Win 7 over xp help

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I am trying to load win7 on my computer that has winxp now. it gets to about 30% and kicks it out for an error for a corrupt or missing file. someone told me that since i have a SATA/RAID hard drive that win7 cant format it right. I just want to get it on there.. somebody please tell me how to load 7 on my computer. email me if anyone needs too my email is scgilbert2@comcast.net

thanks

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
kawininjazx
I am comfortable recommending AHCI check because he was already running windows XP sucessfully. Ruling out a hardware error for the most part.

scgilbert2
Can you tell me about your computers' make and model so I can tell you the proper steps to switch AHCI?

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Its a custom built gaming type computer, its a coolmaster HAF case
dual core amd 3.2GHZ processor
500gb hard drive
4.0 g of ram
geforce 9600GT graphics card (which has its own issues but i asked that in graphics card thread)
its running Win XP 32bit
it has a Asus P5N-(cant remember rest off memory) motherboard

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

yes booting computer up from win 7 disk

i have a friend that told me he had the same issue and something to do with win 7 wasnt reading a type of driver or something.. it had to do with the SATA drive and the fact it was RAID or something.. he was trying to tell me to go in and pull this driver off the disk and save it to a floppy and all this.. but figure there is an explanation someplace for it...

Try this.
.. Set Bios to AHCI.
.. Boot to win 7 installation screen, Select Custom" install.
.. On page that displays the HDD and partitions, go to advanced and DELETE all partitions.
.. Now select the unpartitioned are and tell windows to install (NOTE: IF you want to partition the drive so that windows and programs are in your "C" drive, then selecte the unpartitioned area and create a partition of around 200 -> 300 Gigs - Then select this partition to install windows 7 to.

Added. if with bios set to ahci, windows does not allow you to delete partion - Exit, set bios to Raid, re insert Win 7 disk then delete partitions (as above). When partitiones are deleted then exit install, reset bios to ahci and try what I explainded above.

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Ok, the motherboard is a P5N-E SLI 600 series motherboard and does not support the AHCI. whats the new game plan?

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
my Motherboard is a P5N-E SLI 600 series from Asus. it doesnt support the AHCI. What is my next move to get Win7 On my system. I have no problem wiping the hard drive if need be but i just want to make sure i am doing all this right.. any ideas here.. its very frustrating...

Thanks

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

You can't run RAID with only one drive. If you have the RAID setting turned on in BIOS then turn it off. This might mean setting your SATA ports to run in IDE mode, but it should make your drive show up when you boot to the Windows 7 installation disc.

The storage setting options I have seen in BIOS can vary. Some switch between AHCI and IDE (or AHCI and "Legacy"), others switch between RAID and IDE, and others give you all 3 options. What options do you have in your BIOS?

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Im not sure what the options are, as i stated in an earlier post, my motherboard does not support AHCI so thats not an option there. and I dont know anything about RAID anyway just something a friend said might have to do with it. The win 7 CD is fine... its not an issue.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
That's right, I forgot you were erroring out 30% of the way through the installation.

Have you tried reformatting the hard drive? In other words, when you attempt to install Windows 7, are you just clicking through with the default options or have you gone in and changed more options?

If you are not sure, then can you walk me through, step by step, what you do (each specific option you select) and what happens when you try to install Windows 7?

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Well sure, I have tried it with the system up (xp) and i have tried booting from the disk, i just start installatino, click on custom, then click on partition ( the one formatted) then click install or start or whatever it says ( IM at work so trying to tell you off memory) it starts dnloading win files, gets to about 30% then i get the error.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Ok. That information helps.

I can't remember every screen on the Windows 7 installation so bear with me and my lack of details. Try the following:

1) I want to make sure your BIOS settings are correct. Go into your BIOS (I think I have the same model MB, and if I remember correctly the Delete key is what gets you there) and check your storage/SATA settings. It has been a while since I looked at my BIOS settings so I don't remember where they are exactly. I'm also unable to check right now, but I will this evening and let you know what I find. If you can find the setting then make sure it is set to IDE mode, not RAID. I don't think this is a problem right now for you as you are able to see the drive correctly, but it is always good to be sure.

2) Exit BIOS and boot to the Install disk. I think the first screen is the language settings screen. Click next.

3) I believe the next screen gives you the option to "Install Now" or Repair. Select Install Now.

4) Next screen might be the product key screen followed by the License Agreement. Pretty self-explanatory.

5) After that I think is the "Upgrade" or Custom Install Windows Only" screen. Select Custom: Install Windows Only. (NOTE: as it says on the screen, this will wipe out all your files and settings.)

6) Now you should have a view of your drives/partitions. Since you only have one Drive then you will likely see Drive 0 Partition 1 and possibly Drive 0 Partition 2 as well. Your options should be Refresh, Load Driver, Drive options (advanced), and the Next button. This is the screen I am really wanting you to get to. Click Drive Options (advanced). You should see your options change to Delete, Format, New, and Extend. New and Extend will probably be greyed out. Select one of the partitions and click Delete. Click OK through any warnings then do the same for the other partition(s). You should end up with just a single entry on the list that reads something like "Drive 0 Unallocated space". That should be selected by default, and you should just be able to click "Next" at this point. You should see a couple messages pop up. Windows will automatically set aside the minimum amount of space it needs for a "System Reserved" partition and format the remainder of the drive for installing Windows. This will give you the largest C: drive you can have.

Give that a try and let me know what happens. If it locks up at 30% without any error messages then try leaving it overnight to be 100% sure that it isn't budging anymore. This will also give it plenty of time to display an error message (if it is going to). If it gives you an error at any point during the process then record the error and post it here. That should help me (and anyone else who ends up popping in here to help out) identify what might be the cause of your problem.

scgilbert2

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Ok i will try that for sure. my first post i enclosed my email as well please dont hesitate to email me if you think of anything else.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Ok, I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI (not sure if there is a difference with yours having the 600 but the BIOS should be the same). Here is the setting to check:

Press Delete after powering on your PC to enter BIOS.
Press the right arrow to get to the Advanced tab.
Press the down arrow to get to Onboard Devices and press Enter.
Down arrow again to NVRAID and press Enter.
Make sure the first option says "Disabled". If not then change it to disabled and press F10 to "Exit saving changes".
Then proceed with the Windows installation per my previous instructions.