Buzzing noise when GPU is active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluon

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hey all,

I purchased a Sapphire 7870 XT card the other day as my old 4890 had trouble keeping up:) After installing it with the latest Catalyst drivers, I noticed a very annoying and rather loud buzzing/static noise whenever I'm playing games or doing something that requires 3d rendering. The problem mainly persists during 3d games and not so much with 2d games. It is also slightly noticeable when using programs like firefox and moving the mouse.

I have absolutely no idea what causes this disturbing noise as my previous setup with the 4890 didnt cause this noise. As I'm using an integrated soundcard, I suspect it might have something to do with that? I've tried pretty much everything, from flashing the bios, installing the latest drivers and even installing a new windows copy. Nothing seems to help. Couldnt find any other threads dealing with this problem either.

My rig currently looks like this:

MSI Z77A-G43
Intel i5-3450
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT
8GB RAM
Samsung 830 SSD
Cooler Master Real Power 620W

You are more then likely experiencing coil whine. At least that it what what you describe sound like. I'll provide a embedded video to illustrate this for you.

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/8mMm26F6t3I?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]

Gluon

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

The noise is somewhat similar to the coil whine vid you posted but I only hear it through my headphones. The physical card itself doesnt make any sound when I play games, its just the headphones/speakers. Would that still be related to coil whine?

Kari

Splendid

that would be some sort of interference then, not coil whine... make sure the card is seated properly and power connectors are also firmly in place. Also rearranging the wires inside the case might help some, namely the front audio.. thou if you get the same interference from speakers plugged in at the back then it is likely interfering on the audio circuit on the mobo and moving the wires wont help. Check the grounding on the case, tighten the screws holding the psu in place since the case should get grounded via the psu.

If nothing helps (incl. psu swap^^) the card migh be faulty somehow and causing the excess interference...

edit also a dedicated sound card might still work, if you have some old card laying around you could test it.

Gluon

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks Kari & Swifty,

I currently dont have an extra PSU at hand so I wont be able to try that out. Everything seems to be safely secured but, admittedly, the cable management could probably use some work. The cables arent tangled however. I might grab a dedicated soundcard tomorrow and see how that works out. If the problem still persists I might have to RMA the card I suppose.

I personally think its the card, as my previous one didnt give me any problems while the other components were exactly the same.

b4b0Fk4

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Did you solve this problem? Becouse I am just having completely the same. Nothing helps. Dont have a PSU to swap but I think its something with the graphics. I upgraded my PC 2 months ago.. first GPU and then CPU with MB and PSU.... in that time it started... annoying buzzing... very strong when I play games... barely noticable if I watch youtube or move the mouse.... but it is still there... only if I leave my mouse still and no game running the buzzing stops... the buzzing can be heard even if the game is running in background... and its really strong... getting annoying and my head starts to hurt...

Cant find any solution and Im getting despered now. Odd is that it doesnt change intensity when I change volume. I can sompletely put the volume down and the buzzing will be there In the same strength. PLEASE HELP MEEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.