Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7750 slower than geforce 8800GT ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2013 11:16:53 AM

Hi all,

Minecraft runs far more slowly on my new Radeon 7750 passive than a geforce 8800GT; can this be true, even though 5 or 6 years seperate them?

I got constant 75fps on the 8800GT with vsync on, and now with the same settings on the 7750 get 30fps.

Thanks for any input.

Will
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 11:46:28 AM

try changing graphics settings?
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 1:39:31 PM

Check the clocks on the 7750 when minecraft is running, there have been quite alot of threads where the new 7000 series cards stay on their idle/2d clocks in minecraft. The drivers dont seem to recognize minecraft as a proper game.. :p 
You could use gpu-z to monitor the card
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Related resources
February 7, 2013 3:59:28 PM

Kari said:
Check the clocks on the 7750 when minecraft is running, there have been quite alot of threads where the new 7000 series cards stay on their idle/2d clocks in minecraft. The drivers dont seem to recognize minecraft as a proper game.. :p 
You could use gpu-z to monitor the card
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Thank you, will check tonight and get back with the result.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 4:03:41 PM

Even though the 7750 is a low end card, it should still be a little better than a 8800gt
February 8, 2013 7:06:59 AM

Thought I'd let everybody know, as I'm sure there will be other people interested: Unfortunately they will be dissapointed.

In the end it was probably one of these things:

•Smooth FPS seems to cause big slowdown (Minecraft Optifine setting)

•Smooth world also does (Minecraft Optifine setting)

•Possibly a reinstall without mcpatcher, which may have been conflicting with optifine, when running HD textures.

FYI, interestingly when in full screen the GPU shows 25% activity (even in the prior situation with poor fps), and about 50% cpu activity, so there don't seem to be bottlenecks.

Also, advanced opengl seems to drop the fps.

FYI, I now run render distance far with Vsync on at 75fps and hd textures.
!