Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 680 Price Drop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2013 1:51:15 PM

In speculation of course, how much do you guys think the 680's price will drop with the release of the Titan?

I've been planning to build a really nice gaming rig for quite some time and have most of the parts. I've just been holding off on buying a graphic card because of the upcoming release of the next gen cards.

The Titan is supposed to be coming out near the end of this month or the start of next, by word of sources all over the net.

More about : gtx 680 price drop

a c 147 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 1:58:53 PM

I don't think there will be a price drop at all. With the speculated price of the Titan to be $899, it doesn't come anywhere near the 680. It's a card in it's own.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 1:58:56 PM

I doubt too much, it's not like they are really in the same "class" of GPU's, it may drop with the release of the 700's.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 1:59:06 PM

Nope it wont because Titan is not a replacement for the GTX 680 its in its own category!
Score

Best solution

a c 260 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 2:01:50 PM

Good question.

In the past, when Nvidia launched top end cards that were significantly faster than their predecessor, they were priced very high; IE: what the traffic will bear.

Usually, a lower priced alternative was launched at a more reasonable price.

I think anything that is launched that does not significantly exceed the performance of current offerings will have to be priced at a decent price/performance level .
So the GTX680 will still be sold to compete with the 7970.

Until the technology changes from 28nm to 22nm, there will be little reduction in Nvidia's cost to produce cards, and no great reason to reduce prices.

My advice:

If you are looking at a GTX680 class card or less, you might as well buy now.

If you are looking at GTX690 class power, or sli GTX670, then wait to see what the top end brings.
February 8, 2013 2:30:04 PM

Actually I was looking into SLI 680s if the price drops by a decent margin. Even $50 would be $100 savings on two cards. I'm going to wait for the Titan to come out in the next couple months and see.

Hopeful thinking.
Score
a c 260 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 2:38:52 PM

Apanzee said:
Actually I was looking into SLI 680s if the price drops by a decent margin. Even $50 would be $100 savings on two cards. I'm going to wait for the Titan to come out in the next couple months and see.

Hopeful thinking.

What should drop in price would be the GTX690.

Regardless, I would favor a strong single card over dual cards.
Score
February 8, 2013 2:47:23 PM

Me too, but I'm stuck waiting to see the official release price of the Titan before I make any judgement calls. I just got a new job working for SRI Building - we build walls and roofs and then ship them on flatbeds to the building site where they're raised into place with cranes. Needless to say I'm making good money right now.

I just don't really know if the extra 200-500 bucks is going to be worth getting the Titan over SLI 680s or a 690.

I was looking into a FirePro series card from AMD a while ago, the kind they use at companies like Pixar for creating animated movies. They run about three grand though, so I'm not willing to drop that kind of dough on a single component when I can buy a whole PC for that.

After release I'll do some research on benchmarks and pricing trends and make my call then.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 3:26:04 PM

Firepro also wouldn't be a gaming card (nor the quatro's either) those are for professional CAD work.
Score
February 8, 2013 3:28:11 PM

I realize that. The PC won't be just for gaming. I do a handful of scripting/testing as well and often run numerous VMs. A card that powerful I'm sure would handle a couple games as well :p 
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 3:38:09 PM

Apanzee said:

I just don't really know if the extra 200-500 bucks is going to be worth getting the Titan over SLI 680s or a 690.

At ~$900 the titan will be the same or cheaper than SLI 680 or GTX 690... If you have plans to do SLI or a dual GPU waiting the 2-3 weeks to see Titans performance would be ideal.. A single GPU performing the same as dual gpu/sli without the down falls of sli would be very nice.
Score
a c 260 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 3:43:45 PM

Derza10 said:
At ~$900 the titan will be the same or cheaper than SLI 680 or GTX 690... If you have plans to do SLI or a dual GPU waiting the 2-3 weeks to see Titans performance would be ideal.. A single GPU performing the same as dual gpu/sli without the down falls of sli would be very nice.

Agree.

And don't forget that you will need 100-200W less for the psu, less case cooling, and no need for a sli capable motherboard.
These may take a bit of the $ sting out.
Score
February 8, 2013 3:49:13 PM

Cool, well I'm going to go ahead and close this thread since I got about as much feedback as I was looking for. I'm going to wait for the Titan regardless, and quite possibly go for that if it's within the price range of a 690 or two 680s.
Score
February 8, 2013 3:49:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Apanzee
Score
February 8, 2013 3:50:41 PM

Best answer selected by apanzee.
Score
!