Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte 7870 with old Asus p5nsli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 7, 2013 12:39:26 PM

Hello,
Just put the above card in the motherboard having concluded that the previous graphics card (nvidia 8800gtx) had given up.

However I just get the one long three short beeps on power up which indicate a video issue. No image at all. The old card allowed the computer to boot up but showed no image- this one doesn't even get that far . Ideas?

Is it possible the motherboard's too old/ not compatible?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 1:52:09 PM

The hd7870 will be compatible on that motherboard but you should be also concerned about things like adequate power supply and space in the cabinet.
Have you tried resetting the bios first?
February 7, 2013 2:05:31 PM

Xttony said:
The hd7870 will be compatible on that motherboard but you should be also concerned about things like adequate power supply and space in the cabinet.
Have you tried resetting the bios first?


I think the psu (550w) is up to the job and surely if it were that the computer would at least boot up?

Plenty of space, cooling etc, its a decent case and the card is no bigger than the previous one.

I have removed the motherboard battery, waited and then replaced it. Can I do any more to the bios?

I'm concerned that maybe it is the mobo not working with any graphics card...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 2:10:53 PM

550watts is enough.
Since all the other components are firing up then there must be a problem with the bios also the error code says a similar story. At this point you cannot do anything more in the bios.
Although it is not a ram issue, install only one ram card at slot 2 and try to boot up the system.
February 7, 2013 2:19:16 PM

Xttony said:
550watts is enough.
Since all the other components are firing up then there must be a problem with the bios also the error code says a similar story. At this point you cannot do anything more in the bios.
Although it is not a ram issue, install only one ram card at slot 2 and try to boot up the system.


I have just tried that but same error code. I get the one long three short beeps. I don't get the usual single beep that I get when it works properly.

Fans are on on the graphics card so it's drawing power.

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 2:36:24 PM

Can't you borrow a card from someone just to test it in your system before buying the 7870?
February 7, 2013 2:45:37 PM

Xttony said:
Can't you borrow a card from someone just to test it in your system before buying the 7870?


Well I'm upgrading slowly anyway so the card can be used whatever. However the computer had been working fine until the old graphics card, I thought, had failed. Maybe it wasn't the card but the motherboard.

I will have to try the OLD graphics card in another computer.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 2:52:57 PM

Yeah you can do that too. Check the cable too.
!