Sign in with
Your question

GTX 690: Which cords to use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2013 9:41:54 PM

Background: I'm putting my computer together now--this is my first homebuild btw--and I'm using an EVGA GTX 690 video card and an Azza Dynamo 850w power supply.

The GTX 690 came with 2 red power adapter cords. These have 8 pins at one end and split into two groups of six pins outlets at the other. (Looks like this: http://www.zotacusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/i... ).

The GTX also has two pair of 8-pin outlets.

My power supply comes with 4 sets of 6 pin inputs two of which are labeled "PCI express" and two of which are labeled "SLI Ready"

The ones which are labeled "SLI Ready" have 2 pins that can attach to them and thus convert them into 8-pin inputs.

So my question is: should I connect the red cords to the GTX 690 and then connect all four of the 6 pin inputs to the red cords? Or should I skip them entirely and just connect the SLI-Ready pins to the card? Thanks.

More about : gtx 690 cords

a c 81 Î Nvidia
February 7, 2013 10:09:18 PM

Quote:
The ones which are labeled "SLI Ready" have 2 pins that can attach to them and thus convert them into 8-pin inputs.

These are what go into the 8 pin slots. The 2 extra pins are attached to the 6 pin part, and inserted into the card.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2013 10:25:35 PM

^+1 I would think they would give you an adapter in case your power supply doesn't come with 6+2 cables But yes you need to use the 6+2 cable.
m
l
!