Having a little trouble with my Graphics Card

doctorwho62

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi there, and thanks for taking the time.

I'm having a little trouble with my custom built PC, and I think it is to do with my AMD Radeon HD7950.

First of all, the problem:

ZjZHsfn.jpg

Occasionally, my screen will flicker and display this, mostly when I am Gaming. Sometimes the colours are different, but it is always vertical
stripes just like in the picture.

When this first happened a couple of months ago, I thought it might have something to do with the HDMI being loose, but fiddling with that proved Futile.
I then read something about some high end graphics cards actually needing to heat up to a certain temperature before you can game, but
that didn't make sense as the majority of the time, I could turn the PC on and play games like Skyrim or Metro 2033 immediately without flaw.

Eventually, I had the idea to clean away the dust inside, so I opened it and removed as much as I could get to.
Then the problem seemed to immediately go away, but I think it is just coincidence, as a few hours later, it started again.
As far as I can tell, it isn't overheating either, as I have liquid cooling, and multiple fans in my case.
My computer is only a couple of months old, as I had it build around the beginning of December, so it surely can't be wear and tear so to speak.

I have a warranty for at least a year, so I am not desperate, I'd just prefer not to have to send it away and wait a month for it to get fixed.

My Specs:

CPU: Overclocked Intel Core i7-3770k Quad Core @ 4.60GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz
Graphics Card: 3GB AMD RADEON HD7950
Hard Disk: 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES TX650 V2-80 PLUS BRONZE
Processor Cooling: Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 5.1-Channel Gaming Audio Card
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Monitor: IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, 1920x1080

Thanks again for your time.

doctorwho62

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Well, I did as you suggested last night, and it seemed to be working. That is until this morning, where it happened again, and this time it caused my PC to blue screen.

You sure you did a registry clean?

doctorwho62

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Okay. I'm also going to uninstall the Driver again and run another registry clean, just in case I missed something the first time around.

Jacuubinator

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Hate to say this, but it might be the overclocking on your computer making it mess up. The sad truth is with overclocking is if you overdo it, the system sometimes can't handle the performance changes.