HD3D on ASUS monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcezy_69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I have a AMD 6970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127581

and already ordered an ASUS 27in 3D monitor VG278H http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990495&CatId=3774

My question is will i be able to play in 3D with this this monitor or should i return it for a different monitor compatible with my card. My gpu is only a year old so not really trying to upgrade that to nvidia just yet.

From what i understand Nvidia uses dual link dvi and amd uses display port. Since i have amd and the new monitor doesn't have display port, could i simply buy a dvi to display port adapter to make it work? I really dont want to open the box to try so i can send back for one that will work.

Solution

Dcezy_69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Well it's not gonna work unless someone has another solution? I hooked it up and before even doing anything it would not let me change the refresh rate to 120hz. Tried to install the cd drivers and says it cant detect a gpu. So unless i want stuck with a really expensive screen that does what a cheap could do better i gotta return it. sigh.....

Dcezy_69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
No, havent purchased the adapter. I was going to just keep the screen for the 2D until maybe a year or 2 and get a NVIDA card, but the drivers wont install so im unable to change refresh rate to 120, just generic PnP 60hz, and in Catalyst it lets me go to 75hz but at a lower res. For 600 US i could get something way better that does 60hz. What makes me mad is tigerdirect didnt specify that you NEEDED nvidia. I went on newegg and it does say it there but in super small print lol but atleast it says it.

That monitor will not work in 3D using that video card while using DVI-D. You'll be able to use it using HDMI, but that willl limit you to 720p for 60hz 3D gaming, or 1080p at 24hz.

That monitor is meant for Nvidia 3D Vision, which really is the best way to go for 3D Vision. Not only is the support a little better, but there is a great mod community that has fixed many games that normally do not work well in 3D, but only for Nvidia users.
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

Considering that most people tend to reuse their monitor for many years longer than they reuse video cards, I'd recommend replacing the video card with an Nvidia card.

Without using a dual link DVI-D connection, you won't be able to use 120hz. If your video card has no Dual Link DVI-D connections, you'll need a displayport to dual link dvi-d adapter.

Looking at your video card, you should have a dual link DVI-D port. It may only be one of the 2 DVI-D ports that support it, so try both, and use the dual link DVI-D cable that came with the monitor.

Dcezy_69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Holy crap, you're the man thank you. Realized i had a DVI-D (single link), used the one that came with the monitor and now have 120hz!!! Only worked on the top dvi slot on my gpu.

Now you said that it will work in 3D, but only on hdmi in 720, but can't i use a dvi to display port adapter to make 3D work?
Or is there a software that emulates it. Not familiar but heard of tridef and some other ones that launch 3d apps/games.

No doubt this monitor is sick, but got it for the 3d and refresh rate, and the 50mill:1 ratio is def nice. But not being able to use the 3d kinda makes it a rough decision to hold on to. In one light i see hd3d vs nvidia like Hd Dvd and Blu-ray and we all know how that worked out, or is it like microsoft and apple and will always be around. Blah Blah Blah im going on forever what should i do???? lol

The monitor you have is using the Nvidia 3D Vision standards on the DVD-D connection and HD3D standard on HDMI. You cannot interchange them. The HDMI connection will allow you to use AMD GPU's in HD3D, PS3 and 3D BluRay players, but they won't work with the DVD-D connection. As a result of this, you cannot use HD3D, even with Tridef while using DVD-D on your current GPU. You'd have to change it out for an Nvidia card to use the DVD-D connection for 3D.

Like I said, that monitor is not meant for AMD HD3D, but because the HDMI 1.4a option, for PS3 and BluRay support AMD as well, you can get it to work, just not optimally. You will need Tridef or IZ3D software to utilize it with your AMD card, but it is still limited to HD3D hardware, which that monitor only supports through HDMI 1.4a.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.