MSI r7970 getting HOT

jeboots

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
Just bought the MSI R7970 lightning. I have not overclocked it or any thing. I ran "Medal Of Honor Warfighter" on ultra and my temps were getting like 90 degrees C. I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor the specs. I setup a custom fan curve with afterburner. Is this normal for this card?
Thanks for the help.

jeboots

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
Just bought the MSI R7970 lightning. I have not overclocked it or any thing. I ran "Medal Of Honor Warfighter" on ultra and my temps were getting like 90 degrees C. I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor the specs. I setup a custom fan curve with afterburner. Is this normal for this card?
Thanks for the help.

You probably have the fan profile too conservative. Run somthing like MSI Komustor for a few minutes, set a static fan speed of around 80% and keep going down until temperatures settle at around 75C. Then you know how much speed you need in a high load situation, and can put it into the fan profile.

90C is far too hot.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
if the card is new, taking it apart will void ur warranty.

if under full load, the card still gets that hot with max fan, then something is wrong. maybe RMA and see if the next one is better. or adjust ur case ventilation

TRENDING THREADS