Graphics card and System compatibility

Hello people ,

Right so first off i am new to this forum and english is not my native language so please
excuse the typo's.

Below are my current system specs :

Cpu : fx 6100 ( 3.8 Mhz at the moment )
Mobo : Sabertooth 990fx
Memory : 8Gb 1600 ( i believe its Gskill )
Psu : Ocz600mxsp
Gpu : HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5

Additional info :

Cpu cooler : SpinQ VT
Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster P2250

I am currently saving up to purchase a new graphics card and will probably be able to afford
it somewhere mid march.

i dont have alot of money actually saving up is hard enough already so i cannot afford anything
additional like a new Cpu or something though even if i could it would be intel and then i have
to pretty much buy everything new wich i cant , right iam babbling to much..

To the point..

Iam looking for a graphics card that will work with my system and give me a performance boost
over my old one , iam looking to play games like Far Cry 3 and well i could name others but basically recent
and new upcomeing titles at a resolution of 1920 x 1080p wich is my monitor's native resolution.

Iam looking to play on high and/or ultra settings most likely a mixture between settings and i want to
achieve a solid 60 fpx when possible.

i was looking at the HD 7950 and 7970 as possible replacement for my hd 6870
i looked at Nvidia as well but i have no experience with those cards so it doesnt tell me much
i am worried about 2 things :

1 : My cpu fx 6100 , possible bottleneck ?

2 : Psu 600 watt , too little power ?

as far as i can tell my system should me able to run a 7950 just fine , but that still leaves
me with the bottleneck question.

I know my cpu isnt a gaming beast intel takes the cake on that
but since i dont have money to pretty much build a new computer from scratch iam looking to give me a bit
better gaming experience wich i think should be possible iam tired of medium settings with a average of 45 fps
on games, i think it should be possible to get a more fluid experience , though i know my system is average.

I could sure use some advice from you guys on a possible upgrade and possible compatibility issues
My budget will be around 250 to 350 Euro's wich is about 330 to 465 USD ( give or take a few )

Thank you for reading and in advance for your reply.

Renew81.
5 answers Last reply
More about graphics card system compatibility
  1. Renew81 said:
    Hello people ,

    Right so first off i am new to this forum and english is not my native language so please
    excuse the typo's.

    Below are my current system specs :

    Cpu : fx 6100 ( 3.8 Mhz at the moment )
    Mobo : Sabertooth 990fx
    Memory : 8Gb 1600 ( i believe its Gskill )
    Psu : Ocz600mxsp
    Gpu : HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5

    Additional info :

    Cpu cooler : SpinQ VT
    Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster P2250

    I am currently saving up to purchase a new graphics card and will probably be able to afford
    it somewhere mid march.

    i dont have alot of money actually saving up is hard enough already so i cannot afford anything
    additional like a new Cpu or something though even if i could it would be intel and then i have
    to pretty much buy everything new wich i cant , right iam babbling to much..

    To the point..

    Iam looking for a graphics card that will work with my system and give me a performance boost
    over my old one , iam looking to play games like Far Cry 3 and well i could name others but basically recent
    and new upcomeing titles at a resolution of 1920 x 1080p wich is my monitor's native resolution.

    Iam looking to play on high and/or ultra settings most likely a mixture between settings and i want to
    achieve a solid 60 fpx when possible.

    i was looking at the HD 7950 and 7970 as possible replacement for my hd 6870
    i looked at Nvidia as well but i have no experience with those cards so it doesnt tell me much
    i am worried about 2 things :

    1 : My cpu fx 6100 , possible bottleneck ?

    2 : Psu 600 watt , too little power ?

    as far as i can tell my system should me able to run a 7950 just fine , but that still leaves
    me with the bottleneck question.

    I know my cpu isnt a gaming beast intel takes the cake on that
    but since i dont have money to pretty much build a new computer from scratch iam looking to give me a bit
    better gaming experience wich i think should be possible iam tired of medium settings with a average of 45 fps
    on games, i think it should be possible to get a more fluid experience , though i know my system is average.

    I could sure use some advice from you guys on a possible upgrade and possible compatibility issues
    My budget will be around 250 to 350 Euro's wich is about 330 to 465 USD ( give or take a few )

    Thank you for reading and in advance for your reply.

    Renew81.


    Hi - Your ocz 600w psu is enough for either of those cards.
    Don't know what pricing will be in mid march, but at least
    check out the NVidia 660ti, 670, & the 680 might be priced
    in your range at that time as well.

    I think your cpu will hold back gaming perf somewhat, but
    the 7950 represents a huge perf increas over a 6870 & you
    will realize some of that increase.
  2. Quote:
    Hi - Your ocz 600w psu is enough for either of those cards.
    Don't know what pricing will be in mid march, but at least
    check out the NVidia 660ti, 670, & the 680 might be priced
    in your range at that time as well.

    I think your cpu will hold back gaming perf somewhat, but
    the 7950 represents a huge perf increas over a 6870 & you
    will realize some of that increase.



    Thank you for the advice :)

    Well this certainly does not make it easyer though i took a look at the nvidia cards and tryed to get
    as much information as possible the 670 looks like a good card that can match the 7950 my eye was
    caught on the evga version :

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/EVGA/GeForce_GTX_670_FTW_SIG2_%2802G-P4-3677-KR%29/1035849/


    Though this card is above my budget ( not by much ) i will probably be able to afford it when it comes to actualy
    buying a card , anyways now iam totally confused i dont know if i should get a AMD ( 7950 3gb with boost ) or Nvidia ( 670 ftw sig 2 )

    i will do some more reasearch on that but anyone with experience in these cards please give me some advice if you can.
  3. Renew81 said:
    Quote:
    Hi - Your ocz 600w psu is enough for either of those cards.
    Don't know what pricing will be in mid march, but at least
    check out the NVidia 660ti, 670, & the 680 might be priced
    in your range at that time as well.

    I think your cpu will hold back gaming perf somewhat, but
    the 7950 represents a huge perf increas over a 6870 & you
    will realize some of that increase.



    Thank you for the advice :)

    Well this certainly does not make it easyer though i took a look at the nvidia cards and tryed to get
    as much information as possible the 670 looks like a good card that can match the 7950 my eye was
    caught on the evga version :

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/EVGA/GeForce_GTX_670_FTW_SIG2_%2802G-P4-3677-KR%29/1035849/


    Though this card is above my budget ( not by much ) i will probably be able to afford it when it comes to actualy
    buying a card , anyways now iam totally confused i dont know if i should get a AMD ( 7950 3gb with boost ) or Nvidia ( 670 ftw sig 2 )

    i will do some more reasearch on that but anyone with experience in these cards please give me some advice if you can.



    The good news is - at those levels(670,7970, etc) the perf is going to be very good,
    I don't think you can go wrong.
  4. Quote:
    The good news is - at those levels(670,7970, etc) the perf is going to be very good,
    I don't think you can go wrong.


    that is the same impression i got when looking for more information and benchmarks etc
    though the Nvidia has less memory and a 256 interface it doesnt seem to suffer from it performance wise.

    iam neither a amd or nvidia fan i have had both brands in the past but iam starting to lean more towards
    the Nvidia card since it seems to give a overall good performance on the games iam interested in at a res of
    1920 x1080 but i agree both cards look great.

    thank you.
  5. Renew81 said:
    Quote:
    The good news is - at those levels(670,7970, etc) the perf is going to be very good,
    I don't think you can go wrong.


    that is the same impression i got when looking for more information and benchmarks etc
    though the Nvidia has less memory and a 256 interface it doesnt seem to suffer from it performance wise.

    iam neither a amd or nvidia fan i have had both brands in the past but iam starting to lean more towards
    the Nvidia card since it seems to give a overall good performance on the games iam interested in at a res of
    1920 x1080 but i agree both cards look great.

    thank you.


    exactly - That's what I notice when I compare benches of similar cards in each
    of AMD & NVidia hiearchy, some game perform better with NVidia & others with AMD

    so you hit the nail on the head & pretty much answered your own question
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics