Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Required for DVarchive

Tags:
  • Ptv Replaytv
  • Computers
  • ReplayTV
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:59:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep (ie
free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store my
DVarchive files.

Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
32 RAM
Network card
Windows 98 SE

I am able to download shows off of the Replay unit to the computer
without any problems.

The Replay unit sees the DVarchive machine but it will not list the
show that I have downloaded.

I am willing to spend $ and add a 120GB hard
I am willing to spend $ and add 256 RAM.

If I make those additions will that solve the problem of the Replay
unit not listing the shows? Or is this just not enough of a computer
to work with the replay unit?

Thanks
BEP

More about : computer required dvarchive

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:35:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep (ie
> free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store my
> DVarchive files.

I'm surprised that you were able to download a file at all. A half-hour
show recorded at standard quality (which takes the least space) would still
take up 500 MB and, by your stats, you only have 200 MB free.

Did you search your computer and find the actual file (it will be listed
as the Show and Episode title)? I doubt that it is there.

What seems most likely is that DVArchive wasn't able to create the file
and, instead of telling you that it was out of disk space, just dumped it.

If you add a larger hard drive, then this shouldn't be a problem.

How do you intend to use DVArchive? A Pentium II CPU will top out at 450
MHz, from what I see on Pricewatch.com, and yours is probably slower.

Because of this, you may have problems streaming the video back to your
ReplayTV, but you can probably view the shows on the computer itself.


Jeff



> Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
> 32 RAM
> Network card
> Windows 98 SE
>
> I am able to download shows off of the Replay unit to the computer
> without any problems.
>
> The Replay unit sees the DVarchive machine but it will not list the
> show that I have downloaded.
>
> I am willing to spend $ and add a 120GB hard
> I am willing to spend $ and add 256 RAM.
>
> If I make those additions will that solve the problem of the Replay
> unit not listing the shows? Or is this just not enough of a computer
> to work with the replay unit?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:42:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jeff Lindstrom wrote:
> "bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep
(ie
> > free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store
my
> > DVarchive files.
>
> I'm surprised that you were able to download a file at all. A
half-hour
> show recorded at standard quality (which takes the least space) would
still
> take up 500 MB and, by your stats, you only have 200 MB free.
>
> Did you search your computer and find the actual file (it will be
listed
> as the Show and Episode title)? I doubt that it is there.
>
> What seems most likely is that DVArchive wasn't able to create the
file
> and, instead of telling you that it was out of disk space, just
dumped it.
>
> If you add a larger hard drive, then this shouldn't be a problem.
>
> How do you intend to use DVArchive? A Pentium II CPU will top out
at 450
> MHz, from what I see on Pricewatch.com, and yours is probably slower.
>
> Because of this, you may have problems streaming the video back to
your
> ReplayTV, but you can probably view the shows on the computer itself.
>
>
> Jeff
>
>
>
> > Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
> > 32 RAM
> > Network card
> > Windows 98 SE
> >
> > I am able to download shows off of the Replay unit to the computer
> > without any problems.
> >
> > The Replay unit sees the DVarchive machine but it will not list the
> > show that I have downloaded.
> >
> > I am willing to spend $ and add a 120GB hard
> > I am willing to spend $ and add 256 RAM.
> >
> > If I make those additions will that solve the problem of the Replay
> > unit not listing the shows? Or is this just not enough of a
computer
> > to work with the replay unit?

The available disk space is after the transfer of the 1 one show. It
does show up in the DVarchive list on the computer.

As to the answer to your second question, I was hoping to use the PC to
stream back to the Replay unit. I do not mind spending a few dollars
if it will work but I do not want to put more money into this machine
if it is not capable of steaming back to the Replay unit

BEP
Related resources
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 02 May 2005 03:35:56 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep (ie
>> free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store my
>> DVarchive files.
>
> I'm surprised that you were able to download a file at all. A half-hour
>show recorded at standard quality (which takes the least space) would still
>take up 500 MB and, by your stats, you only have 200 MB free.
>
> Did you search your computer and find the actual file (it will be listed
>as the Show and Episode title)? I doubt that it is there.
>
> What seems most likely is that DVArchive wasn't able to create the file
>and, instead of telling you that it was out of disk space, just dumped it.
>
> If you add a larger hard drive, then this shouldn't be a problem.
>
> How do you intend to use DVArchive? A Pentium II CPU will top out at 450
>MHz, from what I see on Pricewatch.com, and yours is probably slower.
>
> Because of this, you may have problems streaming the video back to your
>ReplayTV, but you can probably view the shows on the computer itself.
>
>
>Jeff
>
>

DVA will work more smoothly on a faster computer.

>
>> Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
>> 32 RAM
>> Network card
>> Windows 98 SE
>>
>> I am able to download shows off of the Replay unit to the computer
>> without any problems.
>>
>> The Replay unit sees the DVarchive machine but it will not list the
>> show that I have downloaded.
>>
>> I am willing to spend $ and add a 120GB hard
>> I am willing to spend $ and add 256 RAM.
>>
>> If I make those additions will that solve the problem of the Replay
>> unit not listing the shows? Or is this just not enough of a computer
>> to work with the replay unit?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:33:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

[resend]

Mark, although you are generally very helpful and have provided many
people with the needed answers on this news group, your response:

"DVA will work more smoothly on a faster computer."

Is not one of your more enlightening answers. : )

I just do not want to throw money into an aging PC if there is no hope
of it working with DVarcive.

BEP
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:31:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 3 May 2005 06:33:31 -0700, "bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>[resend]
>
>Mark, although you are generally very helpful and have provided many
>people with the needed answers on this news group, your response:
>
>"DVA will work more smoothly on a faster computer."
>
>Is not one of your more enlightening answers. : )
>
>I just do not want to throw money into an aging PC if there is no hope
>of it working with DVarcive.
>
>BEP

Sorry for the lack of detains. I was in a hurry at that time. I
usually provide more complete answers.

While DVA will work on a slower computer (The slowest I've tried is a
Celeron at 333MHz), there will be unpredicatble delays making computer
use more difficult. DVA will unpredictably pause for 2-5 seconds. This
pause wall affect any other software on the computer too. From what
I've heard, this is not caused by the DVA code itself, but Java.

The computer I have DVA on now is a P4-2.4GHz. There is no evidence of
the problem there. You would probably find a slower computer suitable
if it's dedicated to DVA and you just leave DVA running.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:06:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 1 May 2005 20:59:05 -0700, "bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep (ie
>free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store my
>DVarchive files.
>
>Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
> 32 RAM
> Network card
> Windows 98 SE
>
>

My first DVA machine was a 96meg p166 It worked
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:59:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Thanks for the input.

I did not realize that Fat 32 was limited to 32GB. I thought the
limitation was somewhere in the range of 80 - 90 GB drives. I know I
have a 40GB setting around ( from the old Dish network dishplayer ) I
will plug that in and try and scrounge up some RAM. I am not sure what
the slot configuration is for RAM, I will pop the hood and then go on
my RAM scavager hunt.

BEP
May 3, 2005 6:01:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

My PC is fairly old, a P2-400 running Win2000, maxed out at 384MB. It
runs DVArchive adequately, if not peppy. I guess you just want to run
the server, right?

32MB will not be enough. I doubt it will even start up. Java apps are
memory pigs, and even if you have lots, it still seems to run out.
(I've had DVArchive throw a shoe complaining about memory when there
stil was 256MB free on the system, go figure. But I use the client more
than anything.)

On Windows 98, I expect it would perform a bit better, at the expense of
reliability.

What it can't do well is play streamed videos. Local mpegs are fine,
but streaming via VideoLAN has choppy sound. Only WMP+Elecard worked well.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:01:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:01:56 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My PC is fairly old, a P2-400 running Win2000, maxed out at 384MB. It
>runs DVArchive adequately, if not peppy. I guess you just want to run
>the server, right?
>

That should work fine. The problems seemsed to occur when I tried to
use the computer (running DVA) locally as well.

>32MB will not be enough. I doubt it will even start up. Java apps are
>memory pigs, and even if you have lots, it still seems to run out.
>(I've had DVArchive throw a shoe complaining about memory when there
>stil was 256MB free on the system, go figure. But I use the client more
>than anything.)
>

The system I currently use for DVA has 512MB. That seems to be working
all right. It streams fine to a Replay.

>On Windows 98, I expect it would perform a bit better, at the expense of
>reliability.
>
>What it can't do well is play streamed videos. Local mpegs are fine,
>but streaming via VideoLAN has choppy sound. Only WMP+Elecard worked well.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 3 May 2005 13:59:05 -0700, "bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the input.
>
>I did not realize that Fat 32 was limited to 32GB. I thought the
>limitation was somewhere in the range of 80 - 90 GB drives.

FAT32 actually uses 28 bits (and MS knows why). Therefore, the maximum
number of clusters is about 260,000,000. The maximum cluster size is
32KB (or 64KB eith Win NT). The maximum size of a FAT32 volume is
about 8TB (8 Terabytes, or 8192GB) or 16TB on Win NT (such as 2000).

The use of 16 bits to specify the number of Megabytes would give a
64MB limit (possibly 32GB with signed arithmetic). 32GB sounds like a
limit of that particular formatting software. I suppose the limit is
still here because MS is trying to get people to use NTFS. There is no
problem with w2k USING a larger FAT32 drive. That (32GB) is just a
limit of thier formatting software.

> I know I
>have a 40GB setting around ( from the old Dish network dishplayer ) I
>will plug that in and try and scrounge up some RAM. I am not sure what
>the slot configuration is for RAM, I will pop the hood and then go on
>my RAM scavager hunt.
>
>BEP

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:40:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 20:49:12 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
<douglas@panix.com> wrote:

>bep <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:
>: As I have mention in a previous post I have come accross a cheep (ie
>: free) Pent II computer. I would like to use this computer to store my
>: DVarchive files.
>
>: Specfics: Computer has 2GB hard driven (90% filled)
>: 32 RAM
>: Network card
>: Windows 98 SE
>
>: I am able to download shows off of the Replay unit to the computer
>: without any problems.
>
>: The Replay unit sees the DVarchive machine but it will not list the
>: show that I have downloaded.
>
>: I am willing to spend $ and add a 120GB hard
>: I am willing to spend $ and add 256 RAM.
>
>: If I make those additions will that solve the problem of the Replay
>: unit not listing the shows? Or is this just not enough of a computer
>: to work with the replay unit?
>
>My first DVA machine was a P2-300 MHz with 192 MB RAM; Win98SE. It ran
>DVA fine. You should do okay by just spending money on RAM (or finding
>some RAM which is laying around somewhere.)
>
>HOWEVER, there are certain things you should be aware of:
>
>1. Win98SE will only recognize FAT32 Partitions.

As well as, of course, the older versions of FAT, FAt12 and FAT16,

> Win98SE cannot create
>partitions greater than 32GB.

Win ME has no trouble. Since that's jsut a diffence in the FDISK
utility, maybe someone could sent you that one or you could borrow a
ME system.

Neither system has any trouble USING larger FAT32 partitions.

> Your 120 GB Hard Disk may be overkill. You
>may have to create several 32MB partitions.
>
>2. Using this machine for editing will be pointless. You can only use
>it as a server / storage.
>

Editing is very CPU-intensive and is best done on a fast machine.

>-Doug

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:10:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 21:07:15 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
<douglas@panix.com> wrote:


>My statement regarding FAT32 paritions not being larger than 32GB is not
>100 percent correct.

I don't think it is any percent "right".
I have an 80 in this machine and it is running fine. My other machine
has a 40 in it. Both are running 98 SE. It was running 95 OSR2 before
and that worked too.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:34:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> The computer I have DVA on now is a P4-2.4GHz. There is no evidence of
> the problem there. You would probably find a slower computer suitable
> if it's dedicated to DVA and you just leave DVA running.

The DVArchive documentation says that, if you plan to run it
continuously, you should use the Server version. That requires more
memory, right?

I run the regular version. It occaisonally complained at 64 MB, so I
setit to 128 MB, but I don't run it all the time.


--
Jeff

===================================================================
NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:42:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

> HOWEVER, there are certain things you should be aware of:
>
> 1. Win98SE will only recognize FAT32 Partitions. Win98SE cannot
> create partitions greater than 32GB. Your 120 GB Hard Disk may be
> overkill. You may have to create several 32MB partitions.

I have Win98SE and one of the many partitions on two separate drives is
60GB. I am running it off a SIIG ATA133 Controller card (which may be the
reason) but I don't recall any limitation other than the 132GB limit for
FAT32.


--
Jeff

===================================================================
NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:46:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2005 21:07:15 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
><douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>My statement regarding FAT32 paritions not being larger than 32GB is not
>>100 percent correct.
>
> I don't think it is any percent "right".
> I have an 80 in this machine and it is running fine. My other machine
> has a 40 in it. Both are running 98 SE. It was running 95 OSR2 before
> and that worked too.

I remember now. It's not an OS issue, it is a hardware issue for
motherboards earlier than 1995-1996. I saw this when I tried and failed to
format an 80GB drive on an older computer (running Win98SE) at work; the
drive formatted just fine on a newer machine (also running Win98SE).


--
Jeff

===================================================================
NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:51:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"bep" <bep17@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input.
>
> I did not realize that Fat 32 was limited to 32GB. I thought the
> limitation was somewhere in the range of 80 - 90 GB drives. I know I
> have a 40GB setting around ( from the old Dish network dishplayer ) I
> will plug that in and try and scrounge up some RAM. I am not sure what
> the slot configuration is for RAM, I will pop the hood and then go on
> my RAM scavager hunt.

Now that I have had my memory jogged, I remember a hardware limitation on
motherboards earlier than 1995 or 1996 (which will almost certainly apply
to your Pentium II cpu).

You can get an ATA hard disk interface card which will not only increase
allowable hard disk size but will also increase speed (be sure to set DMA).
These cards have been included for free in some retail hard drive packages
for disk sizes over 132GB. You can also buy the card separately (I use the
SIIG brand ATA133 controller).

Card prices range from $20-$40.


--
Jeff

===================================================================
NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:34:46 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> The computer I have DVA on now is a P4-2.4GHz. There is no evidence of
>> the problem there. You would probably find a slower computer suitable
>> if it's dedicated to DVA and you just leave DVA running.
>
> The DVArchive documentation says that, if you plan to run it
>continuously, you should use the Server version. That requires more
>memory, right?
>
> I run the regular version. It occaisonally complained at 64 MB, so I
>setit to 128 MB, but I don't run it all the time.

I get the schedule from DirecTV, and want to keep 2 weeks of listings
(like the Replay). This takes a lot of memory. I currently have it set
to use 192MB (for some reason it says 191MB).

I run mine continuously and don't see problems very often, although
sometimes (about every 2 weeks to 2 months), the guide can get messed
up and require resetting. This involves deleting the "DVA TV.XML" file
and re-entering the guide settings (injcluding deselecting unwanted
channels).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:14:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:46:29 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 May 2005 21:07:15 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
>><douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My statement regarding FAT32 paritions not being larger than 32GB is not
>>>100 percent correct.
>>
>> I don't think it is any percent "right".
>> I have an 80 in this machine and it is running fine. My other machine
>> has a 40 in it. Both are running 98 SE. It was running 95 OSR2 before
>> and that worked too.
>
> I remember now. It's not an OS issue, it is a hardware issue for
>motherboards earlier than 1995-1996. I saw this when I tried and failed to
>format an 80GB drive on an older computer (running Win98SE) at work; the
>drive formatted just fine on a newer machine (also running Win98SE).

There ae TWO different limitations here, and people are getting them
mixed up.

#1 is a hardware limitation. Older systems were often limited to 32GB
because the interface to ATA drives supportes just 26 bits for sector
addressing. Since a hard disk sector holds 512 bytes, this limited the
disk size to 32GB. This problem is likely to keep the computer from
booting. To get arould this, some drives (including my first >32GB
drive) could be limited to 32GB than you use "drive overlay software".
You could also use a add-on ATA interface card.

#2 is a software limitation. Some software (particularly HD
partitioning utilities) could not handle more than 64GB because of the
use of 16 bit values to indicate home many megabytes the disk held
(2^16=65536, 65536MB=64GB). Some versions of FDISK (including the one
in Windows ME) would handle larger partitions, but would just not
display right. Usually, this limitation applies to partitioning (and
maybe to high-level formatting) only and will not stop you from USING
a larger disk. Note that in a particular program, this limit may be
32GB because of the use of signed arithmetic.

An add-on card will help with #1 but will have no effect on #2. A
formatting program may halp with #2 but will have no effect on #1.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

General Kireiko wrote:
> 1. Win98SE will only recognize FAT32 Partitions. Win98SE cannot create
> partitions greater than 32GB. Your 120 GB Hard Disk may be overkill. You
> may have to create several 32MB partitions.

Interesting, espically since I'm using a IBM Thinkpad, 366Mhz P2, Win-98
SE and a SIXTY GIG hard drive, the drive was originally partitioned into
one 59.xx Gig Partition by Win-98se (the rest being used by hidden
system stuff, IE: Boot sector) but was re-partationed by Acronis True
Image into 40 and 20 Gig sections, Win-98 has no issues with this.

On another computer it partationed a drive to 80 Gigs (all it had) again
without issues... Till other issues caused them to blow away my win-98
(Without cause) and "upgrade" to eXtra Painful (xp) which also has no
problems

In addition I have some external drives 80, 120 and 160 Gig, again
Win-98se has no problems with any of these drives, it actually
partationed and formatted the 120 Gig drive.
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:57:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Bep,,, I don't know what the limit is, I have fat-32 drives from 20 to
160 Gig and all play nice with win-98se

bep wrote:
> Thanks for the input.
>
> I did not realize that Fat 32 was limited to 32GB. I thought the
> limitation was somewhere in the range of 80 - 90 GB drives. I know I
> have a 40GB setting around ( from the old Dish network dishplayer ) I
> will plug that in and try and scrounge up some RAM. I am not sure what
> the slot configuration is for RAM, I will pop the hood and then go on
> my RAM scavager hunt.
>
> BEP
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:01:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Figured it out.....

General Kireiko wrote:
> My statement regarding FAT32 paritions not being larger than 32GB is not
> 100 percent correct. The 32GB limit is a Microsoft legacy issue. The
> disk tools supplied with Win9x are still based on 16-bit DOS, so they can
> only create partions up to 32GB. There are thrid party tools available
> which will create FAT32 partitions greater than 32 GB which can also be read
> by Win98. I do not personally know of any.

Win-98se has two options during F-Disk partationing of the disk

Enable large disk support Yes/No

NO- You got limits. YES, Well,,, I have yet to find the limits and
I've partationed and formatted disks up to 160 Gig (That is a single
partation of 159.xx Gigs plus a bit for the drive's boot sector)

I'm sure that there is a limit,,, But I have yet to see it, Adcom shipps
drives of 200 Gig, formatted Fat32, one partation. I have installed a
brand new 120 Gig drive in an external shell and using win-98se
partation and formatted it 120 Gig, I have yet to try larger drives but
if I do I'm very sure it will work.
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:01:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 04 May 2005 20:01:35 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Figured it out.....
>
>General Kireiko wrote:
>> My statement regarding FAT32 paritions not being larger than 32GB is not
>> 100 percent correct. The 32GB limit is a Microsoft legacy issue. The
>> disk tools supplied with Win9x are still based on 16-bit DOS, so they can
>> only create partions up to 32GB. There are thrid party tools available
>> which will create FAT32 partitions greater than 32 GB which can also be read
>> by Win98. I do not personally know of any.
>
>Win-98se has two options during F-Disk partationing of the disk
>
>Enable large disk support Yes/No
>
>NO- You got limits. YES, Well,,, I have yet to find the limits and
>I've partationed and formatted disks up to 160 Gig (That is a single
>partation of 159.xx Gigs plus a bit for the drive's boot sector)
>

I have used FDISK to partition several 40GB-120GB drives as well as
one 250GB.

>I'm sure that there is a limit,,,

It's probably 2TB (2048GB), the largest drive that Windows can handle
(the limit for 32-bit sector pointers).

> But I have yet to see it, Adcom shipps
>drives of 200 Gig, formatted Fat32, one partation. I have installed a
>brand new 120 Gig drive in an external shell and using win-98se
>partation and formatted it 120 Gig, I have yet to try larger drives but
>if I do I'm very sure it will work.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
!