Moving Hard Drives, Speed, USB

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
May 28, 2005 7:37:49 PM

Several questions:

1) I have a 5040 and a 5080. I have a 160GB drive to put into the 5040,
but since the Ethernet port on the 5040 is blown, I would like to put it
in the 5080, instead. Can I move the 80GB drive to the 5040 without
having to use RTVPatch?

2) Is 370KB/s a proper speed for downloading from a 5080?

3) Is there any way to use the USB port on the 5040 to download shows?
If not, what's the USB port for?
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:37:50 PM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 15:37:49 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Several questions:
>
>1) I have a 5040 and a 5080. I have a 160GB drive to put into the 5040,
>but since the Ethernet port on the 5040 is blown, I would like to put it
>in the 5080, instead. Can I move the 80GB drive to the 5040 without
>having to use RTVPatch?

It could be easier to try it.

>2) Is 370KB/s a proper speed for downloading from a 5080?

370 should be fine. I use 600 on one of my Replays and 1200 on the
other two. Both download properly. The difference is that the first
Replay is the one I use regularly (non-remotely) and 1200 causes
extreme control latency.

>3) Is there any way to use the USB port on the 5040 to download shows?
>If not, what's the USB port for?

The USB port is for future use (if the software is updated for it). It
is currently completely non-functional. It doesn't even provide power.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:26:05 AM

The USB port is not enabled on Replays, Replay says they had plans, but
alas, they never got a round tuit as it were

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

I guess it was used as a selling point.

>The USB port is not enabled on Replays, Replay says they had plans, but
>alas, they never got a round tuit as it were
>
>mcp6453 wrote:
>> Several questions:
>>
>> 1) I have a 5040 and a 5080. I have a 160GB drive to put into the 5040,
>> but since the Ethernet port on the 5040 is blown, I would like to put it
>> in the 5080, instead. Can I move the 80GB drive to the 5040 without
>> having to use RTVPatch?
>>
>> 2) Is 370KB/s a proper speed for downloading from a 5080?
>>
>> 3) Is there any way to use the USB port on the 5040 to download shows?
>> If not, what's the USB port for?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:08:29 AM

one@atime.com wrote:

> I guess it was used as a selling point.
>

>>The USB port is not enabled on Replays, Replay says they had plans, but
>>alas, they never got a round tuit as it were

It was never mentioned anywhere except in specification charts.

Selling point for what?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:49:41 AM

More like an unfulfilled promise......

>I guess it was used as a selling point.
>
>>The USB port is not enabled on Replays, Replay says they had plans, but
>>alas, they never got a round tuit as it were
7
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:49:42 AM

bottomfeeder wrote:
> More like an unfulfilled promise......
>

>>I guess it was used as a selling point.
>>

>>>The USB port is not enabled on Replays, Replay says they had plans, but
>>>alas, they never got a round tuit as it were

Just curious, what would the "promise" be?

What would you use the USB port for?

It was originally intended for drive expansion in the days when drives
cost a fortune. Now with drives .35/gig, it became superfluous.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:34:28 PM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:07:01 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>bottomfeeder wrote:
>> More like an unfulfilled promise......
>>

>>>I guess it was used as a selling point.

>Just curious, what would the "promise" be?
>
>What would you use the USB port for?
>
>It was originally intended for drive expansion in the days when drives
>cost a fortune.

The expansion port on the first Replays was firewire, not USB. The
2xxx and 3xxx Replays did not have USB ports.

>Now with drives .35/gig, it became superfluous.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
May 30, 2005 5:12:20 PM

USB Wireless networking module
USB Wireless remote extender unit
USB camera video input
USB camera photo input
USB external hardddrive
USB flash drive input/output
USB external modem
USB external tv tuner

>> More like an unfulfilled promise......
>>

>>>I guess it was used as a selling point.

>Just curious, what would the "promise" be?
>
>What would you use the USB port for?
>
>It was originally intended for drive expansion in the days when drives
>cost a fortune. Now with drives .35/gig, it became superfluous.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:20:20 PM

one@atime.com wrote:
> USB Wireless networking module
> USB Wireless remote extender unit
> USB camera video input
> USB camera photo input
> USB external hardddrive
> USB flash drive input/output
> USB external modem
> USB external tv tuner

1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
about a Windows PC
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:22:39 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:20:20 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>one@atime.com wrote:
>> USB Wireless networking module
>> USB Wireless remote extender unit
>> USB camera video input
>> USB camera photo input
>> USB external hardddrive
>> USB flash drive input/output
>> USB external modem
>> USB external tv tuner
>>

>1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
>are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
>about a Windows PC

Why should #7 "USB external modem" and #8 "USB external tv tuner" be
treated differenlt?. Neither would be of any use unless the
corresponding internal component in the Replay was defective.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:28:40 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:12:20 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:

>USB Wireless networking module

Note that it's better to use wired networking whenever possible.

>USB Wireless remote extender unit

>USB camera video input

Why bother with USB. Just use one of the existing audio/video inputs
and let the Replay digitize the signal.

>USB camera photo input

There's usually no need for such a device, You can use a flash card
reader (as listed below).

>USB external hardddrive
>USB flash drive input/output

The PC treats a flash drive the same as any other drive, so the 2
above could be expected to be ONE device type.

>USB external modem
>USB external tv tuner

These 2 would be useless unless the internal component in the Replay
was defective.

And you left out what may be the most useful of all, a USB KEYBOARD.

>>> More like an unfulfilled promise......

>>Just curious, what would the "promise" be?
>>
>>What would you use the USB port for?
>>
>>It was originally intended for drive expansion in the days when drives
>>cost a fortune. Now with drives .35/gig, it became superfluous.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:18:08 PM

>>one@atime.com wrote:
>>> USB Wireless networking module
>>> USB Wireless remote extender unit
>>> USB camera video input
>>> USB camera photo input
>>> USB external hardddrive
>>> USB flash drive input/output
>>> USB external modem
>>> USB external tv tuner
8. USB easier hackability of replay unit
9. USB video camera surveillance

#7, external modem, would be an easy fix if the internal modem went
belly up.

#8, external tv tuner, 2 tuners would be better than 1.

Anyways, this was not suppose to be a complete list, just a beginning
to why a working usb would be better than a non-working usb.

I believe Replaytv had no intention of ever turning on the usb
function.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:20:33 PM

I would rather have the usb function turned on.
The last 2 items should be numbered 9. and 10.

> 9. USB easier hackability of replay unit
> 10. USB video camera surveillance
>
>>>1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
>>>are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
>>>about a Windows PC
>>
>>Why should #7 "USB external modem" and #8 "USB external tv tuner" be
>>treated differenlt?. Neither would be of any use unless the
>>corresponding internal component in the Replay was defective.
>#7, external modem, would be an easy fix if the internal modem went
>belly up.
>#8, external tv tuner, 2 tuners would be better than 1.
>Anyways, this was not suppose to be a complete list, just a beginning
>to why a working usb would be better than a non-working usb.
>I believe Replaytv had no intention of ever turning on the usb
>function.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:13:16 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:18:08 -0400, eat@joes.com wrote:

> 8. USB easier hackability of replay unit

Did you count wrong? There are already 8 devices listed. Anyway, what
sort of device is this?

Hacking would be something done on an existing network connection, not
some additional device.

> 9. USB video camera surveillance

That's not a device either, but something you could do with #3 that
was already listed, or (more likely) existing A/V inputs.

>>>1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
>>>are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
>>>about a Windows PC
>>
>>Why should #7 "USB external modem" and #8 "USB external tv tuner" be
>>treated differenlt?. Neither would be of any use unless the
>>corresponding internal component in the Replay was defective.
>
>#7, external modem, would be an easy fix if the internal modem went
>belly up.

Yes, same thing for an external tuner.

>#8, external tv tuner, 2 tuners would be better than 1.

Are you thinking of being able to record 2 channels at once?

The Replay has ONE MPEG encoder and is designed to record ONE thing at
a time.

What's actually needed here is a way for 2 (or more) Replays to
communicate with each to handle simultaneous recording. Originally I
thought of a seperate control cable, but that isn't needed any more
(since you've got a network connection).

>Anyways, this was not suppose to be a complete list, just a beginning
>to why a working usb would be better than a non-working usb.
>
>I believe Replaytv had no intention of ever turning on the usb
>function.

That's the way it looks.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:30:29 AM

Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability to
record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:20:20 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>one@atime.com wrote:
>>
>>>USB Wireless networking module
>>>USB Wireless remote extender unit
>>>USB camera video input
>>>USB camera photo input
>>>USB external hardddrive
>>>USB flash drive input/output
>>>USB external modem
>>>USB external tv tuner
>>>

>>1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
>>are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
>>about a Windows PC
>

> Why should #7 "USB external modem" and #8 "USB external tv tuner" be
> treated differenlt?. Neither would be of any use unless the
> corresponding internal component in the Replay was defective.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:30:30 AM

John in Detroit wrote:

> Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability to
> record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful

No, it couldn't. The Replay would not be able to process and encode the
data stream from 2 tuners at the same time.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:31:40 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:30:29 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability to
>record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful

It would be useful, but the Replay won't do it. It won't make 2
recordings at the same time. The only way you could use an external
tuner would be bypassing the internal tuner.

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>1 and 7 are unnecessary and other than the external drive, the others
>>>are just ridiculous to think would be supported. You are not talking
>>>about a Windows PC
>>

>> Why should #7 "USB external modem" and #8 "USB external tv tuner" be
>> treated differenlt?. Neither would be of any use unless the
>> corresponding internal component in the Replay was defective.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:32:30 PM

"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D bGdnTGlKtOcQAbfRVn-og@comcast.com...
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
> > Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability to
> > record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful
> >
> No, it couldn't. The Replay would not be able to process and encode the
> data stream from 2 tuners at the same time.

Yes, it could. Much like with existing external USB TV tuner/PVR devices
the encoding happens within the external unit, so the Replay would only need
to store the encoded data stream to disk (along w/ whatever indexing is
necessary).
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:38:19 PM

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:12:20 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:
>
> >USB Wireless networking module
>
> Note that it's better to use wired networking whenever possible.

Yes, but the list appears to have been put together as a brainstorming
effort in answer to the "why USB?" question, rather than an authoritative
list of high priority feature requests.

Also, much like the earlier comment regarding using the USB port as a backup
for a dead modem, the USB port could be used to plug-in a wireless *or
wired* Ethernet adapter in the event the built-in port goes South.

> >USB camera video input
>
> Why bother with USB. Just use one of the existing audio/video inputs
> and let the Replay digitize the signal.

Input ports could be otherwise occupied w/ connections from a satelite box,
DVD, etc.

Again, what's the point of criticizing the list? Especially in light of the
fact that the USB port will never be enabled?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:46:47 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:32:30 -0500, "Karl Kaufman"
<krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:D bGdnTGlKtOcQAbfRVn-og@comcast.com...
>> John in Detroit wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability to
>> > record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful
>> >
>> No, it couldn't. The Replay would not be able to process and encode the
>> data stream from 2 tuners at the same time.
>
>Yes, it could. Much like with existing external USB TV tuner/PVR devices
>the encoding happens within the external unit, so the Replay would only need
>to store the encoded data stream to disk (along w/ whatever indexing is
>necessary).

Yes, you could have an external device that does the encoding
(providing a digital stream that's already MPEG). However:

1. It's unlikey that the device would produce MPEG exactly the way the
Replay requires it.

2. The Replay still does not do 2 recordings at the same time,
regardless of the encoder(s) being used. If this is even possible with
the current hardware, it would take an extensive software rewrite.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:01:03 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:38:19 -0500, "Karl Kaufman"
<krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:12:20 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:
>>
>> >USB Wireless networking module
>>
>> Note that it's better to use wired networking whenever possible.
>
>Yes, but the list appears to have been put together as a brainstorming
>effort in answer to the "why USB?" question, rather than an authoritative
>list of high priority feature requests.

Yes. And why do you consider it wrong to add additional information?

>Also, much like the earlier comment regarding using the USB port as a backup
>for a dead modem, the USB port could be used to plug-in a wireless *or
>wired* Ethernet adapter in the event the built-in port goes South.

Yes.

>> >USB camera video input
>>
>> Why bother with USB. Just use one of the existing audio/video inputs
>> and let the Replay digitize the signal.
>
>Input ports could be otherwise occupied w/ connections from a satelite box,
>DVD, etc.

Yes, this could become an additional input, letting you connect a
fourth source. However, I think the idea of making multiple Replays
work together would be better (think about that, if you have 2 shows
you want and 2 Replays, why should they make the SAME decision about
which to record).

>Again, what's the point of criticizing the list? Especially in light of the
>fact that the USB port will never be enabled?

Why should you limit your thinking that way? Important inventions are
made by avoiding such limitations (consider that to invent something,
you first imagine something that doesn't YET exist).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:59:45 PM

That all depends Tony... If the external tuner did the encoding, then
all the replay would have to do is record it.

I use a tuner card in one of my computers... Far as I know it outputs MPG

Tony D wrote:
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability
>> to record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful
>>
> No, it couldn't. The Replay would not be able to process and encode the
> data stream from 2 tuners at the same time.

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:59:46 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:59:45 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>That all depends Tony... If the external tuner did the encoding, then
>all the replay would have to do is record it.
>
>I use a tuner card in one of my computers... Far as I know it outputs MPG

However PC software is usually much more flexible in how it requires
MPEG streams to be formatted. The Replay is much more strict.

Can the Replay even handle 2 incoming strreams at once?

>Tony D wrote:
>> John in Detroit wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, I don't know,,,, A USB external tuner might give you the ability
>>> to record 2 channels of programming at one time... Very useful
>>>
>> No, it couldn't. The Replay would not be able to process and encode the
>> data stream from 2 tuners at the same time.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:02:46 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> It would be useful, but the Replay won't do it. It won't make 2
> recordings at the same time. The only way you could use an external
> tuner would be bypassing the internal tuner.

You are correct in part Mark but you are not thinking fully here

Fact: The usb port is not active so this is all speculation

Fact: Most computers INCLUDING THE REPLAY are able to have more than one
file open on a disk at one time, (Replays routinely keep 2 files open,
or one file open twice, one for read, one for write) There is no
HARDWARE reason it can not have 3 or 4 or more files open at one time

FACT: If someone were to write the code to allow the replay to operate
an external tuner via USB, adding the code to have it record the stream
would be fairly easy

FACT: i'm no where good enough to write the code

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:02:47 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:02:46 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> It would be useful, but the Replay won't do it. It won't make 2
>> recordings at the same time. The only way you could use an external
>> tuner would be bypassing the internal tuner.
>
>You are correct in part Mark but you are not thinking fully here
>
>Fact: The usb port is not active so this is all speculation

True, and according to my testing (on both pre <5500 and 55xx models)
does not even provide power.

>Fact: Most computers INCLUDING THE REPLAY are able to have more than one
>file open on a disk at one time,

Depending on CPU speed and other resources. They probably could if the
streams are encoded in hardware.

>(Replays routinely keep 2 files open,
>or one file open twice, one for read, one for write) There is no
>HARDWARE reason it can not have 3 or 4 or more files open at one time

Maybe not. Currently, the Replay assigns highest priority to the task
of recording. So, when the Replay is overloaded, recording is not
effected as much. Is the hardware really capable of TWO such tasks?

>FACT: If someone were to write the code to allow the replay to operate
>an external tuner via USB, adding the code to have it record the stream
>would be fairly easy

AS WELL as any other source, or INSTEAD OF it?

>FACT: i'm no where good enough to write the code

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:31:56 AM

At this time the Replay can not, but since we are speculating about what
they could have used the USB port for, remember it's all speculation,
that means they could easily program to deal with any and all issues
re-the precise format of the stream and/or multiple channel issues

You have to remember this is all "What if" that we are playing here

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> However PC software is usually much more flexible in how it requires
> MPEG streams to be formatted. The Replay is much more strict.
>
> Can the Replay even handle 2 incoming strreams at once?

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:59:03 AM

Mark, recording a 2nd, already encoded, stream takes next to no
processor time so yes, it should be able to do both streams at one time

I checked for power on the USB port too.... I could have used it just
for power if it had any, I have several devices that use USB power and
no data feed at all

!