How do I configure 10.x.x.x on WRVS4400N?

dapark

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi -

My WRVS4400N rebooted itself and went back to default settings; it was set for a 10.x.x.x network, and is now back to 192.x.x.x network. How do I configure it back to the 10.x.x.x network?

(My IT expert is deployed in Afganistan)

Park

RealBeast

Titan
You will need to go into the router and change the router gateway address back to 10.x.x.1, and set the DHCP assignment range to 10.x.x.2 to 10.x.x.y where y is less than or equal to 254, depending on if you have static addresses assigned that are above the DHCP assignment range.

To get into the router configuration pages use the default address of 192.168.1.1 in your browser and admin/admin for ID and password.

dapark

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Realbeast - thanks much for your response.
- I'm a comcast customer, and as such, the WAN settings are (supposed to be) specified, with a static IP.
- Currently, I can connect when it's set to DHCP, but not when I set to static IP.
- I used to be able to login to the WRVS4400N by entering the specified IP 10.9.8.1
- WRVS4400N now accepts login from 192.168.1.1, per your previous post
- still not sure how to set router up with static IP, and get router IP to show as 10.9.8.1

RealBeast

Titan
Your router will automatically obtain a WAN address from your ISP (Internet service provider), so all you need to worry about is configuring your internal network. Those are two separate issues. Very few ISPs will give consumer users a static IP address, although if yours does you can enter it into the router configuration instead of allowing the router to obtain an address from the ISP.

I rarely use static IP addresses for my internal network (although I do often used reserved DHCP addresses for printers/TVs/BluRay players, etc.), and the only thing that you need to do is to go into the router configuration page (type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and use admin/admin as the user ID and password), then go to the router basic information section and enter the router gateway address that you want to use -- consult your router manual to see illustrated pages to locate the specific page where you enter that information. Also make sure that DHCP is enabled and set the range as I described above: from 10.9.8.2 to 10.9.8.254. Then all you have to do is insure that your computer is configured to obtain an address from your router gateway.

dapark

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Realbeast:

So this is the first time I've requested help from a forum like this, and I would like to say that I've put your advice into play, and have my network now on a 10 dot network. I appreciate your help very much, and appreciate Tom's Hardware for having a forum like this to reach out to. Thanks everyone for your help. This is an example of people helping people simply because of being good human beings, without seeking anything in return. Where faith in human dignity is in question, here's a place where it exists.

Grateful