Sign in with
Your question

GPU Underclocking constantly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 10:05:32 AM

I have a Asus HD 7850, which has a default core clock of 870MHz, but looking at the MSI afterburner or Catalyst CC, it almost everytime runs at 400MHz?

And Yes it affects games, because i could Normally Run Crysis 1,2 Battlefield ect WITHOUT PROBLEMS!

But now Far Cry 3 runs so badly... I just wanna know how to lock the MHz to 870, because in MSI AB it says minimum 400MHz and Max 870MHz. I tried making lots of profiles, to lock it at 870 but it still just says minimum 400MHz...

I need to know what to do?!

CPU: Intel i7 920
PSU: Chieftech 850W (80+)
MOBO: gigabyte something

Please reply!!! thanks!!!!
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 10:19:52 AM

There is nothing wrong with that. My 7870 always reads 300 MHz in gpuz until I apply a load then it goes up to 1000. If you want to make sure the speed under load is correct then open gpuz and start a render test then look at clock speed. If that doesn't read 870 then you have a problem. From what you described it sounds like the clock speed is going up under load correctly.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 12:36:16 PM

I understand that, but before i was playing FC3, while monitoring Core Clock on my 2nd monitor.

I was playing and my Clock was at 870MHz and all of a sudden my screens go black and the "AMD driver failed and has recovered" and i checked to see my Core Clock, it was at 400Mhz for a split-second then returned to 870Mhz.

I can reduce this by starting the game as and Adminsistrato, but that only helps sometimes... If i don't start it as ADMinistratior, it's a nightmare... I can't make 2 steps without The black screens and Amd failure message...

In a diferent scenario i watch YT videos with my CC on 400mhz with no problems, but every once in a while my CC jumps on 870Mhz for a split second and the AMD message re-appears. It's quite annoying.

Can someone just tell me how to lock the Core Clock?

Thanks!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 12:59:23 PM

Sounds like you have a more serious problem than the core clock. You should try the new driver and driver sweeper or the overclock guide for uninstalling first. If that doesn't work might want to try a new gpu in your system to see if your 7850 is bad.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 1:37:15 PM

Kari said:
try the latest betas 13.2 beta 5 driver
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst1...
or the whql 13.1 ones, cause it sounds like you've got something more serious issues with the driver with all those constant fail/recoverys...

I tried the 13.2 Beta. I opened FC3 normally and after i entered the game i didn't make a signle step, a blue screen came. No Title like "Memory_management" or someting... Then i opened FC3 as an administrator and it worked better... for 30 minutes. After that it was worse than anything else!
It threw me out and in the game every second, screens going black and "Amd Driver failure thing", i wasn't monitoring the core clock sadly, but i'm sure it was jumping up&down...

So... Any other suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 2:04:03 PM

memory mangement? I wonder if your vram is dying. Can you test your gpu in another system?
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 2:11:41 PM

wanderer11 said:
memory mangement? I wonder if your vram is dying. Can you test your gpu in another system?

Dont worry about the RAM, its new and it works great, it was tested multiple time and has never given me an error. I was just using it as an example.

:) 

As for having another system to put the GPU there... I'Ll try my brother, but i doubt he will let me...

In a simple answer what do you think is wrong?
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 2:27:09 PM

I read your post wrong where you said "no message like memory management." My mistake. I'm leaning towards your gpu being bad or your psu. Chieftech isn't a great brand. Can you get your brother to let you use his psu in your system or his gpu in your system?
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 3:15:08 PM

wanderer11 said:
I read your post wrong where you said "no message like memory management." My mistake. I'm leaning towards your gpu being bad or your psu. Chieftech isn't a great brand. Can you get your brother to let you use his psu in your system or his gpu in your system?

Thanks for the info, but earlier today i tested my Bro's PSU and as i recall it didn't work any better... I'm getting a new MOBO and CPU Tommorow, because the MOBO also doesn't work very well... Do you think i should just buy a new PC?

Honestly, I'm afraid of putting $500 of new equipment (cpu and MoBO) in to some 5-year old Hardware...

what do you think?
February 8, 2013 3:32:55 PM

dont run games with browser opened, this same thing happened to me and i got it fixed by closing all browser windows
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 5:16:21 PM

I usually don't play games w/ browsers open... Just to make sure i closed ALL apps (Skype, Steam, Browsers...) But same problems... It actually stays on 400mhz even when playing thre most high-end games... So can someone just tell me how to lock my Core clock on MSI AFTERBURNER!??! I can't even play Freaking LFD2 With my friends!!! :( 

So, how can i lock it?
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 10:29:31 AM

How can you be so sure that the clocks jumping up'n'down is the cause for your troubles and not the result or side effect...
!