Is it worth the upgrade?

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello guys,

I would appreciate some help in deciding whether or not it is wise for me to upgrade my GPU.

I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 2gb GDDR3 card which I installed only a couple of weeks ago.

I have since kinda regretted not pushing the boat out that bit further and getting the Radeon HD 7750 1gb GDDR5

Indeed my regret is so deep, I'm contemplating putting my 6670 on eBay and purchasing the 7750.

But i would like to know if there would be a noticeable difference due to my CPU being the weak link in my system.

Just to note, i have 4gb RAM 800mhz and a 550watt PSU

My CPU is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ - Am i right in thinking this is creating a bottleneck that would stifle the 7750 so much as to not be worth my while or could i indeed see a noticeable difference in frame rate etc on titles like Crysis 2 and Farcry 3?

I would be grateful for any help in this matter.

Thank you for your time.

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Thought so, Thanks for the confirmation.

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
BTW is there any websites i could view a side by side comparison of my CPU vs AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core 2.2 GHz AM2 as I have been told this CPU will fit my motherboard and would like to know if the difference is going to be enough to release the stranglehold on my GPU

Thank you kindly.

MC_K7

Distinguished

The first generation of Phenom was plagued with problems and especially the fact that it's 65nm they couldn't push the speed very much, for instance that 9550 is limited to 2.2Ghz only so it's going to be a big bottleneck too.

If I were you I would look for something like a Phenom-II X4 940 (3.0Ghz) instead. It should be compatible (both are AM2+ socket). They corrected a lot of problems with the Phenom-II it's better optimized and especially the fact that it's 45nm allows higher speed in this case 3.0Ghz.

But note that the games you're playing are very demanding (Crysis 2 and Farcry 3) so if you can save some money you could plan to change the whole machine in a year or two. But in the meantime going to a Phenom-II and Radeon 7850 would allow you to enjoy much better FPS (depending what's your screen resolution, you didn't mention). Note that you probably can't find a Phenom-II for brand new anymore, but check on Amazon or ebay for second hand or refurb.

Just seems like it would more worth the money to either go for a budget piledriver setup or a high i3 low i5 setup. His system is aging it seems like it would be a poor value to get a new CPU and a new motherboard and not get something current.

MC_K7

Distinguished

New motherboard isn't mandatory for him since some Phenom-II are AM2+ and some others are AM3. So he would have to get an AM2 version (like the 940 I mentioned) and only have to replace the CPU. Since they don't make these CPU anymore (AM2+ versions) he would have to get it from second hand or refurbished which means he would save even more money (probably cost less than 100$).

SmorlFox: Make sure you flash the BIOS to latest version before upgrading a CPU if you decide to go this path.

But I agree with bigshootr8 that you get to the point where you'll need a new machine eventually. Especially for the games you're playing like Crysis 2 and Farcry 3. So if you can SmorlFox start saving money for a new machine. If you're on a budget a FX-6300 or i3-2100 make very great budget gaming platforms. And if you can afford it, an i5-2500K or i5-3570K are even better of course.

@MC Yea that was all I was trying to convey that depending on what you are willing to put into your machine it makes less and less sense to put money into legacy hardware. Also, I've looked at your portrait before what is that from it looks like something that belongs in the nazi blowing up scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Wow guys thank you so much, plenty of food for thought there!

I'm thinking the Phenom-II would be a good upgrade since this will deffo be the last thing i do to my machine and at under $100 for a reconditioned one its just about all i'd want to spend!

Hes hoping i can find one here in the UK.

This forum rocks!

Cheers!

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Not sure if I really want to roll my sleeves up and start ripping my tower to bits what with me being a novice at this sort of thing.

Think i'll keep an eye on the mobo, CPU, RAM combo and so long as the price doesn't climb up too much, i'll think about it.

Otherwise i'll just find the CPU stand alone and pop it in once i've flashed the BIOS? Doesn't sound too hard, right? Gulp!

Looks like you have a micro atx motherboard form factor in your case so you will need one of those. They are cheaper so it should be noted its not a doom gloom scenario.
8054529_5.jpg

Flashing your bios is almost as easy as installing google chrome or firefox or w.e browser you are using. Normally you boot up with a disc/flash drive and prioritize it to boot from that device and it'll do its thing. You got this! If you made it here you can do it I think maybe I'm thinking in the clouds there.

Jadewarrior

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
i have asus hd 5870 and i still get between 41- 63 fps on bf3 and i brought that 2009 it is now 2013 and these cards are only little above that, lol unless you have really old card dont buy into the bullshit and spend big $$ for minimal change if you play online games use money on better internet connection

Jadewarrior

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
BF3 demanding ?? lol like I said my asus 5870 1 gb still runs that game on high 1920/ 1080 with ease not even OC

really can you justify spending $$$ for small gain you get from upgrading to play ultra, no way is it worth it, even now the GTX670/680 are only 3 tiers above 5870 and if your talking bf3 even less

tech is just like car industry try to feed you *** on newest and best, to upgrade when in reality there is no real justification or need to do that , lots of $$ for tiny gain normally unnoticed .( talking gaming here )

A 5870 would be a backwards move with current gen games and future gen games. And I agree maybe he has his own agenda by promoting what he is. Either way I think the poster now has a general idea of what would benefit him the most.

Jadewarrior

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
ye sorry guys guilty on all accounts , Bigmack70 I fall into category C by your standards, Smorlfox do you have a budget ? and a

preference to what sort of board you want and how future proof are you looking for your set up ?im in process of upgrading I will be quite happy to pass on my system if you want

asus hd 5870

maximus formular 111

intel 17- 860 perfect working order $400 for the lot plus postage ( I live in china + $50)

can run any game to date on high with ease with option to overclock if you wish

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Well, thanks for all your input guys.

My mind is settling on the idea of upgrading CPU only to the Phenom-II.

Perhaps this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-940-3-GHz-Quad-Core-HDZ940XCJ4DGI-Processor-/321066851154?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item4ac1135b52

Hopefully this will suffice for my needs.

Of course theres a very good chance I'll be back to pester you all some more when the time comes to upgrad my BIOS, and god only knows what other hurdles come my way, but at least now I know where to come for some excellent advice.

Thank you once again.

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

This is so true, i think i'm catching the bug!

Just purchased the Phenom I linked above...

So now I will have to look into flashing my BIOS?

Wish me luck.

TRENDING THREADS