Matrox RT2500/2000?

G

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a good quality capture card to produce semi professional movies (off my DV Camera) and I have a budget of around 1000$ for the card. I've read Tom's Hardware review of the Matrox RT2000 and it seems at first that it was a great card. When I click to see sites that were selling it, I found out a review which said that this wasn't worth it as it was a pain to install. I have 2 questions, first, is it the best card in the price range of 1000$-1500$ and what kind of quality can I resonably think of getting? And second of all, are compatibily problems often an issue?

My computer (some components are listed only because I think they might interfere with the capture card)

I own a p3-866
256meg ram
2 HD Ultra DMA 66 (system --> 20gig video --> 40gig)
Hercules GForce 2 Pro
MS Win 98 & XP
ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
SB Live
2 Network cards (for internet sharing)
Asus 50x CD-ROM drive
Plextor Burner 12/10/32A

Thank you for any replies or suggestions!

Nick

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you've got a DV camera than all you really need is a firewire port. Firewire cards can be bought for $25 or less. Spend the rest of your money on editing software.

Is there a capture card that will noticibly improve capture over a firewire port for less than $1000? I don't know, but I doubt it. I'll let Scuba answer that.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

G

Thanks for the answer, but I also want to input from my VCR and my other analog camera. This is why I was considering the RT2000 (or 2500) since the review stated that's it's the best deal between a cheap card which will produced poor results and a 50,000$ card which I just can't afford :(