw another one in for a very powerful SLI setup. That's a big assumption though, and we have no idea yet of the limitations NVIDIA might place upon the Titan. It could be locked up completely, and there might not be enough going around to feasibly pick up another one for SLI.

My choice: Wait for Titan, don't buy it unless the reviews/benchmarks are just ridiculously awesome (doubtful) and it's left open for overclocking. Instead, find someone's throw-away 690 (in anticipation for Titan), or two of them, and enjoy :) 
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:22:23 PM

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking about going with crossfire/sli. They take up a lot of space. I've been looking up things on the Titan but nothing new has came out about it. On another topic what do you all think about gigabyte's g1.sniper 3 motherboard? I've read some pretty good reviews on it but I do like the sabertooth a lot also.
m
l
!