Status
Not open for further replies.

nat

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I have never had a problem with 10 feet but I have with 15 and longer.
having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords. The
environment becomes really important as you get longer

Danny wrote:

> having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

Major or minor?

In article <e6236419.0408211332.6517bbac@posting.google.com> ot7doc@yahoo.com writes:

> For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
> start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

Long enough to reach from the shower to the guitar.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <e6236419.0408211332.6517bbac@posting.google.com> ot7doc@yahoo.com writes:
>

>>For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
>>start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?
>

> Long enough to reach from the shower to the guitar.

You realize someone will try this and then sue you .... or their family
will :)

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <e6236419.0408211332.6517bbac@posting.google.com> ot7doc@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
> > start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?
>
> Long enough to reach from the shower to the guitar.

LMAO !

Graham.

p.s. there should be some issues involved in operating electrical equipment that close to
a bath / shower.

The OP should consider investing in an ELCB/RCCD device or whatever you normally call
them in the USA.

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> Danny wrote:
>

>> having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

> Major or minor?

Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...

- Logan

"Nat" <ot7doc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
> start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

I suspect that the big issue is capacitive loading of the inductive pickup
by cable capacitance and the direct box itself.

XLRs aren't going to help. An active direct box would probably help the
most. A good transformer-based direct box can buy you a lot.

nat

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> You realize someone will try this and then sue you .... or their family
> will :)

Ha. I'm a trial lawyer, and I already have the Complaint together.
Expect service within a week.

Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

>p.s. there should be some issues involved in operating electrical equipment that close to
>a bath / shower.
>
>The OP should consider investing in an ELCB/RCCD device or whatever you normally call
>them in the USA.

Or a pignose! Sounds really good! Won't hurt you if it falls in the tub!
Probably will even keep working if it falls in the tub.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Probably will even keep working if it falls in the tub.

Wow! I'll try that!

Nat wrote:

>For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
>start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

It's not like there is a length where it's suddenly too long. Whether
recording or otherwise performing, the answer is when your ears tell you
that the cable length is resulting in unacceptible high frequency loss.

mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.comedy> wrote:

> Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> > Danny wrote:

> >> having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

> > Major or minor?

> Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
> a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...

You'd need pretty big lungs to work a pipe that long.

--
ha

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <1giz1vc.10coooyakfb8gN%walkinay@thegrid.net>,
walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote:

> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.comedy> wrote:
>
> > Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> > > Major or minor?
>
> > Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
> > a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...
>
> You'd need pretty big lungs to work a pipe that long.
>
> --
> ha

It took a crew of 3 to work our 14 foot pvc bong in college
george

>Nat wrote:
>
>>For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
>>start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

I'm just asking, but have you not tryed pluging into a guitar amp and sticking
a mic in front of it?

Raymond <bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote:
>>Nat wrote:
>>
>>>For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
>>>start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?
>
>I'm just asking, but have you not tryed pluging into a guitar amp and sticking
>a mic in front of it?

The problem is that sometimes you don't want to be right in front of the
amp when you're doing that. Sometimes you have a guy with some massive
Marshall stack and you want it in another room altogether from the performer
just so he doesn't destroy his hearing. This means long cables.
A shame the Les Paul Recording pickups never caught on.
--scott

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:33:53 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>> Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
>> a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...
>
>You'd need pretty big lungs to work a pipe that long.

A Bb tuba with its valves down is that sort of length.

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Raymond <bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote:

> >I'm just asking, but have you not tryed pluging into a guitar amp and sticking
> >a mic in front of it?
>
> The problem is that sometimes you don't want to be right in front of the
> amp when you're doing that. Sometimes you have a guy with some massive
> Marshall stack and you want it in another room altogether from the performer
> just so he doesn't destroy his hearing. This means long cables.
> A shame the Les Paul Recording pickups never caught on.

Talking of loud amps and trying to isolate them, reminds me of the time I removed
an API console from Command Studios London back in ahem 1973.

It was installed in the control room of the then famous 'rock box' studio in the
basement. The isolation booths were a sight to see and unique in their day IIRC.
Massive solid construction with doors that could be closed to the rest of the
studio.

Control room was triple glazed too ! Had to take the desk out through it which
saved a certain Malcolm Toft having to pay for someone to remove the glass.

Graham

nat

> > >I'm just asking, but have you not tryed pluging into a guitar amp and sticking
> > >a mic in front of it?
> >
> > The problem is that sometimes you don't want to be right in front of the
> > amp when you're doing that. Sometimes you have a guy with some massive
> > Marshall stack and you want it in another room altogether from the performer
> > just so he doesn't destroy his hearing. This means long cables.
> > A shame the Les Paul Recording pickups never caught on.

I've historically kept the amp in the same room I'm in, but monitoring
like that is a pain. I've actually worn earplugs under my headphones,
and that's no fun.