Sign in with
Your question

Need help with choosing a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2013 2:04:23 PM

I decided to make the jump from console gaming to pc gaming. I was almost about to over spend on an alienware aurora until I got introduced to building my own. Granted I am a complete noob when it comes to computers however after spending hours researching I know pretty much what parts I am going to buy, plus I have a friend who will help put it together. Now here comes the biggest headache of them all..... Choosing a graphics card. My budge it $600.00 and I know I want a NVIDIA card. My problem is which one. Right now I will only be using one monitor (1080p), however would eventually within a years time have 2. Types of games I will be playing is BF3 Arma2 (eventually Battlefield 4 and arma 3), fallout and skyrim type games. mostly FPS and RPGs. I keep going back and forth with the 670 and 680 and all I know is that I want the 4gb versions. Right now I am not interested in overclocking mostly due to my inexperience with PCs, plus I heard it voids the warranty. I want to be able to get at least 2 years of playing the games and their eventual sequels mentioned above on high-ultra setting without any issues at all. I will be using i5 3570k processor with a ASUS sabertooth z77 motherboard. What card without having to overclocking myself would you recommend and why. I figure by end of 2014/beginning of 2015 I will upgrade my card. Should I go sli or is that over kill for one monitor. Please help

Oh and before you say 670 or 680 please state which kind and why. There are different brands (EVGA, MSI, ASUS, etc.). And different types (classified, FTW, SC, et).

Thanks

More about : choosing graphics card

a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 2:14:27 PM

Since you are not much of a overclocked I'd say get the 680. Although an overclocked 670 would have been a better option. A 680 should be able to handle all games for two years at 40+ fps. There is no need for you to buy a 4GB card, in two years a few games will be able to use up more than 2GB vram so it is entirely a waste of money.
Note amd card's are just around the corner and you might wanna wait till they are released.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:20:48 PM

I realize that. I realize that NVIDIA is coming out with the 700 and 800 series, however here is my issue.

1. I don't want to be that guy who waits for the best thing to come out and before you know it a year passes and you still have nothing.

2. With any new technology that comes out there is always a higher risk of issues that need addressing and kinks to be worked out.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2013 2:23:16 PM

JSeville12 said:
I decided to make the jump from console gaming to pc gaming. I was almost about to over spend on an alienware aurora until I got introduced to building my own. Granted I am a complete noob when it comes to computers however after spending hours researching I know pretty much what parts I am going to buy, plus I have a friend who will help put it together. Now here comes the biggest headache of them all..... Choosing a graphics card. My budge it $600.00 and I know I want a NVIDIA card. My problem is which one. Right now I will only be using one monitor (1080p), however would eventually within a years time have 2. Types of games I will be playing is BF3 Arma2 (eventually Battlefield 4 and arma 3), fallout and skyrim type games. mostly FPS and RPGs. I keep going back and forth with the 670 and 680 and all I know is that I want the 4gb versions. Right now I am not interested in overclocking mostly due to my inexperience with PCs, plus I heard it voids the warranty. I want to be able to get at least 2 years of playing the games and their eventual sequels mentioned above on high-ultra setting without any issues at all. I will be using i5 3570k processor with a ASUS sabertooth z77 motherboard. What card without having to overclocking myself would you recommend and why. I figure by end of 2014/beginning of 2015 I will upgrade my card. Should I go sli or is that over kill for one monitor. Please help

Oh and before you say 670 or 680 please state which kind and why. There are different brands (EVGA, MSI, ASUS, etc.). And different types (classified, FTW, SC, et).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 2:34:47 PM

JSeville12 said:
I realize that. I realize that NVIDIA is coming out with the 700 and 800 series, however here is my issue.

1. I don't want to be that guy who waits for the best thing to come out and before you know it a year passes and you still have nothing.

2. With any new technology that comes out there is always a higher risk of issues that need addressing and kinks to be worked out.

1. Yes that is true, if we wait for something better to arrive then the waiting will last forever. But I'm pretty sure you can wait till march for the AMD 8000 series card.

2. There is a slight chance of unknown issues poping up but that's the risk you have to take if you want a better gpu unit.

3. Different brands use the same gpu unit so it is the cooler which makes the difference. So find the cheapest card you can get with decent cooling capability.
All different types of cards are just overclocked or over voted cards which you can do yourself.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:43:32 PM

Quote:
There is no need for you to buy a 4GB card, in two years a few games will be able to use up more than 2GB vram so it is entirely a waste of money.

If you said this two years ago it would have been true. It is not true. There are already a few games that use more then 2gb.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:48:58 PM

Xttony said:
1. Yes that is true, if we wait for something better to arrive then the waiting will last forever. But I'm pretty sure you can wait till march for the AMD 8000 series card.

2. There is a slight chance of unknown issues poping up but that's the risk you have to take if you want a better gpu unit.

3. Different brands use the same gpu unit so it is the cooler which makes the difference. So find the cheapest card you can get with decent cooling capability.
All different types of cards are just overclocked or over voted cards which you can do yourself.

Not interested in a AMD card and games like skyrim with all the mods are close to pushing over 3gb
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 2:55:12 PM

Yes I know that but you won't see any significant difference on a card with 4gb VRAM.
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:01:04 PM

JSeville12 said:
Not interested in a AMD card and games like skyrim with all the mods are close to pushing over 3gb

Absolutely. And believe me with all mods you can push it up to 3.5 GBs. And thats only at 1080p. I can say I love my cards. I have 2 now but I can tell you a single one is amazing. I have 2 MSI N680GTX 4DG5/OC Twin Frozr. They are fantastic cards. 10660 score on 3d Mark out of the box (single card). Handles ALL games very well. And it does it quietly and cool.
m
l
!