Sign in with
Your question

New video card (HD 7750) and a black screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2013 6:34:40 PM

Just got the following card from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

and here is my comp:

http://www.bestbuy.ca//en-CA/product/asus-asus-essentio...

I installed the card, booted up my comp, and saw zero output to the monitor. Tried again, rebooted, nothing.

I took out the card, and my comp is running fine on my integrated gfx. The card fan works, but I'm getting no output at all.
I noticed that my PSU is 12A at +12V... could this be a problem?

Thx for any help
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 7:05:30 PM

7750 doesn't even external power, it should be fine. I got one in my Dell. Does your bios have an option to disable intergrated graphics?
m
l
February 7, 2013 7:20:53 PM

Yes it does have that option, but I can't even see the start-up screen when I boot after installing the new card
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 7:30:20 PM

does the onboard video work with the card in, boot with monitor connected to onboard, switch option, reboot, plug into video card.
m
l
February 7, 2013 7:37:21 PM

getochkn said:
does the onboard video work with the card in, boot with monitor connected to onboard, switch option, reboot, plug into video card.

The onboard doesn't work with the card in :( 

m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 7:53:49 PM

So take out the card. Switch to PCI-E in the bios. Plug in the card boot up and see if you get a display. The card may have a minimum labeled requirement for power however often times you don't need that amount its there for people with CPU's and other components that take a lot of power up.
m
l
February 7, 2013 7:57:16 PM

Tried that, no luck.

Next thing I tried: went into BIOS and set primary as IGFX, then installed drivers, rebooted and set PCI as primary. Black screened.

Guess I'm going to have to return it
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 8:00:19 PM

That is a bummer.... I would suspect maybe the power supply then however a 7750 only draws power from the slot it doesn't need extra auxiliary power hmm! Are you still going to try and find a card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 8:06:25 PM

what output are you using on the card and any convertors to the monitor?
m
l
February 7, 2013 8:08:55 PM

Using the DVI output and the DVI/VGA converter to the monitor.

My comp is a rather cheap (but new... only a few weeks old) ASUS with a very cheap chinese PSU... could this be the culprit? Would be nice to know when I gather my calm, haha
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 9:01:50 PM

Very well could be its hard to say if the wattage advertised is continuous or peaked.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 9:28:38 PM

well it could be a DOA card as well!!!
Just cause the fans spin doesn't mean anything...
Have you got a friend nearby that can lend you a low power card for a quick test?
Other then that I would try the card out on another comp to see if it works in there..
Else just send it back...
m
l
!