[Help] - Power outtage earlier, computer not talking to monitor.

Jpeppa

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hey all,

So I left for work this morning with my computer set to sleep. When I came home it was off, I turned it on and the monitor displayed a blinking underscore for a few seconds. After that, the screen went blank.

I tried power cycling it, turning the computer back on and now there is no communication between the monitor and the computer. There was power to my mouse and keyboard the first time powering up (the mouse has lights) but now there is no power to the mouse. Keyboard still has power.

I have tried moving the display adapter and nothing, unplugged everything except the monitor adapter and still nothing. The monitor itself still has power and will display the Asus startup screen, but after that, goes blank... I hear the computer booting as if everything is normal, no unusual sounds.

I'm not quite sure what it could be, any help would be appreciated.

If you need more information, please let me know... thanks!

Jpeppa

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Well, that is an X58 board so no onboard video either.

Please remove and reinstall the memory.

Make sure it is the right slots as X58 did not even post with memory in the wrong slots(or at least mine did not.).

A bios reset never hurts.

By see the ASUS logo, is that the screen(asus screen?) or the boards post?

Jpeppa

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I've removed and re-installed the memory, tried that with 2 sets of sticks and still nothing.

No post beeps either. I want to say it's a mobo issue because the second time I powered it on, the mouse stopped getting power... I have yet to try another mouse though.

For the hell of it, Disconnect EVERYTHING remove ALL cards and try a full reassembly(I do not think you need to remove the cpu or cooler, but everything else).

Try the most simple boot you can with all non needed things removed(HDD/ODD/USB devices, just leave the keyboard). The goal is to see if it will post at least.

This is a guide to post related issues. All very basic, but may be worth a quick check.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

If all fails, You may have to test each part on a known good system. So it may be time to call in some favors with friends :)