How did Comcast Know?

G

I just set up MS Proxy Server 2.0 with my Comcast @home connection. After about two weeks I got an email from Comcast saying that it is against their policy to run IIS on my system. Can someone tell me what to disable so they don't know I'm running Proxy and if I do want to host a web/ftp server can I still do it? Thanks in advance.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
It just so happens you had bad timing. Undoubtedly they're sniffing around for that sort of stuff in a big way due to code red.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

I'm a little new to this whole thing. Can you offer any alternatives? Thanks.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you want security dont use windows... at all... and try not to use proxies... use net forwarding and a firewall... a lot more efficient

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

The email actually did say that I needed the code red patch from MS. They even sent me the link to the web site to download it. Then, in the very next sentence they said that it is against their policy to run a web server! So, do you think that they will shut me down? I'm running a web server, just Proxy Server.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
You mean you're "NOT" running IIS? Anyway, do the router box thing as the previous poster suggested. It's the only way to fly

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

they could cancel you subscription. i wouldnt mess with it.....would suck to go back to a modem, huh? i would throw myself out the window. its in the contract that running servers of any kind is a violation of the contract. they have to notify you by mail first, then if you dont stop, they can pull the plug (and have before)...

ignore everything i say