what kind of defect is this?

G

I've got an Athlon XP 1800+ on a Shuttle AK35GTR (onboard Highpoint RAID) with three Maxtor D740X 40GB drives (one formatted NTFS with Win XP and programs, and the other two in a RAID 0 config, FAT32, filled w/ misc data). I was trying to backup data from the RAID pair so that I could redo the thing w/ NTFS.

Anyways, while I was copying one particular file, Explorer stopped responding and a I heard a click from one of the drives not unlike that heard when powering down. Thereafter, any programs that attempted to access the RAID drives would also ignore me. I was also unable to properly shutdown the system. After powering down, I tried doing it again and the same stuff happened. The third time around, I did something different (and I'll be damned if I can remember exactly what it was), but I was able to get the RAID Administrator to complain at about 20 sec intervals that "Disk at Adapter1-Channel1-Device1 failed on command [ 28 00 00 02 f2 xx 00 00 yy 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ], where xx started at 00 and increased in increments of 08, and yy started at 70 and decreased in increments of 08. Each time, the error was preceeded by the clicking sound I mentioned.

Scandisk and Norton Disk Doctor don't seem to notice anything. SpinRite doesn't work with RAID. Other utilities to suggest? What's a good disk editor?

So, can anybody gimme a clue as to what's going on?

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
It sounds like you may have lost one of your hard drives. Where were you trying to back up the data to? In a raid 0 enviroment if file corruption or a disk failure occur, the whole stripe set is destroyed along with all of your data. Remove the HDDs and check them in another system to see or substitute them with the NTFS drive and see if they read.

en Xristos

G

But I forgot one very important detail: if I reboot, everything on the array works fine, unless of course I try to do something with the single, offending file.

Anyways, I've pretty much resigned to just backing-up everything else and testing the two drives separately. So that I have a starting point when I'm trying this, can you, or anybody else reading this, suggest a simple way of finding the physical location(s) of a particular file?