Upgrading an old war horse.

zephzee

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I have an old computer for which I recently replaced the motherboard. The current configuration is as follows.

I need a new graphics card for it.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Motherboard: Digilite G41 Socket 775 with PCIe 2.0 x 16 and PCIe slots.
Ram: Adata 2 GB DDR3 1066 DIMM
3 year Old Seagate 7200 rpm hard disk.
3 year Old Samsung DVD+/- RW
Power Supply Unit: 6 year old local one, it's failed my components a number of times

I want to upgrade 2 things: Graphics card and Power Supply Unit

Which graphics card do you recommend?

Also, is this PSU good enough?

Solution
A 7750 will work with as little as a 300w psu. It is powered only by the 75w pcie-x16 slot.

Gigabyte is a reputable company, but I know nothing about the quality of their units.
As to quality, this guide may help you. Do not go cheap on the psu, it may turn out to be very expensive if it gails and damages everything it is connected to:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Do not pay much attention to gold/silver or even 80+ efficiency ratings. You will not recoup any extra expense paid for more efficient psu's.

zephzee

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
It's expensive to get a 80+ rated PSU here, let alone a 80+ gold or 80+ silver one. So I used a local one which showed 500W without realizing it was never delivering that much power.

Does the PSU which I linked in the first post sound good enough?

A 7750 will work with as little as a 300w psu. It is powered only by the 75w pcie-x16 slot.

Gigabyte is a reputable company, but I know nothing about the quality of their units.
As to quality, this guide may help you. Do not go cheap on the psu, it may turn out to be very expensive if it gails and damages everything it is connected to:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Do not pay much attention to gold/silver or even 80+ efficiency ratings. You will not recoup any extra expense paid for more efficient psu's.

Solution
I would not go near that gigabyte PSU. It only has 360W on the 12V and is only rated 450W continous and they are selling it as a 550W. That's asking for trouble.

80+ silver and gold are always expensive and no one really needs one. Bronze is perfectly fine